Colin M 1:72 Fujimi Phanton F-4K

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well, this kit launched itself at me today, at the Telford show. It's a kit I've wanted for quite sometime, so I'm in.

F-4k Phantom.png

Despite its age, 1987 I think, it's a nice little kit so I think it will be straight oob.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Right then, kick off. The box. 1:72 RN Phantom.
IMG_0707.JPG

Some of the box contents. Not bad detail for a 1987 Kit.

IMG_0709.JPG
IMG_0712.JPG
IMG_0713.JPG
IMG_0714.JPG

Like most builds, we start with the cockpit. And this, is just about all the components for the 'pit. 1:72, don't you just love it.
IMG_0716.JPG

Which builds into this. The kit provides some decals for the office. I wasn't going to use them, but thought, well why not, the cockpit will be closed so not much will be seen.
IMG_0720.JPG

I used the kit seats and thought I'd try something different with the seats. The yellow and black ejection seat 'handles' can be awkward to paint in 1:72, so I tried using thread instead.
IMG_0723.JPG

My thread was too big and probably my scale too small. Hence it didn't really work, maybe 1:48 would be better.
IMG_0727.JPG
They don't look that bad in real life, honest..........
IMG_0728.JPG

Moving on, the fuse was connected up and placed on the wings. Look at that gap............
IMG_0729.JPG

The cure.
IMG_0731.JPG

The result.
IMG_0732.JPG

And that's where I am after two days on and off work. 1:72, a lovely scale.................................

Attachments

• IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0709.JPG
    IMG_0709.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0720.JPG
    IMG_0720.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 1

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice start Colin I think the thread looks effective .
Such a well bought up young man - I wish I could agree with your comment. However, I do think a better (read thinner) thread might work, so I don't think the idea is dead just yet. I'll try it again, in 1:48.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A touch more done. Starting with canopy making. Not my favourite pastime, but at least in 1:72, there isn't much to do. Oddly though, no raised detail, all lines were recessed on the canopy. Fujimi give the option of open or closed canopy, mine will be closed, clean lines.

IMG_0733.JPG

Then the kit supplied exhausts were given a few layers of Alclad. The pictures don't show it too well, but they are quite well detailed.
IMG_0734.JPG

Further Alclad was applied to the metal area under the tail. I've tried to replicate the burnt metal here, not too successful in this small scale.
IMG_0736.JPG

Then the top coat was applied. Humbrol Extra dark sea gray. The white underside has already been done, but I forgot to photo this. It's white, that's all really.
IMG_0738.JPG

After the top coat was finished, a bit of post shading was applied. Well diluted paint and a low pressure was needed here, remembering those panel lines are really small in this scale.
IMG_0739.JPG

And what is really nice is, it all fits in my spray booth, unlike a certain 1:32 He 111 monster, which could maybe just about fit a wing in !

First Name
Gregg
A touch more done. Starting with canopy making. Not my favourite pastime, but at least in 1:72, there isn't much to do. Oddly though, no raised detail, all lines were recessed on the canopy. Fujimi give the option of open or closed canopy, mine will be closed, clean lines.

View attachment 273102

Then the kit supplied exhausts were given a few layers of Alclad. The pictures don't show it too well, but they are quite well detailed.
View attachment 273103

Further Alclad was applied to the metal area under the tail. I've tried to replicate the burnt metal here, not too successful in this small scale.
View attachment 273104

Then the top coat was applied. Humbrol Extra dark sea gray. The white underside has already been done, but I forgot to photo this. It's white, that's all really.
View attachment 273105

After the top coat was finished, a bit of post shading was applied. Well diluted paint and a low pressure was needed here, remembering those panel lines are really small in this scale.
View attachment 273110

And what is really nice is, it all fits in my spray booth, unlike a certain 1:32 He 111 monster, which could maybe just about fit a wing in !

Definitely like the exhaust staining, enjoying this build a lot.

B

Builder

I think your doing really well in this scale. Superb cockpit and awesome looking exhausts

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Colin, you are motoring through this one.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well it was all going so well. I thought the kit decals were a bit old, a bit thick, but went with them anyway. Some were fine, others just wouldn't settle and some silvered. What a pain.
Here am I removing two of the worst offenders. And of course this is why we don't throw spare decals away do we.
Unfortunately the big red decal on the fin is a bit rough too, but I can't replace that with any spares.
IMG_0743.JPG

Look how thick the decals are. The model should be covered in those little instruction / warning signs. I think their thickness is one reason why the little ones like to silver.
IMG_0742.JPG

Repairs done, but not impressed with the decals. However, I should remember that sometime this year, this kit and its decals could turn 30. Yes, 30 years old, I can't complain really can I !
Oh yes, some other bits and pieces as well.

IMG_0745.JPG

And here it is, just sprayed in home made satin varnish. Homemade, well I've lost my normal satin varnish, so out with the gloss and matt, 50:50 mix seems to have worked.
IMG_0747.JPG
I'll probably go with a grey filter next, but all the pics on line do show the roundels etc as being quite bright and clean. So, maybe I'll leave it and see how it looks tomorrow.

Colin M..

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks like you've recovered those decal issues nicely Colin. The exhaust area is looking good.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The exhaust area is looking good
Cheers Joe. It's a very noticeable bit of the Phantom, one many people seem to spend a fair bit of time on. In a larger scale, you could go to town here - I would.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
NICE!! A buddy of mine is building the 1/48 British Navy Phantom!:cool:

First Name
Dave
Looking good Colin.Makes me want to build my Hasegawa 1/48 RN Phantom.Maybe after the Greek one

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for the comments gentlemen. It's now finished, pic's in the completed aircraft thread.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Goodness me, finished already... Another one in the mix Colin?