Caledonia's F-100F Super Sabre - 1/72 Trumpeter

C

Caledonia

Sorry Ian, a bit of a late comer here. Have been having withdrawal symptoms from my aircraft modelling since doing my Trawler. Came across this bargain today in Modelzone, reduced from £18.99 to £9.99. Have been keen to do a Super Sabre since 'Fenlander' posted this picture in one of my builds some time ago. The painting might be a bit tricky at 1/72 but I will give it a go.

Here are the Box and Sprue shots; the box says there are 167 pieces (in 6 sprues + 2 clear plastic sprues). Will post a few shots as I go along.

Cheers Derek

View attachment 43353

View attachment 43354

View attachment 43355

View attachment 43356

Super Sabre.jpg

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

B3.jpg

J

James Q

A lovely looking jet, cant wait to watch the progress of this.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Derek!

Glad to see you joining in. You don't have to apologise for being a late starter. I have not even thought about what to build for this yet!?!!?!!

It looks like a good little kit of a great aircraft. I look forwards to following the build.

Ian M

A

andygh

Oops, missed the start of this one. A lovely looking aircraft

D

dubster72

I'll watch your progress with this one Derek, I'm sure you'll do your usual top job on it!

Patrick

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your comments chaps, finally broke away from my Trawler for a while to do this little baby.

This will be an OOB build, started as usual with the cockpit; decals for the instruments are provided. Some very nice molding from 'Trumpeter' for a 1/72 model (see ejector seat for example); very little flash and the mold lines are very subtle as well. Looking further into the build, one criticism I would have is the lack of colour instructions in a lot of the small components.

View attachment 42520View attachment 42521View attachment 42522View attachment 42523View attachment 42524View attachment 42525

As with the EE Lightning, the Tub sits on top of the engine intake duct. 'Trumpeter' has done a nice molding of the ribbing on the duct; unfortunately this will be completely hidden when the fuselage halves are closed up.

Cheers Derek

p.s. the instrument decals need a lot of trimming to fit.

View attachment 45850

View attachment 45851

View attachment 45852

View attachment 45853

View attachment 45854

View attachment 45855

B4.jpg

B5.jpg

B6.jpg

B7.jpg

B8.jpg

B9.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That looks a very nice kit Derek.

Loads of detail in a 1/72, I look forward to seeing the rest of the build.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Not made a lot of progress this week, the weather has been too good, if you live in Aberdeen and the sun comes out so do you, its as rare as hens teeth up here.

Back to business. The wings are very thin, and you get a lot of components, see first photo below. Looking at all the photos I found, the flaps seem to be in the neutral position when the aircraft is parked, so not much point in having them adjustable unless they had provided pilot figures in which case you could have shown the aircraft in the landing configuration. In the same vain, two sets of airbrakes are provided ?? no explanation, and they can be configured open and closed, I have chosen closed as per the photos I have seen of parked aircraft. Another strange thing is the main wheel struts are thicker than the entire wing, an obvious scale issue here.

View attachment 43042View attachment 43043

The cockpit tub was a good fit everything clicked into place - literally. The faselage joints were good as well, only problem is there are a lot of recess panel lines crossing the seams so a lot of minor filling/rescribing. Still working on them.

View attachment 43044View attachment 43045

Cheers Derek

View attachment 46307

View attachment 46308

View attachment 46309

View attachment 46310

B10.jpg

B13.jpg

B11.jpg

B12.jpg

C

Caledonia

Almost ready for painting; its amazing what a photo throughs up on the computer screen obviously some more cleaning up still to do. One tip I use is to fit some thin wire through the Fuel Tank mounting holes which allows easier handling of the piece during spraying.

There has been some discussion re-canopy glue lately, I have always used Klear applied with an 00 brush and used the capillary action to draw the Klear along the seams. It has a good hold in an hour, and an extremely strong hold after 24 hours. I also apply a thin coat over the canopy masking tape and seams to prevent the paint leaching under the tape.

View attachment 43363View attachment 43364

For a 1/72 model, the undercarriage area is very detailed.

View attachment 43365

Another tip I use which I read in the 'Fine Scale Modeler' magazine's readers tips was to stretch a piece of sowing thread between your thumb and fore finger and use this as a frett saw if you need to cut a very thin line. Apply very little pressure, let the heat melt the plastic. I used this technique a few times on solid plastic, and in the current model where I wanted to open the gap on the inner flap of the F-100F between the fuselage and adjacent flap.

View attachment 43366View attachment 43367View attachment 43368

Will post some more photos when the painting is finished.

Cheers Derek

View attachment 46622

View attachment 46623

View attachment 46624

View attachment 46625

View attachment 46626

View attachment 46627

B14.jpg

B15.jpg

B16.jpg

B17.jpg

B18.jpg

B19.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good Derek. I like the tip with the cotton thread. If any one is interested you can use the same trick if you need to cut a plastic drain pipe thats tight in a corner. Maybe not with cotton, but works with string. (nature not nylon). Sorry Derek.

I will look forward to the paint!

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
This is looking fantastic derek! It looks like a real nice kit, great details without the need for buying extra P.E or resin sets.Thanks for the sewing thread tip , brilliant! i'll be using that one . Really looking forward to seeing this progress, ive been looking for a nice 'Hun' myself for a while , very neat ,fast looking bird. cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your comments lads, have finished the basic painting as you can see below. I used the following paints.

Primer all over: - Tamiya Aerosol Fine Surface Primer (Light Gray)

Underside Lifecolor: - Light Compass Ghost Gray UA 025

Topsides Lifecolor: - U.S. Brown UA 085

Topsides Lifecolor: - Green UA 303

Topsides Lifecolor: - Black Green UA 051

Exhaust Base Color: - Citadel Mithril Silver

Wheel Bays: - Vallejo Model Air Interior Green 71010

Microscale: - Micro Gloss for Decal Surface Prep

View attachment 43434View attachment 43435View attachment 43436View attachment 43437

Now going to decal and weather, then do the hardest part of the model - painting the exhaust.

Cheers Derek

View attachment 46691

View attachment 46692

View attachment 46693

View attachment 46694

B20.jpg

B21.jpg

B22.jpg

B23.jpg

C

Caledonia

Thanks Ole appreciate it mate. Well here is the last of the postings for this build, I will post a few more photos under the 'Aircraft Pictures' section shortly. As you can see for the exhaust I cut fine strips off some 5mm wide Tamiya Tape to achieve the banding effect, and then applied a few dots of artists oils 'raw umber' and rubbed it in with a finger tip, I repeated the process until I achieved the depth of colour. I did the same with the 'ultramarine' and used a fine point paint brush for the lines. The model was then given a coat of Humbrol Matt 64 acrylic varnish aerosol.

View attachment 43667View attachment 43668View attachment 43669

Hope you enjoyed the build and thanks for your comments. Cheers Derek

View attachment 46910

View attachment 46911

View attachment 46912

B24.jpg

B25.jpg

B26.jpg

M

mobear

the got the heat spots just right in my opinion,first class

mobear