Choosing a air compressor

A

askara

hi everyone. i want to buy a air compressor to paint my gundam models(basically plastic robot model). but i dont know what to buy and have a limited resource-around £50 +/- £10 i guess. i dont really care about noise or quality as long as it does a decent job.

i am looking at Airbrush Compressor Mini | eBay how is it? any suggestion?

or http://www.amazon.co.uk/Airbrush-Mini-Compressor-compact-Optimally-suitable/dp/B0036DFSPU

Last edited:
First Name
Drew
That looks similar to the one I use.

I'm just starting out in airbrushing so for my uses it does the job. I don't know how much variation there is between compressors, I think it's more to do with the airbrush itself.

However, I would wait until you hear from one or two of the guys that have been using them longer than I have, like I said, I'm only starting out so haven't got anything to compare it to.

A

askara

\ said:
That looks similar to the one I use.I'm just starting out in airbrushing so for my uses it does the job. I don't know how much variation there is between compressors, I think it's more to do with the airbrush itself.

However, I would wait until you hear from one or two of the guys that have been using them longer than I have, like I said, I'm only starting out so haven't got anything to compare it to.
how much is your one? link? also does it have a tank ? thx

i am pretty happy as long as it do the job not like i am pro

D

delmonteman

I've got one very similar to the eBay one. Think I paid about £60 but it came with a cheap airbrush too. Still works perfectly.

B

batfink21

I think so long as you're not using it for long periods at a time and you keep it in a well ventilated place it should be okay.

Ive heard a few people say these cheap eBay compressors overheat and the motors burn out if they're used for long periods at a time.

T

tecdes

My Pixie worked for about 4 months the air regulator then started leaking. Still works OK but air is leaking & so the motor runds continually despite having a tank.

Then bought another £50 model & this has now worn out. On this one the motor still works but as it is obviously "not well" it overheats & causes water to form causing chaos when used.

So will now dig deep to buy a decent one.

So sad.

Laurie

A

askara

so which one should i go for? any suggestion?

i am thinking of this Airbrush Mini-Compressor model AS18-2: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools same as the ebay one but on amazon for better reputation. if i go with this one can someone suggest which airbrush i should go for? cheap one will do as long as it fit. tell me what connector i need too.

for the people who has a similar one. does it have a air tank build in? does it need one?

edit:

i found the same one with air tank and air brush for £75 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Airbrush-Compressor-Double-Action-Airbrushes/dp/B004XP7K9W/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1341697574&sr=1-1-spell should i get it?

hmmm the delivery is £13 the total cost is quite high...

final question i guess show i go for the one with air tank for £88 or without for £65? thx

Last edited:

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
hi i have the as18-2 and it does not come with a an air tank , i find it is very quit and can deal with pressures up to 50/55lbs , it has a moisture trap which is needed, and the connection is 1/8 bsp

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Have a look at scalemodelshop on this very site... Or go to the airbrush company it worth paying for a decent one you will be using it a lot and it saves spending £50 all the time had mine for about 6 years now still works like the first time I got it out of the box it's an itawa..,

T

tecdes

Agree with John although it pains me to admit being wedded to spending the least & not having a tank.

Just looked on the just gone defunct compressor and that is an AS18/2. That lasted about 12 months. Just out of guarantee.

Pixie my first compressor. Lasted a short time but was OK but always suspected it looked good but was cheap in construction. It works in a sort of fashion but the adjustment valve has gone. Not worth mending it will cost as much as a new one.

I have completed 9 models during the history of these compressors so you can see they have not been over worked.

I have always stated that a tank was not necessary. Hanging head now admit I was wrong. I have resorted from the defunct AS18/2 to using the Pixie until I buy a good compressor . The Pixie has a tank but there is a leak somewhere so the motor runs all the time to replenish the tank. But the finish I am getting from the Pixie with the tank is far superior to the AS18/2 despite the Pixie not working as it should. Strange but even when spraying the spray sounds just feels looks & sounds better

So kicking self realise I have spent on 2 compressors the cost of getting a quality compressor.

After saying all the above & before getting kicked there are probably a lot of both compressors working well with finishes people are well happy with. I suppose it is take a chance time problem is I lost !

Laurie

A

andygh

I have an A186 type, I think it came from RDG tools

I've had it for a good couple of years now and it hasn't missed a beat, mind you it's probably only used for a couple of hours each month, so it's not exactly stressed

Like many things, go for the best you can reasonably afford

That said, I've seen some amazing work done with rubbish airbrushes by people who know what they're doing

W

wbk666

I'm thinking of replacing my dearly departed with this.

BA1100 Badger Air COMPRESSOR WITH ANTI PULSATION AIR

Has anyone got one, used one, heard anything about one?

thanks

Wayne

T

tecdes

Wayne the compressor has all the good ingredients tank & regulator for pressure.

Just bought a new one after my disasters with 2. Was going for an expensive one. Then bought one which Steve (Stona) uses & recommended. The is the AS 196 which has a twin motor. Seems with the twin motor it halves the journey & obviously lasts longer. the additional expense is about £10 the 196 i got for £109. Also with the AS 196 you can use other tools, a spray gun, as it produces twice the pressure of the single piston job.

I had the intention of going for a super compressor but then found how much for which I could get 2 196 compressors so changed my mind & got the 196. One thing I did find was that an Iawata type looked really good at about £200. But if you study it closely all it appears to be is an AS type with all the external looks exactly the same. Iawata have just sprayed it black. The tank, regulator, compressor body, handle & the piston head are exactly the same.

Laurie

W

wbk666

i was swayed by the one i fancied being a "proper" make though they are all probably made by the same people then re-badged.

thanks

W

wbk666

\ said:
Wayne the compressor has all the good ingredients tank & regulator for pressure.Just bought a new one after my disasters with 2. Was going for an expensive one. Then bought one which Steve (Stona) uses & recommended. The is the AS 196 which has a twin motor. Seems with the twin motor it halves the journey & obviously lasts longer. the additional expense is about £10 the 196 i got for £109. Also with the AS 196 you can use other tools, a spray gun, as it produces twice the pressure of the single piston job.

I had the intention of going for a super compressor but then found how much for which I could get 2 196 compressors so changed my mind & got the 196. One thing I did find was that an Iawata type looked really good at about £200. But if you study it closely all it appears to be is an AS type with all the external looks exactly the same. Iawata have just sprayed it black. The tank, regulator, compressor body, handle & the piston head are exactly the same.

Laurie
wont that be twin cylinders but run by the one single motor?

I hate shopping for things like this. its a minefield and i normally end up with a foot blown off lol