Completed...'In the Woods'....Brush Painted 'Disc Camo' Stug IV with schurzen.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'm not ready for 'serious' building just yet, but when I was reading Jack10's excellent Panther build, I noticed Jen's reference to summat called 'Disk Camo'

That old devil 'curiosity' bit me......

When I saw the images of the camouflage I thought. "Now there's a challenge and a half for us brush wallahs!
So I set to experimenting. I came up with the idea of using an old paintbrush with a suitable diameter ferrule, and cutting the bristles almost down to nothing.(I did the same with a smaller brush)

After loading the near bald brush with suitably thinned paint, I found that by twisting the brush through a few degrees, a circle can be made.

I was about to buy a 1/35 Stug kit, when I remembered I built one for one of my first ever dioramas in 2009. So up in the loft I goes and there it was. The dio. is long gone, but the Stug remains......Sorted!

I had a play on the bottom of the model.....
It's one thing practicing with paints where things can't be seen, but quite another actually applying your 'Idea' to the model itself. I sat in front of the thing for ages.....:eek:

I didn't pencil in any guide lines, I just started in a corner and let the pattern develop where it would.

There are a few bits missing from the kit, but as this is really a painting exercise, please excuse the model's inaccuracies..

Anyway, here is the result so far. Still the weathering to do.

Here's the German Grey Stug IV in the original diorama.
fin__dio_sept_2009_013.jpg

Stripped down and re-painted. The Commander's off on leave! Mud still on the tracks.
P1180560.JPG
Luckily, I still had the original side plate thingies.
P1180561.JPG

Here are the shots of my attempt at a 'Squeeky Clean' Disc Camo. Brush 'swirled' with Vallejo Model Air Acrylics.
Detail and tools etc., painted with those lovely little pots of Airfix paints...Honest!
P1180564.JPG

P1180565.JPG

P1180563.JPG

P1180566.JPG

P1180567.JPG

P1180569.JPG

A few rugby balls here and there, but overall, I don't mind admitting I'm really chuffed at this first time stab at it. I hope you approve too?

Next I'll touch up, and tone down the paintwork, then muck it all up etc., and place it on a base of some sort.

Cheers all and thanks for looking.
Ron

First Name
colin
That's an interesting pattern Ron. I think its excellent considering you did it with a hairy stick.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great job mate , its sending my eyes funny looking at it , which proves the concept i suppose! , cheers tony

J

Jens Andrée

In real life they wouldn't have perfect disc templates in the field so your brush painted one is probably way more accurate than the most popular images out there! ;)
Looking fab!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for all your positive posts, chaps. Much appreciated.

Don't you just love this model making lark? Not only are we learning from each other how to build and paint plastic, we find out bits of history along the way!

....so thanks to Jen's input, I now know this wacky camo. really did exist.

Thanks again everyone.
Ron

First Name
Jimbob
Wonderful especially using a brush anytime I try it looks thick, great looking camouflage. Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers Jimbob. Keep your paints thin. It will take 3, even 4 coats to look something like.....never be tempted to thickening the paint - No matter how awful the first coats look, and rest assured, they will be.....;)

O.K., I've toned down the general paintwork, and finished the weathering on the wheels and the side thingies. I've tried for a splashed up mud/dust effect.

P1180579.JPG

P1180580.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Very interesting pattern, good job Ron. It reminds me of one of those magic eye puzzles. If I look at it cross eyed will I see a hidden image? :D

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Very nice - reminds me of those tests for colour blindness!

Pete

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Ron, now I've spat tea all over my keyboard. :D