Chevy impala

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I'll be watching this one ( love the impala)

I'm not a car builder but always fancied doing one ( but the rattle can spray always put me off

It'll be good to see what you do with this

Kind regards

Robert

S

stuart.c.82

I'm even thinking as there's a bodyshop/spray garage opposite my work is it cheating to get them to blow the top coat for me... Will try myself first and if I can't get it good I'll have a cheeky chat.

S

stuart.c.82

Still have to fill the old scribed door lines before priming & painting the body work but I stippled the engine red & have added the satin black parts, satin blacked the under side of the chassis & today will get some of the silver/steel painted. having to make the read door handles as obviously the kit only comes with 2 so some clever knife work on the silver sprue required I think!

S

stuart.c.82

Ok so made my first real "error" probably too much glue but it just wouldn't set. Only solution was leave parts seperate to dry and sand back/touch up. Will try to upload some photos but still not braved the filling of the old door seams yet.. is Vallejo white the nicest one to sand back?

S

stuart.c.82

Watched a YouTube video and like the look of the "perfect plastic putty" but it seems a bit like it's a novice filler (i know I am a novice but....) Is it something u guys have heard of/used?

D

Deleted member 4539

I use perfect plastic putty.

I only use it for small areas and fine gaps.It is a very thin putty and dries quite well but I find it does not like to be wet sanded.so I only sand it dry.

I also use Squadron green/white stuff and find this is definitely the better of the two.

Hope this helps.

Ralph.

S

stuart.c.82

Does the squadren stuff sand back nicely? I'm gonna be doing car body work so will be VERY fussy about the pre painting prep. almost wondering to use propper car body filler. lol

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
Does the squadren stuff sand back nicely? I'm gonna be doing car body work so will be VERY fussy about the pre painting prep. almost wondering to use propper car body filler. lol
Yes the squadron stuff sands back beuatufully I tend to start with 400 grit wet or dry then go as fine as 1200 grit to get a smooth finish.

You can also use nail varnish remover to wipe off the excess as soon as you have filled the area

S

stuart.c.82

I want to make the dash/rear parcel shelf like a cream/beige leather effect, any ideas how?

Also how do I get a soft looking floor (again similar colour) do you ever use flocking or should I look at doll house carpet?

P

Plastickitbasher

I've used flocking before, I paint the floor area with some Humbrol black enamel paint.Then with the flocking in a tea strainer gently tap the side of the tea strainer over the painted area, it works for me as the Humbrol paint dries slowly giving you more time to cover the area. I also use Squadron green filler but I mix in some Cellulose thinner makes it a little easier to use.

As an idea for the rear parcel shelf try some of this.

Beige cloth

Leather Ocher Brown

I hope the above will be of some help

Regards

David

S

stuart.c.82

Thanks David that stuff looks ideal.. I had thoughts of trying to thin some real leather but this will save me a ton of effort!

J

John Huggins

Hi Staurt looking good, nice start by the way.

As for using car body filler on you'r build i tend only to use it if i have a large area to cover or extend wheel arches as with my E-Type Jag, the only drawback with this is it takes a lot of time to get it smooth & all that sanding can remove more plastic then you want.

P1080276.JPG

Hope you don't mind the photo, both front bonnet & rear arches are body filler.

John.

S

stuart.c.82

Lovely picture!! Gonna brave the filler at the weekend then hopefully it's just assembly and body paint.... Really want to try something requiring a new skill on the inside so a bit of flocking might even make an appearance! :eek:

S

stuart.c.82

Yep that's the kinda look I want but in a cream/sawdusty colour... Do you buy the powder or is there something better? The stuff he's got looks good but there's no name on the pot.