Centurion ARV Mk.2

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Ian, Bob, Graeme, Scottie, John, Pete, Brad, Si, Robert and Evan Many thanks to you all for your comments, very welcome indeed.
Allen, Guilty, they are decals from somewhere that have been looking for a home. I am not responsible for the wheel, that came in the bag of spares, which upon reflection seems now to have been a bag of 'spares' except for the etch set, but beggars cannot be choosers.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update...
Most of the heavy construction work is now complete, the drivers area is in and looking great - that would be if you could see it.......!!!!! The winch housing is all but complete, fire extinguishers etc still to add. The doors and hatches are on a seperate bit of scrap ready for painting. I have a couple of photo's of work as of today. Next it is the winch gear itself but in a rudimentary form, as again a lot will not be seen. The base has been primed, sanded and primed again ready for paint and then the texture added.
Cheers, MikeC.hull1.jpghull2.jpghull3.jpg

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mike,

This is a cracking build. I love the jig to hold the build secure.
Scottie

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
WOW! Scratchery at it's very finest. Terrific update Mike. Thanks for sharing

Steve

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
The others have said it all. Superb example of detailing. It is a pleasure to look at.
Jim

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Scottie, Steve and Jim,
Many thanks for dropping by, and the comments, very welcome.
Updates will be a bit slow from today, the interior of the winch house is in progress, but will post some pics in a few days.
Cheers, Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mike.
Buddy this is one superb build, great scratchery. Agree with the guys.
John .

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is just getting better and better. as an OOB builder mostly I'm loving seeing this coming together.

D

Deleted member 5819

HI Mike great scratchery skills on view and I to agree with the rest of guys comments.:thumb2:
Pete.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
John R, Ian and Pete, Once again thank you all. :thumb2:
Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update,
So the object is how to get ALL this, into that without any damage....

.win2.jpgwin1.jpg

That is the only info I could scrounge of the interweb, and armed with a few sketches it was time to get the finger out and start building.
Item one on the list was a tube, drum otr any other item that could be used for the winch drum - the search began. Banned from the kitchen - nothing in my collection of odd bits - so it was off into the darkest recesses of the shed. When you had your new washing machine delivered, and you or the delivery/fitter guy removed those fixing bolts from the drum, did you keep the plastic items - I did.....

win3.jpg

And we are off..... I needed to scribe in the lines that would be cut into the 'tube' for the cable to lay in. I started with a steel rule and a scriber, rotating the 'tube' until the line was scribed (1mm) I then stacked another steel rule on top of the first, clamped it in place, scribed again, repeat, repeat, you are getting the idea, plus for some reason I have a lot of 6inch steel rules. Once the scribing was finished the lines were further enhanced with a razor saw and a wedge shaped file. Once happy it was cut to size (estimated) and then coated with liquid cement which softened the sharp edges.
All of the fitting is by guestimation as there appears to be no scale drawings available, and this is where i am at the moment.

win5.jpgwin6.jpgwin7.jpg

As you can see from the photos at the top of the post there is a lot more yet to go in and around the two drums which are in fact one, but for this model I have left out the centre which will not be seen.
On the brass plate (bottom pic) there will be fitted a three way valve and then the 'boxes' will all start to appear and be fitted. The photo shows the valve, minus spring for the handle, this will be added once the handle is totally dry. The excess plasic will be cut up to the right moning bracket, and on it's right is the start of a three way pipe connection.

win8.jpg

And of course I had to cut away the top of the hull to add whatever fits down there, battery boxes etc.

win4.jpg

And that is it for today. Thanks for looking, and can you wake those up that have nodded off....
Cheers, Mike.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Can't sleep through this one Mike, some amazing scratchery going on.
Mick

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike,
Great work so far, dumb question when are you going to use the Accurate Armour bits that started this build off ?
Jim

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Mick,
Yep it's keeping me awake as well :flushed:.
Jim,
I have used some of the parts, but what I thought was a bag of parts for one kit has in fact turned out to be bits and pieces from a whole range except for the etch which was from the ARV kit and that is what first got the juices flowing, still it's getting there. I have now given myself 4 weeks to get the whole model finished, base as well. I have 7 other models I want to get working on that are in the bottom of the display cabinet and keep banging on the glass. Thankyou for your comments
Cheers,
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
This Mike is modelling excellence. The winch gear is superb .Well done .:thumb2:.
John.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Cheers John, we aim to please etc etc.
Mike.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Mike

You have your hands full with this part of the build. You are certainly going well with some wonderfully accurate and detailed scratchery. Keep up the great work.

Steve

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Steve,
Many thanks.
Mike

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Short update,
I have started on the 'plumbing' , the three way valve is in place and connected and just made up the 1mm channel for the first 'box'. Used to hate making boxes, now cannot wait to get to them. Lots of parts made up and drying ie support frame, so once in place more photo's. Now off for a lay down in the dark padded room. Cheers All,
Mike.win9.jpg

B

Brad9826

Great stuff Mike, love the details you're managing to get in.:thumb2: