Colin M - Eduard 1:48 Sopwith F.1 Camel

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking fantastic colin! The cockpit is amazing , great painting and washing, cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A quick update. I've spent what seems like ages fitting tiny bits of PE to the Camel. But finally I've managed a bit of paint. I'm not sure how these were built in the real world, but it might have been a bit like how I'm doing it now. All the major assemblies will be built and painted separately, even the decals will have to be applied at this early stage.

The underside is painted in Vallejo 'Buff' with a fair bit of white added - and it still looks a bit too dark for me. But anyway, the pic shows my attempt at highlighting the spars. Looking at the real thing, it seems that the spars make the linen / cotton fabric appear lighter where the material covers a bit of wood. So a light coat is painted on, masked up with 1.5mm tape, then a slightly darker coat goes over the top - that's the theory anyway !

View attachment 44524

Apologies for the poor picture, the wife has gone out and taken the good camera by accident. Well I think it was by accident, she's off to see the stage version of the 'Full Monty' !

View attachment 47700

Spars.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Speachless mate. That is some great detailing work. Spot on mate.

Andy

M

mobear

colouring looks really good to me,i did have the choice to do the canvas colour but because of the razzle dazzle camo i decided against it,so it looks really nice on yours

mobear

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Colin

Truly excellent work on the Sopwith Camel, everything looks just right. This is going to be a lovely looking model and one I'm really looking forward to seeing complete. Not too quickly though as I'm enjoying the build log.

Keep up the great work.

All the best

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I dont know about your camels underside colour colin , but it sounds like your missus is doing some research into things 'in the buff'!!! Hope the camera has got a wide angle lens!! Cheers tony p.s. the camel is looking fantastic,!

T

tecdes

Wow Colin Picasso has nothing on you. That is top stuff. That cockpit is quite something.

Laurie

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks again all for taking a look. All your comments are appreciated. I don't know what it is about this build, but it's like I'm waiting for a diaster to happen. I've enjoyed other builds much more than this one. I'm not sure what my problem is, but anyway, on we go.

Tony, I'm pleased to report the wife did take the camera by accident - so no dodgy pics.

Following on from my earlier pic of the underside of the wings with many pieces of 1.5mm making tape, I'm happy to report, it worked. The spars now seem to be visible through the wing covering. Also the upper surfaces have been painted in 'Russian uniform WW2' darkened in some areas, lightened in others. As already mentioned by many, PC 10 is a bit of an unknown colour, so anything between green and brown should do. I like green, so that's the way I went.

A couple of coats of 'Klear' followed by most if not all of the decals - and I still wont have put the thing together - maybe that's why it all feels so strange !!

View attachment 44669View attachment 44670

View attachment 47830

View attachment 47831

lower wing surfaces.jpg

Upper wing surfaces.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very good my man!

Ian M

M

mobear

magnificent colin love the colourisation works really well

mobear

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks Ole, I'm quite happy with the paint. Infact, this might be my very first model that doesn't get any weathering - well we'll see.

What a strange state of affairs. Here is my Camel, all paint and decals applied - and I still haven't built it !!

View attachment 44732

View attachment 47893

Bits and pieces.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've been quietly following this Colin and it's looking good now.

Yes, it does look strange all painted up, but still in kit form!

With a bit of imagination you could enter it into the 'Crash' build, then after glue it up!

Cheers,

Ron

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very nicely done Colin!

This is going to be great and you seem to have steamed through the build. Quality work and speedy too. I'm in agreement about the weathering too. My 2 Fokker Dreideckers will only receive light weathering. The WW1 aircraft have such wonderful paint schemes it seems a shame to cover it in grime.

Looking forward to the finished aircraft which can't be too far away now at the speed you're going!

All the best

Paul

M

mobear

awesome,nothing else to say about it,weathering?do a slight bit,not much more lol

mobear

A

andyrobs

Hi colin, looking fantastic mate, I love these old bi-planes

Cheers, Andrew

T

treyzx10r

Colin the paint work is top notch ,looking forward to seeing it come together!

T

tecdes

Nice work Colin.

Always amazed to see the so many ways every body has of constructing their models. That is the sequences are so different.

Laurie

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So, a late entry for the crash build, nice idea Ron. Or maybe, one day, all 'starter' kits will be like this !! As for my build sequence Laurie, it may not be the best way of doing it but it works for me. The joints are very well engineered with no filling needed (except a tiny bit along the fuselage seam)

But anyway, tonight I'm hoping to get the upper wing on. This is the bit I've been dreading. There's no positive location of the wing struts, so it all a bit 'wobbly' - alignment will be a nightmare. Before I make my first attempt on this task, it's time to raid the kids lego !

View attachment 44790

View attachment 47946

slightly built.jpg