Challenger challenge and in box review

N

noble

The kit i will be building for this SIG build is the 1/35 Tamiya Challenger 2 desertised version, i have also done an in box review.

THE TANK

Vickers who manufacture the challenger tank had continued to develop the challenger 2 and in August 1990 9 protoypes were built. Althoughboth tanks look very similar in appearence internally the challenger 2 is an entierly new tank, it's features far surpass that of the challenger 1 with improved second generation Chobham armourwhich is capable of withstanding armour pierceing and shape charge rounds.

The fire control system has been updated with the latest digital technology, including a panoramic commanders sight with built in laser range finder and a thermal gunners sight. The 120mm L30 rifled main gun provides improved muzzzle velocity and accuracy, hich enables the vehicle to fire armoured piercing rounds, HESH, smokeand depleted uranium rounds, in mid 2005 this gun was upgraded to the Reinmetall 120mm smooth bore L55. Secial modifications were made to tanks serving in a dessert enviornment by adding reactive front armour composite armour on the sides a special cover to reduce exhaust heat, canvas skirts to reduce dust digestion. A coaxially mounted 7.62 boeing company chain gun and an externally mounted GPMG L37A machine gun.

THE KIT

The kit iam reviewing is Tamiys 1/35 Challenger 2 desertised kit no 274. In the box we get five sprues of dark yellow plastic, seperate top and bottom hulls, clear styrene parts, flexible vinyl tracks, decals, a white length of twine, nuts and bolts, polycaps, a length of copper wire and two sheets of flat styrene sheet 1 clear and 1 white. The 16 page instruction booklet is layed out in 29 easy to follow clearly printed illustrations, these pages show three diagrams for three seperate tanks. All the parts are free from flash and little or no clean up is needed, all detail is nice and crisp with ejector pin marks kept to a minimum and hidden.

The road wheels, return rollers, idler wheels and sprockets have all been re-worked to produce nice crisp clean detail which is better than the original kit, glueable flexible vinyl tracks are nicely detailed and accurate with no need to replace them with aftermarket parts. The rear hull panel is completely new and crisply moulded showing lots of detail both on the moulded and the add on parts. The fuel drums and their supportsare well detailed as are the jerry can racks, wire reel and troop telephone bits. Tail lights are very nicelydone using clear lenses and a finely moulded guard cage.

The side skirts and the Chobham armour blocks have all the bolt and weld mark detail and detail is accurately portrayed with very realistic sculpted canvas skirts. The main turret is made up of five parts with the side and rear walls moulded seperately for good detail, you get clear parts for some of the periscopes and lenses but the commanderspersicopesneed to be cut from thr clear flat styrene sheet using the template on the instructions. The hatches arenicely detailed both on thie interior and exterior, the GPMG machine gun is beautifully detailed and its mount is designed so that the gun remains moveable in elevation after assembly. The main gun is attached to the turret using polycaps and the main barrel is made from four parts with a seperate muzzle, two long barrel halves and a small round insert for the fume extractor with beuatifully moulded on detail.

All in all this is a beautifully moulded kit which when built is bigger than your average 1/35 piece. I would highly recomend this kit and being that it is from Tamiya you end up with an impressively detailed kit due to the quality and fit of all the parts. As stated it is a big kit when built larger than the king tiger in length, so if you havent got this one already it is definately one to keep in your stash at home you wont be disapointed.

Scott :emo6:

View attachment 33520

View attachment 33521

View attachment 33522

View attachment 33523

View attachment 33524

View attachment 33525

View attachment 33526

View attachment 33527

View attachment 33528

View attachment 33529

View attachment 33530

View attachment 33531

View attachment 33532

View attachment 33533

View attachment 33534

View attachment 33535

View attachment 33536

View attachment 33537

View attachment 33538

View attachment 33539

View attachment 33540

View attachment 33541

View attachment 33542

View attachment 33543

View attachment 33544

View attachment 33545

View attachment 33546

challenger 2 h.jpg

Review 12.jpg

challenger 2 b.jpg

Review 6.jpg

challenger 2 l.jpg

Review 1.jpg

Review 10.jpg

challenger 2 i.jpg

Review 2.jpg

challenger 2 g.jpg

Review 13.jpg

Review 8.jpg

Review 5.jpg

Review 3.jpg

Review 11.jpg

challenger 2 m.jpg

challenger 2 c.jpg

Review 4.jpg

Review 7.jpg

Review 14.jpg

challenger 2 j.jpg

challenger 2 a.jpg

challenger 2 d.jpg

challenger 2 f.jpg

Review 9.jpg

challenger 2 k.jpg

challenger 2 e.jpg

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good In box review Scott. Looks like a good one.

Ian M

P

phalinmegob

bloody hell, you dont hang around do ya!

probably another week before i am even going to open the boxes. looking good so far as does all your work.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So what are you going to do for the other five and a half months Scott?

Looking good though.

Ian M

B

Boldman

Bloody hell, I've just about got the road wheels sorted on mine, then again I've been chopping the "rubber" away to make them look worn and used, so at one point it was taking about an hour per wheel disk... my thumbs have no fingerprints now and the left one has a circular indentation/bruise from the hubs!

N

noble

\ said:
Bloody hell, I've just about got the road wheels sorted on mine, then again I've been chopping the "rubber" away to make them look worn and used, so at one point it was taking about an hour per wheel disk... my thumbs have no fingerprints now and the left one has a circular indentation/bruise from the hubs!
I have to admit i've still got a fair bit to paint and weather as well as the base to look for to build a small dio. The weathering is what iam stuck with at the moment...... iam not sure how to weather modern armour? any suggestions? iam fine with WWII stuff so this is a first for me, any help appreciated.

scott

N

noble

\ said:
So what are you going to do for the other five and a half months Scott?Looking good though.

Ian M
I have the king tiger for the other five LOL.

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Me neither Andy!

Looks great Scott. You sure got it built quickly.

Ian M

P

phalinmegob

think i will just put mine back in the box. do you actaully do any work at that train station of yours or is it a secret modelling shed

N

noble

\ said:
think i will just put mine back in the box. do you actaully do any work at that train station of yours or is it a secret modelling shed
Iam gob smacked you'd even suggest such a thing LOLOL but we do have our quiet days on late shift you never really see a soul and on earlies iam finished by 11:30 am so i do have a bit of free time, trying to cram a little before the baby arrives at christmas.

scott