Colin M's Sea Harrier FRS1

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for looking in everyone. Now time for major surgery. Airfix do give some guide to cutting the GR3 nose off, but nevertheless, it's not to precise. So, a glass or two and go for it. That gives us this.

View attachment 96881

GR3 below, removed. SHAR above, to be fitted.

Chop shop.JPG

M

Mike

I thought you were joking! You actually have to cut the nose off?!?! They didn't have two noses to mount to the same section of the fuselage?!?!?!?!?!?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Yes Mike, and it's not a straight cut either. On top of the fuselage, behind the seat, the cut curves backwards. It's all a bit of a guess really.

And the real good news is, after spraying a bit of primer on the fuselage, those Bl@#dy rivets are still visible. Even more filling to do.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Such fun. The Sea Harrier nose is now well and truly fixed in place. Talk about filler, and more filler. There seems to be a light dusting of green all around the house at the moment. The rivets have had another going over, third time in some places, will they ever vanish ?

View attachment 97977

I'm currently sticking other bits together ready for installation on the model. Lots of parts don't quite fit. Just a bit out, but every piece that doesn't fit has to be persuaded, which of course all takes time. Next job is to fit the air intakes properly, again, which don't quite fit. However, a major plus point is that, all these bits that don't fit means more filling and sanding - thus causing more rivets to die !

The engine is just fitted loosely at the moment. I'm not dressing the engine up for display as the wing is such a bad fit, and anyway, I want this in flight, just like on the box art.

IMG_0841.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Good to see you are enjoying yourself there Colin ;)

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I've still got to start mine Colin dreading filling the rivets

Great work so far mate I will watch a little more before I start :smiling3: :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
nice nose job!

Pity those rivets are giving you grief but I'm sure you'll get them sorted.

First Name
Dave
Looking good Colin.My 1/24 Spitfire is covered in rivets as well.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I really need to stop moaning about my P47 build when I see the effort you guys are putting in to your builds! This is great stuff so far Col.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A challenge this one. Building up well though.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Mine to but I let them alone.

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Colin

The Airfix Harrier looks a bit of a challenge but you're making progress with this older generation kit.

Can I ask, are you going to re rivet the fuselage with smaller more discrete rivets or have the fuselage smooth?

I think this is a really interesting build Colin and I'm looking forward to the progress.

It's good to see a jet or two amongst all the props in the SSIG too!

Cheers

Paul

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Work continues, just sanding pieces, adding them, filling around the edges and sanding them again.

\ said:
Can I ask, are you going to re rivet the fuselage with smaller more discrete rivets or have the fuselage smooth?
Ideally, once they are gone, there will be no sight of them at all. In reality, I think a number will still be visible to the camera, but hopefully not the eye, at a distance anyway. Why are they going, well because of this:

View attachment 98710

Look how smooth it is. I believe the sea going version of the Harrier was riveted flush, so very few, if any would be visible.

sea_harrier_frs1_17_of_19.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's good enough for me - good point well argued! Smooth is definitely the way to go.

Cheers

P

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Wings - it has wings. Ok so the don't fit very well and like everything will need lots of sanding and filler, but at least they are attached. Speaking of sanding, see the 'Tack rag' in the picture ? This build is generating so much dust, I've resorted to industrial solutions.

View attachment 99379

View attachment 99380

Looks like I'll be using a bit of plastic card to fill the gaps this time, well makes a change from 'Squadron' !!

Colin M...

Wings 1.JPG

Wings 2.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
This is turning out nicely Colin. Bit of a sand and fill fest but it's looking good.