brush sets

P

philgashead

I have come back to modleing after a 20 year break and am asking what is the best all purpose brush sets are out there thanks

A

Awins

\ said:
I have come back to modleing after a 20 year break and am asking what is the best all purpose brush sets are out there thanks
Ive returned back to building kits too this year also after a 20 years plus gap. I have found bith Humbrol and Italerie good budget brushes. Windsor & Newton are exceptional quality but VERY expensive. Welcome back to modeling.

L

Laurie

Welcome back Phil to madness and frustration.

A lot depends on which type of paint you are using. Most brushes are produced for specific reasons. Oils or acrylic.

I use acrylics and keep with brushes made for that in mind. How much difference this makes is any bodies guess.

I go for good brushes as they have a spring. I use the spring as you can push against it steady your hand and brush

to the line you want to follow. Worked in architecture in the days when plans had to be rendered with water colour.

We always used top brushes to maintain the accuracy.

Laurie

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Any brush that has a fine bristle and has a spring in it sable hair are good and italeri make some reasonable priced ones but their nylon ones arnt bad either , but in reality it's not the brush that makes a brush painter its practice, I have been using brushes for years and I can get the same results from any brush no mater what the cost

My advice is get some reasonable priced brushes and practice :smiling3:

B

Benhur

I would say go to an artists supply site and buy a good set of brushes. Expensive yes but mine last for years.

As Alan says the painter is the main thing but as I am not a great painter I do find the better quality brushes give me better results. Important to look after a good brush set and clean them after each session and store properly.