Can you have too many model kits in your stash

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I have decided that I will not build any more in my stash ( get so tempted when I open the box ) I will try my best to finish the projects I have on the go and the GB builds
Oh bugger just got an email that my bronco tanks eventually coming ( back order ) that'll please the Mrs
Hagahaha
My aim is still to get all the British AFV 39-45 completed for xmas ( which xmas is another question

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I have about 30 but I themed mine to specific events in history so for instance an X15 Rocket plane and it's launch platform B52 the only problem Both 1/32 that makes the B52 have nearly a 5ft wingspan where the hell am I going put that similarly a Bell X1 and B29 again 1/32 and just for good measure a 1/32 Vulcan BMk 2 and 1/32 Lancaster thats why they are still in my stash to be built along with numerous frame and plank ships & the usual mish mash of kits you seem to collect during the year

Regards

Colin

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have about 30 but I themed mine to specific events in history so for instance an X15 Rocket plane and it's launch platform B52 the only problem Both 1/32 that makes the B52 have nearly a 5ft wingspan where the hell am I going put that similarly a Bell X1 and B29 again 1/32 and just for good measure a 1/32 Vulcan BMk 2 and 1/32 Lancaster thats why they are still in my stash to be built along with numerous frame and plank ships & the usual mish mash of kits you seem to collect during the year

Regards

Colin
You could try a wall fixing though with that lot you will need big walls!!!
HKM provide such a fixing with their 1/32 B17 and apparently will provide one with their Lancaster as well.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
In answer to the original question; I'd say it depends on how much space you have to keep them. Or, more accurately, how much space you can get away with o_O

I'd say I've got around 300 kits, Including figures - and I only build in 1/35 or bigger! Most have of these have gone into the loft ready for the house move so the stash seems fairly under control now.
Some time ago I started a spreadsheet grouping kits and accessories together in themes. I can say that every kit in my collection has a plan for it and I have every intention of building as many as I can.

I long since came to the conclusion that if I bought a kit, and the accuracy/detail was good enough at the time (with maybe the odd AM pieces thrown in) then it's good enough to build now. I don't have any really ancient kits though, but I do believe there's still a good tune to be eeked out of an old fiddle (I'd love to have the classic Airfix 1/24 Stuka in the stash). Another example... I still have about eight 1/32 Hasegawa 190s and they are great kits, despite the news that SWS are to do a super detail series of the Focke Wulf butcher bird.

It's not how many kits for me it's the how much time you have to do 'em!

BTW the HK Lanc is another MUST!!!!!

Have fun

Paul

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've only got 6 in the stash. Plus another 8 in the other stash. And a few in the wardrobe.

Pete

First Name
rob
I hand over the years collected various kits and yes dome k have attempted and never completed but thinking can d get an overlaiden with kits
There are so many new kits coming out and older kits being refreshed can we just have too many
My wife when she accompanying me to model shops tells the owner I could go into competition with them
I doubt it
I'm in AFv mode at the moment and there's such variety out there I want them all
Build them all is another question
But I do enjoy modelling and it does give me relaxation
I think it's just about collecting as it is building.its all part of the hobby

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
I would now classify myself a collector of kits rather than a modeller.As I have very limited free time.Working a full time job looking after my family parents and inlaws gives me little if any bench time. I'm currently trying to keep 3 houses in good repair. Two of which I am refurbishing for sale so we can relocate to a different location in the U.K. Which hopefully will give us a better work life balance and then just maybe I can pop a few lids. In the meantime my "fix" will be just another kit. There's always that next compulsive purchase and I can think of several easily. Gonna need a bigger loft soon though;) I don't have a maximum limit on how much I'll pay for a kit or how little as long I get it in a sale or feel like I've had some kind of deal I'm more than happy. I've waited six months or more for a kit to become a more reasonable purchase. I'm never at the front of the queue for the latest release of anything. I'll never build em all but as I lay my weary head somedays upon my pillow and look towards the ceiling I allow myself a broad grin and a chuckle of how I've been so clever and managed to smuggle them past the Mrs and build such a nice pile. When I finally do move it going to be very interesting getting my stash to the new property. But I have a cunning plan;) he says lol.
1 or 2 or a 1000 kits whatever makes you happy I suppose as we're all different.
Cheers John

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I have 12 kits in the stash from primarily Eduard, Trumpeter and Tamiya with a FLY 1/32 Ar 234 plus a mound of eduard PE, BIG ED, Brassin and Aires aftermarket. As I primarily build in 1/32 and 1/48 WW2 Aircraft, space restricts the stash. I never really do impulse buys, but my stash is carefully picked. I just prefer to do super-detailed builds instead of having a lot of kits that don't have highly detailed cockpits, engines, U/Cs and gunbays. As a result, the money spent for other kits is used on aftermarket and better tools eg. Airbrush
That's how I approach the stash thing
Cheers :smiling3:

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Btw, why aren't people posting pics of their stash? (I can't right now but I will)
Cheers:D

First Name
Adrian
I think as long as your happy with what you own that's all that counts. I have around 70 kits but I do build a fair few each year so they're always been restocked. I thought I had a lot till I saw Johns pictures but he pales in comparison with a club member I know. He has a 3 tiered house and each room is full of kits and I can easily believe him when he says he has over 5,000!!!

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Oh dear....
after writing that above I made the mistake of looking at reviews and found one for the ZM 1/32 FW Ta 152H-0. I had a look around and could only find a few on E-Bay. Well I just had to....
I will need to be sneaky getting into the garage and find a 'discreet' place for it until I start the nextr build...
I'm thinking of getting the ZM 1/32 He 219.....o_O

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Two in the stash and theoretically one in progress....That's it.
I don't intend to leave a stash of models behind! Books on the other hand...........
Cheers
Steve
Two, careful now. I'm sure this question was asked a few years ago, and you and I were the only ones with a stash of zero. Although I now have four, sitting, taunting me.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Two, careful now. I'm sure this question was asked a few years ago, and you and I were the only ones with a stash of zero. Although I now have four, sitting, taunting me.

Yep. They are really stacking up now ;)

I've had very little time to build anything recently. I ordered paint masks for one of the two in the stash ten months ago, so the intent was there!

Cheers

Steve