Very good idea for the flippers.

Cheers. Polux

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
MMM cornish pastie ! ,seriously , it looks great colin , top work mate ,looking forward to seeing it come to life so to speak , cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I would not even know where to start on such a project! Watching with note pad in hand!

Ian M

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
MMM cornish pastie ! ,seriously , it looks great colin , top work mate ,looking forward to seeing it come to life so to speak , cheers tony
Not too keen on the filling Tony

Great start Colin looking forward to more

C

CDW

\ said:
I would not even know where to start on such a project! Watching with note pad in hand!Ian M
My way, not necessarily the best way, it to get a general shape, then fill in all the larger details and tidy up joins, after that I make a thin paste of the clay and paint it over the whole model, when its dried off a bit I'll then use tools to add all the fine detailing.

This excludes the head as this will be detailed off the model and then filled and smoothed into the neck.

Its worked with a load of dragons I made for people so let's hope I haven't lost the knack. :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

*edit* forgot to say this, hopefully, will be specifically Hydrotherosaurus (basically because I like the shape of the head and neck, very monitor lizard like :smiling3: ) which was about 35 - 40 feet long ... So to answer Laurie's question of earlier, it will be about 1/35 scale.

Last edited:
C

CDW

Right then ... Hobby craft "wont crack or shrink when drying" clay is not what it says on the tin.... never had this problem with Das stuff.

View attachment 70408

View attachment 70409

Started the basis of the tail, and filled in a few areas to create body folds/creases etc.

The tail is flattened as i read in a paper that there is evidence that the endmost bone fossils were slightly longer laterally giving an indication that the tail end could be somewhat paddle shaped as an aid to steering ... so that's the direction i'm going in :smiling3:

View attachment 70410

View attachment 70411

SAM_0475.JPG

SAM_0476.JPG

SAM_0478.JPG

SAM_0479.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice repair colin , keep it up mate , cheers tony

C

CDW

Well the trials and tribulations with this rubbish clay continue ..... On picking up the model after drying time the tail broke under its own weight in two places.

It seems there's no binder in the stuff, and it goes almost to powder on drying.

Am going to use polyfiller to coat the model and give me the base for detailing.

The neck will probably end up made from plasticine as I'm not prepared to continue working with the poor quality clay.

Will update with piccies when I've got something other than a broken Cornish pastie to show :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Col. Sorry to hear of the problems you're having with that clay.

I'm no expert but if I was in your shoes, I'd scrap what you've done so far (while there's still not too much to lose) and re-start with a better quality clay. I know you're going to reinforce what's there, but I'd worry about it breaking again when handling it for painting etc. Any building is only as strong as its foundations.

Gern

PS Not trying to teach grandma - just a thought.

C

CDW

Yeah youre right, and the though crossed my mind Dave, Still though, plenty of time to complete so I'm going to grit my teeth and try to build up from what I have at the mo.

If it all goes nipples skywards then I'll admit defeat and redo.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I would be banging the clay down on the counter where it was bought and demand a refund.

Ian M

C

CDW

\ said:
I would be banging the clay down on the counter where it was bought and demand a refund.Ian M
Great minds think alike mate..... That's happening tomorrow !!!

C

CDW

Been ...moaned... reimbursed ... kept the crappy stuff too.

Going to drift away from the norm here and place everything into situ so there's extra strength from the dio base

I'll be repairing, adding to, painting and finishing as a whole, gawd 'elp me.

This is the general layout, the rocks are made from the remaining clay as are the eggs,

Ill be needing to finish theneck and make the flippers, these can be laid on the ground and resting on the wire whilst they dry, When this is all dry i'll make a runny polyfiller mix and pour it between the rocks and up to the eggs and plesio's body/flippers ... this will be textured to give a sloppy mud type stuff

View attachment 70617

View attachment 70618

View attachment 70619

20131007_151054.jpg

20131007_151102.jpg

20131007_151140.jpg

C

CDW

OK then, been shaping and re-shaping the body etc to get some lumps and bumps under the "skin" to simulate muscle/bone etc.

Got the neck done up to the joint for the head

Finished the base off adding fern/lichen type stuff that you'd find in clay-pits around the time.

Obviously you couldn't have a pristine animal in a mucky hole thrashing around and laying eggs without getting a tad s**t up so that's the look I've gone for and tried to get it to sink into the surface a bit.

View attachment 71200

View attachment 71201

View attachment 71202

View attachment 71203

View attachment 71204

View attachment 71205

View attachment 71206

View attachment 71207

View attachment 71208

Next up is the head where there's a bit of detail required so i'm taking my time on it ... if only these were thought to be fully scaled, i could have detailed the body a lot more .. ho-hum. :smiling3:

SAM_0480.JPG

SAM_0481.JPG

SAM_0483.JPG

SAM_0484.JPG

SAM_0485.JPG

SAM_0488.JPG

SAM_0489.JPG

SAM_0490.JPG

SAM_0491.JPG

C

CDW

Thanks Ian, its getting there!

Im surprised there's only four of us in this build ... Though there was more interest when the theme was decided.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Coming along nicely Colin. Interesting to watch this come to life with the sculpting.

First Name
Andy
HI Colin,

Looking great so far Sir, I actually thought you had finished it, then I read the bit about her not having a head yet, although, maybe you could team up with Ian (Papa) and have his T-Rex munching on her head just as a Triceratops come wandering around the corner, sees the T-Rex munching and is about to scoot when he sees the meteorite come shooting out of the sky and clonks Mr Rex on the head...;)

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
HI Colin,Looking great so far Sir, I actually thought you had finished it, then I read the bit about her not having a head yet, although, maybe you could team up with Ian (Papa) and have his T-Rex munching on her head just as a Triceratops come wandering around the corner, sees the T-Rex munching and is about to scoot when he sees the meteorite come shooting out of the sky and clonks Mr Rex on the head...;)
I think its time for your medication Andy

C

CDW

Well after losing a bit of "mojo" in the modeling world ... i finally got on with the head and tidied up the groundwork a bit and i'm calling this finished...

All scratch built (apart from the photo frame:smiling3:) ..... comments welcome, be gentle!!!!

View attachment 72246

View attachment 72247

View attachment 72248

View attachment 72249

View attachment 72250

View attachment 72251

View attachment 72252

View attachment 72253

View attachment 72254

View attachment 72255

View attachment 72256

View attachment 72257