Building the IMARA TUG

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sky Raider

With the completion of the SMIT HUNTER its time to move onto the next project. We havent seen the last of the Hunter yet, i will post the video and some pics of her first maiden voyage as soon as i get her to the boat club.

This kit has some 1400+ parts and should keep me busy for quite some time. As you will see the kit is quite detailed and should prove to be a impressive build.

I will start with a look at the kit itself so you get some idea of the fun ahead, as yet im still to obtain quite a few parts such as motors etc, im not sure on the sound unit as yet as this was a steam boat but it will have all the bells and whistles added just like the Hunter.

The kit information with one of the several drawings.

View attachment 59330View attachment 59331View attachment 59332

The Kit

View attachment 59333View attachment 59334View attachment 59335

The Decking

View attachment 59336

The Cabin

View attachment 59337

The Hull

View attachment 59338View attachment 59339View attachment 59340View attachment 59341View attachment 59342View attachment 59343

Hope you will all follow me on this journey.

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 61125

View attachment 61126

View attachment 61127

View attachment 61128

View attachment 61129

View attachment 61130

View attachment 61131

View attachment 61132

View attachment 61133

View attachment 61134

View attachment 61135

View attachment 61136

View attachment 61137

View attachment 61138

The Begining 1.jpg

The Begining 2.jpg

The Begining 3.jpg

The Parts 1.jpg

The Parts 2.jpg

The Parts 3.jpg

Decking.jpg

The Cabin.jpg

The Hull 1.jpg

The Hull 2.jpg

The Hull 3.jpg

The Hull 4.jpg

The Hull 5.jpg

The Hull 6.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You got it bad haven't you!! LOL

Direct from one great boat build into the next one!!!

Looks a nice tug. I prefer the older ones.

Now you say that this was a steamer. If you need a good steam sound...... out a steam engine in it!!!

I am sure that Richard will be able to help you out on that one.

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Lol, thank you Ian, I have been contemplating a steam plant but not quite sure yet. I like the models that have the steam plant on display and may build one of those next... it would be a shame to hide the plant inside the hull. The other factor to consider is that this is the twin screw version and may prove to be a little tricky and highly costly. I havent ruled it out as yet and need to weigh up the options and costs.

Cheers

Andy

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
I can't wait to see how this comes together Andy.

Looking forward to a great build thread.

Tony.

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Tony, i think its going to be a long hard but enjoyable slog. Lets see if i can complete it before Christmas :smiling3:

Cheers

Andy

C

CDW

Do you ever stop and take ten minutes to admire your impressive creations ... dont look like it do it :smiling3:

This looks like it'll be fun to watch come together ...I've got me popcorn, slush-puppy and i'm gonna sit second row back so i can put me feet up :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

As Ian says this is right up my street! This is a great model, I'm sure I can dig out a picture or two from old shows, and the twin screw version is even more impressive. I agree that it is a shame to hide a steam plant in an enclosed model however you really can't beat the buzz you get from seeing it go across the pond driven by real steam with the exhaust steam coming out of the funnel.

Being realistic the best option for a steam plant would possibly be two TVR1A engines from Graham Industries in the USA. If you buy the kit version you can get them for around 200.00 pounds each. You then need a boiler and could possibly be lucky and get one off eBay or go for something like a Macsteam bare boiler that you could clad yourself and add the fittings you want. You could be looking at around 3-4 hundred pounds for that. Then all the auxilliary bits such as gas tranks, pipe work, separator, maybe burner control gear and maybe feed systems but without the bells and whistles you could be looking at a good thousand pounds. You might be lucky and find a complete single engine plant for a good price and use a gearbox to drive both props but you really want to make the most of the two props and have them independent.

Here's the engine set up:

View attachment 59359

.............or two electric motors and a big battery!

looking forward to watching the build anyway.

View attachment 61154

P1010315.JPG

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Do you ever stop and take ten minutes to admire your impressive creations ... dont look like it do it :smiling3: This looks like it'll be fun to watch come together ...I've got me popcorn, slush-puppy and i'm gonna sit second row back so i can put me feet up :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:
Make sure you dont kick Ron in the head Colin :smiling3:

S

Sky Raider

Yes Richard, sound advice from an expert. Im now adding up the pounds though mate and it would come to a tidy penny as you have pointed out. I will stick to two electric motors as i did with the Hunter and i have already found a steam sound module to fit in her. There is also room in the funnel for me to fit some sort of smoke unit so i will go down that route i think.

Ill save the 2k or so for the next model and have a plant on display i think, Those engines you have are excellent.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Some reference pictures would be most welcome Richard. Thank you.

Andy

B

Bunkerbarge

Andy there is a new smoke generating unit out, which is very good. I'll dig out the details later but it is reasonably priced and works very well. I fitted one in a Envoy Class tug and it does the job perfectly. You need to allow the space for it though and include it in your stability experiments.

I'll have a look through my pictures later on.

P

Polux

I will follow you Andy!

Personally I love your fantastics builds, and this one is another on the way!

Good luck mate! I will be watching you ;)

Polux

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Which ever way you go you have my attention Andy. With the cost involved I can understand the choice of electric.

If I can slip a quick question to Richard. Can you run those steam engines on compressed air from a tank and have them able to still push a boat through the water, or would the tank have to be way to big?

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Andy there is a new smoke generating unit out, which is very good. I'll dig out the details later but it is reasonably priced and works very well. I fitted one in a Envoy Class tug and it does the job perfectly. You need to allow the space for it though and include it in your stability experiments.I'll have a look through my pictures later on.
Thank you Richard that will be very helpful and i would definatly be looking to purchaes one.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Which ever way you go you have my attention Andy. With the cost involved I can understand the choice of electric.If I can slip a quick question to Richard. Can you run those steam engines on compressed air from a tank and have them able to still push a boat through the water, or would the tank have to be way to big?

Ian M
Thank you Ian its good to have you and the guys along with me. Im waiting to hear what Richard has to say regarding your question.

Cheers

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.