Discussion in 'April-June 2012 GB: WWI' started by colin m, Apr 2, 2012.
looking forward to the Sopwith Camel. It'll be interesting to see this build develop as I'm not familiar with the kit.
have a great holiday and see you in the GB when you're back
Don't forget to post the box art and sprue shots. It's always nice to see whats in the box.
WW1 machines seem much more complicated.
Nice thing as well all the cockpit detail etc. is there to be admired & not hidden as WW11 stuff.
Somewhere nice ? It's now 24 degrees, lava everywhere and the G & T is free. I think I'll be ok !
So, in my absence, I made a start on the Camel.
The box art. This comes complete with two pieces of PE.
The wicker seat and fuel tank all done.
The engine. I went cross eyed wiring the twin plugs up !
And finally for now, the instrumment panel. I find this quite funny. I've made it look more like a walnut veneer dashboard out of a Bentley instead of a WW1 instrument panel. Maybe this pilot liked a touch of class ??
Did you add the copper pipes on the engine or did the model come with them. Which ever they look really the part.
photo etch before. It's clearly great stuff for detailing, but more than a bit trickey in places.
Laurie, the kit comes with all sorts of extras, like 2 sets of photo etch, some tiny bits of resin and some paint masks. The 'copper' wires are part of the PE included with the kit.
First problem was an error by myself.
I've only fitted the fuel tank back to front, which means the fuel filler is in the wrong place to go through the top of the fuselage. On close examination of the instructions, they do indicate the tank should be leaning backwards ! That wasn't too clear to me. Unfortunately as the cockpit assembley doesn't fit inside the cockpit very well, a trial fit was nearly impossible.
It's not to easy to see, but the mounting points for the cockpit assembley had to be made wider, no big deal.
But finally, I got the assembley lined up and in place. The next problem was getting the instrument panel to go in as well. Quite simply the IP mounting bar isn't wide enough. You might have noticed I've cut the fuel filler off. That can be re- fitted later !
The instrument panel is in place, but I will need to add some sort of extra support before the fire wall goes in place just to make sure it stays where I put it.
Tonight's work will mainly consist of removing surface detail and replacing it with PE. The kit is well detailed and I would be quite happy with the plastic detail, but as I've got loads of PE to use, on it goes. Right, where's that file.
Separate names with a comma.