Completed Cold War group build, Colin M's Airfix Sea Vixen

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It's finished with about two weeks to spare, not to bad.
Topside sprayed with Vallejo Extra dark sea grey, underneath Humbrol gloss white and all covered in Ak satin varnish.
I have tried to really restrain myself from making a dirty aircraft but did allow myself some variance in the paint work, not that you can tell from my pictures, so if you like your birds clean, this is for you.

The actual kit is well represented in many reviews on the web. And they're all correct, it's a great kit.
I did add a bit to the cockpit and used Eduard belts as well.
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

Colin M..

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Superb work Colin.

All those decals would drive me insanitary!

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Sweet build!!:cool:

First Name
Dave
Great work Colin. I must get one myself. I've liked this aircraft ever since I was allowed to work on one as a 17 year old doing my airframe fitters course at RAF Halton in 1976.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great Job.

I dont know which is worse the rigging on a biplane or all the decals on modern jets.
Oh, nice one. Me being me, I like rigging. This was a learning curve ! But not too many decals.
DH2 Engine.JPG

Great work Colin. I must get one myself. I've liked this aircraft ever since I was allowed to work on one as a 17 year old doing my airframe fitters course at RAF Halton in 1976.
So you have actually touched one - just a bit jealous now. It's an imposing model, the real thing must be amazing. It is big (the model and the real thing) imagine trying to land one on an aircraft carrier, at night.
As for the kit, do get one, it won't disappoint. Well except for Mr Airfix's giant sprue gates (which meant I had to sand and polish the canopy) but apart form that, it's great.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Colin, I've been away from the computer for a long time, and when I left this was in the midst of your build. Absolutely stunning finish, this is certainly one to be very proud of.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
.......so if you like your birds clean, this is for you.

My turn Colin. There has to be a joke in there somewhere!

I know I popped on a 'Like' at your initial presentation, but I have to add this is a superb build.

Ron

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Is that the big 1/32 DH2 or the 1/48 kit?