Completed -Airfix 1/48 Spitfire mk1.

First Name
Dave
Not another Spitfire i hear you all say?.Well,i hadn't built a Spitfire for almost 20 Years.Then i got two for Christmas.The mk9 Was first and now the mk1.

. Not the best kit on the market.But my daughter gave it to me so here it is.I decided to do the early mk1 version.This one belonged to no.19 sqdn at RAF Duxford.The first squadron to operate the spitfire.The no.19 was painted on the fin for one day only,October 31st 1938.This was so an official photographer in a Blenheim could take aerial photo's.The kit went together ok.Had to be careful with the wing to fuselage join as its not a very good fit.I added a scratch built ring sight in the cockpit as the kit doesn't come with one.And I added some 'Lion Roar' seat belts bought from John.I painted it with Xtracolour enamels,because I already had the colours.Made it slightly dirty with Florymodels dark dirt wash.Not too dirty though,as its a pre war aircraft and would have been kept clean.As usual,I managed to knock the pitot off.So that's got to be refitted.And I've just noticed I haven't painted in the light under the fuselage,so will have to do that.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A very nice clean build Dave the camo has come out really well.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
great job dave , not very often we see the first version of the mk1 with the 2 blade prop and straight canopy . It looks a very nice kit , did it build well? tony

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You have done a great job on that one Dave like Tony say's you don't see this type very often

First Name
Dave
\ said:
great job dave , not very often we see the first version of the mk1 with the 2 blade prop and straight canopy . It looks a very nice kit , did it build well? tony
Quite an easy build. The wing to fuselage joint wasn't brilliant .It needed a plastic card shim under the front of the wing.Otherwise there would have been a step up from the fuselage to the wing.I should have scribed the control surfaces a bit more as well,as they don't show up very well in the photo's.Not bad for an old kit though.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice. These are the colours I like to see Spitfires in.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Old kit you say? I thought it must have been a new release judging by the box and your build , top work mate , cheers tony

B

Bunkerbarge

I think you've done a spot on job with the weathering, as you say this particular one, being cleaned up for the picture, would be looking it's best. It's interesting to see how the large twin bladed prop and the straight canopy makes it look dated.

Great model and great pictures.

First Name
Michael
Very nice Dave, you know I've never built a Spitfire, maybe I should. M

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Very nice Dave, you know I've never built a Spitfire, maybe I should. M
If you want an early mark the Tamiya kits the one to go for.I built one when it first came out.And I remember it as a very nice kit.Much better than this one.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Super work Dave. I did the Hasegawa 1/72 Spitfire with the two blade prop and flat canopy a while back. Your Airfix rendition with the yellow bordered roundels makes it more colourful and clean looking. Super work.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Dave. You have made a good job of it. One thing though, that antenna post. It looks a bit thick ad flat, wasn't it round on the MkI ?

I think I still have a vacant spot where there should be an early MkI on my shelf.

Five stars on there way.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Nice one Dave. You have made a good job of it. One thing though, that antenna post. It looks a bit thick ad flat, wasn't it round on the MkI ? I think I still have a vacant spot where there should be an early MkI on my shelf.

Five stars on there way.

Ian M
Thanks Ian.The aerial is the right shape if you compare it to the photo of the real aircraft.Its maybe a bit thick.Thats Airfix's moulding though.I could have replaced it but think its ok myself.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Can't agree there Dave, to me the Aerial in the photo looks round. The Aerial post on an early mark one's (the first batch of 310; K9787 to L1096 ) was round, the wire coming up through it. This was later replaced with the tapered profiled mast with the prong at the rear.

The wire coming out through the fuselage, attaching to this prong, then back to a small post on the top of the tail.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Can't agree there Dave, to me the Aerial in the photo looks round. The Aerial post on an early mark one's (the first batch of 310; K9787 to L1096 ) was round, the wire coming up through it. This was later replaced with the tapered profiled mast with the prong at the rear.The wire coming out through the fuselage, attaching to this prong, then back to a small post on the top of the tail.

Ian M
Don't wish to get into a rivet counter argument so will take your word for it.My daughter would probably say 'Whatever!'.Its just a model and is good enough for me.Whilst we are rivet counting,any idea what that contraption is mounted on the fin leading edge in the photo of the real aircraft?.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
No argument here, As I said its still a great build and one I would be pleased with.

As for that contraption on the tail fin, its to prevent an anti spin parachute getting tangled on the tail.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
You obviously know your spitfires Ian.One other thing I wasn't sure of was the yellow tips on the prop.Some photos don't have these,But the Airfix instructions do,although we all know kit instructions can't be relied upon to be accurate.I know the red patches over the gun ports were introduced at the start of the war.So I left those off.For complete Acuracy the outer guns should protrude from the wing leading edge and have flash hiders fitted.Im not out to win any competitions.I just like building models,even though I know they are not always totally accurate.

P

Polux

Very nice and clean Spitfire Dave.

Looks very fine to me, congrats mate.

Cheers. Polux

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I am by no means or way a rivet counter Dave and t'was not my intention to appear so.

Far from an expert as well. I just like Spitfires and have a few references I can refer to when I get stumped. The aerial thing just stuck in my head. I recall my one I junked the kit part and used a bit of brass rod.

Enough about that. There are way to many rivet counters and experts on the www and I have no intention on becoming one. Like you I'm just a bloke that likes building things.

Ian M

First Name
Andy
Sorry, I can't see any rivets to count, but, I do really like this, and to be honest it's the first time I have seen the 2 prop version...

Top marks from me Sir, 5*****...