Colin M's Trumpeter 1:72 fairey Gannet mk 1 / 4

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Here's my choice of build for this GB. A welcome return to 1:72 for me after a 1:24 SHAR.

I've never built a Trumpeter kit before. It looks good, but I believe Trumpeter may not be the most accurate kits around. Well this looks like a Gannet, so that will do me.

Anyway, it has a good level of detail and fine recessed panel lines. Right, off to Youtube to watch some Gannet carrier landings.

Colin M....

View attachment 107267

View attachment 107268

View attachment 107269

View attachment 107270

IMG_0703.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
POpcorn in the pan. Comfy seat found.

Begin-

Ian M

First Name
Jason
I'm in Colin, this is a great kit. I found polishing the canopies a bit tricky but apart from that it was good fun. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Jason

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
I'm in Colin, this is a great kit. I found polishing the canopies a bit tricky but apart from that it was good fun. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Jason
Eh up, polishing canopies, what have you seen that I haven't ?

First Name
Jason
\ said:
Eh up, polishing canopies, what have you seen that I haven't ?
Hi had a seam straight through the middle of all three canopies. Scraped them off with a blade and polished them back up with micro mesh. It was a bit of a pain. If you don't have that on your canopies then brilliant.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Hi had a seam straight through the middle of all three canopies. Scraped them off with a blade and polished them back up with micro mesh. It was a bit of a pain. If you don't have that on your canopies then brilliant.
Alas no, my canopies do have the ridiculous seam just as you describe.

Well, masking canopies is probably my least favourite part of a build. I think I've just found something else I'm not going to enjoy.

First Name
Jason
Doh! Thought they might have fixed it. Do what I do Colin and get the worst bits out of the way first. Less likely to run out of enthusiasm that way as well.

One more tip mate, you'll need a LOT of weight in the nose to stop it tail sitting.

Jason

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Doh! Thought they might have fixed it. Do what I do Colin and get the worst bits out of the way first. Less likely to run out of enthusiasm that way as well.
One more tip mate, you'll need a LOT of weight in the nose to stop it tail sitting.

Jason
It certainly does look like a tail sitter. I'll start adding the lead at the spinner and work backwards.............

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So, I've got a bit of a cold and don't feel like doing much - outside. So, great excuse to play with plastic.

Wendall recently completed one of these and pointed out to me that the canopies, three of them, will need polishing to remove some quite awful moulding lines.

Here is two of the little blighters, moulding lines just visible, but very visible in real life.

View attachment 108642

Start sanding

View attachment 108643

And after lots of polishing, a coat of Klear.

View attachment 108644

Now, the cockpit, well both of them are pretty sparse, so I'm adding just a few bits to liven things up. And yes, we all know, none of this will be visible once the fuselage is closed - why do we do it ??

View attachment 108645

That's it for now............................

Colin M..

Seams 1.JPG

Seams 2.JPG

Seams 3.JPG

Cockpit 1.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Canopies are looking better now Colin, nice work.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Cheers Gentlemen,

So, just a bit more. I didn't spend ages on the interior as it really won't be very visible at all, as you can see, quite basic.

View attachment 109188

Just under the cockpit is the front wheel well. Any one else think this is going to be a tail sitter ? Me too, hence the first load of lead going in here.

View attachment 109189

Main gear wheel wells were nearly devoid of any detail, so I glued some bits in, just a few.

View attachment 109190

And finally, the wings were slightly modified, just to avoid a 'totally flat' area. The holes may not be there on the real thing, but this looks a bit better than bare plastic.

View attachment 109191

Right, time to stick a fuselage together.

Colin M...

Cockpit 1.JPG

Lead.JPG

Wheel well.JPG

Wing mods.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Cheers Joe, get a look at it now, it will soon be out of sight forever......................

Anyway, as thought , it's a tail sitter.

View attachment 109652

Lead,and more lead. If this isn't enough, I'll be packing out the forward edges of the wings next.

View attachment 109653

Fuselage went together well. Now time to stick some more bits on and see how the C of G looks.

Tail sitter.JPG

Enough lead.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Bang goes the Church roofs in Stafford guys.
Great work Colin looking forward to more.
Rumbled - doh........