Completed...'In the Woods'....Brush Painted 'Disc Camo' Stug IV with schurzen.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Good point, didn't read it properly while I was trying to unstick my keys. :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry for the late response, chaps, but I only returned from beautiful N/W Scotland last night - but 10hrs on a coach is not much fun!

Thanks for all your encouraging and complimentary posts. I appreciate them all.

Cheers.
Ron

D

Deleted member 4539

Nice one Ron:smiling3:.
It is always nice when you try something new and it works.
Now try a German pea dot camo on a figure:D.
All the best.
Ralph.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one Ron:smiling3:.
It is always nice when you try something new and it works.
Now try a German pea dot camo on a figure:D.
All the best.
Ralph.

First off Ralph, it's good to have you back and showing us your excellent work!

Thanks for the nice post.

I might just try the 'Pea Pod' camo. on my Avatar 1/16 'Modified' Tamiya German Machine Gunner figure.......;)

Cheers.
Ron

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice Ron. Is this a sort of digital camouflage, the sort of thing image recognising software has trouble with ?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Very nice Ron. Is this a sort of digital camouflage, the sort of thing image recognising software has trouble with ?

It's not only image recognising software that has trouble. Bob (Mr Bowcat) has the same problem!:D:D

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry, Col' I don't understand your question....

....but here's the finished model. No faffing about with this and that weathering, I simply gave the hull a thin wash of dk. Brown acrylics.

The 'trees and shrubs' are picked from the hedge row outside my place.

P1180706.JPG

P1180693.JPG

P1180726.JPG

P1180727.JPG

P1180730.JPG

P1180723.JPG

P1180728.JPG

P1180722.JPG

P1180736.JPG

P1180733.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Ron

J

Jens Andrée

I don't think so to be honest. That type of camouflage wasn't invented until much later, when image recognition software was developed. There weren't even any computers around at WWII unless we talk about the very first electro-mechanical computers that were built in order to speed up Enigma cracking in the UK. Imaging processing computers didn't arrive until the 80's, but they were pretty much useless until the late 90's - and those ones are pretty primitive compared to the things we're doing today.
I've worked with face recognition and I know how to fool such software, but it's a cat & mouse game because it's easy to fix, and a new method for fooling the software is made and so on and so forth.

But camouflage to optically fool people have been used since WWI and the disc camo is just one of the more "artistic" ones. How effective and widespread it was back in WWII I've got no clue. I think it was referred to as "ambush camouflage" or something like that?!
It is though very artistic and cool looking - and Ron has really pulled it off with just a brush! :smiling3:

p.s. Big ships had some sort of large scale camouflage early on to fool the operators that looked at aerial photographs and similar, or is this just my imagination? I'm not really into warships so I don't know their history...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Correct Jens. This pattern was indeed called Ambush Camouflage and as Ron's pictures show, it was rather effective.
Some ships had deception camo. The Bow painted in a lighter colour, a false bow wave painted on the hull, Some even had the stern treated the same way. On a dark night, through a periscope the rather large war ship could be mistaken for a smaller ship.
Razzle camo was designed to confuse the watcher and make it hard to calculate range. Also had an effect of making identifying harder.

I digress.
Ron. Great job and a nice touch with the base for it. It shows it off very well.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Never noticed it before, but the StuG looks quite menacing while waiting in ambush in it's 'natural' habitat. Cracking work as usual Ron.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That type of camouflage wasn't invented until much later, when image recognition software was developed. There weren't even any computers around at WWII
Ahh well then, there you go. Me showing my armour ignorance. I didn't realise it was a WW2 vehicle. Image recognition back in those days was all by Mk 1 eyeball !

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks folks.
Glad you approve of my finished effort.

Cheers.
Ron

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Ron you truly are the hairy stick king in my eyes. So I'm forcing myself to paint with a brush more and more now as I can see how handy a string it is to my modelling bow. I use gunze acrylics and Vallejo model air and I know you said it can take a few coats but how thin should I be knocking the paints up and how do I stop them going off so quick on the pallet? I have some flow enhancer would this help.
Great build mate.
Phil

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Phil, but King?! Nah, too many have had their heads chopped off. I'll keep mine firmly below the parapet....;)
Thanks for the compliment none the less.

Regarding your questions, rather than answer them on this thread, I'll write a brief summat over on The Paint Booth - Brush painting.

Cheers.
Ron

J

Jens Andrée

I've been looking at your pictures too many times now Ron so I've decided to give it a go myself!
I've got a Jagdpanther 2 built and primed where I just can't decide how to paint it and disc camo pattern should fit this "what if" tank destroyer I think?!

This means after dinner tonight I'll start cutting out little circles in masking tape and hope for the best ;)
Wish me luck...

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real nice work Ron,do like the camo,turned out well,;)