Compressor high end or budget buy ? input feedback help required

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
High everyone im looking to get another compressor for minimal spraying at my little model bench downstairs. I already have an Iwata smart jet pro (great product)at my main station in the loft. I was going to just buy another but at £255.00 found it a little bit of overkill for what I'll be using it for. So basically I'm looking for a cheaper compressor hopefully below £100 so if anyone can recommend a good performing cheaper option I'd be very grateful for your input and feedback. I've already tried a 186 model which overheated quickly so please only proven recommendations. Many thanks for any input and reviews left.

Thanks John

D

Deleted member 3568

As186 is great ive had mine about 3 yrs and not had a problem with it. Cant remember how much it was but less than a ton and it came with 2 ab and still using one of those regularly.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
As186 is great ive had mine about 3 yrs and not had a problem with it. Cant remember how much it was but less than a ton and it came with 2 ab and still using one of those regularly.
Cheers Ken my As186 gave me nothing but problems from the day I had it overheating cutting out etc so I'll not be risking one of those again. Blacklisted:mad:
Great that yours works efficiently though thanks for your reply.
Cheers John

D

dubster72

John, not all AS 186 compressors are the same. Like Ken, I had one that lasted many years without any problems. They all get a little hot with extended use, but that's unavoidable. I found that a small fan helped keep the temperature down.

There is another option though. I have a air receiver tank that I was using before I bought my silent compressor. I'd take it to the garage, fill it up & it lasted ages. It's got a capacity of 26 litres & can be pressurised up to 125 psi.

I don't need it any more, so if you're interested drop me a PM.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
See below

Last edited:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
John, not all AS 186 compressors are the same. Like Ken, I had one that lasted many years without any problems. They all get a little hot with extended use, but that's unavoidable. I found that a small fan helped keep the temperature down.

There is another option though. I have a air receiver tank that I was using before I bought my silent compressor. I'd take it to the garage, fill it up & it lasted ages. It's got a capacity of 26 litres & can be pressurised up to 125 psi.

I don't need it any more, so if you're interested drop me a PM.

Thanks for the offer Patrick but I'm looking for a plug in and play unit with no fuss. You mention you now have a silent compressor which sounds ideal for the location of use as noise will be an issue with the wife. So I'd be very interested to know which one it is you have and what you think of it cheers John

D

dubster72

No worries mate, although personally I doubt you'll find anything that's much better than the generic clones of the AS 186 model out there. My belief is there's all manufactured at the same Chinese factory & different labels are put on them ;)

The compressor I have is the Clarke Shhh 30/9. It's a silent(ish) one that utilises a refrigeration compressor. Basically it's a hum when in operation. The air tank is 9 litres so it lasts a fair while.

It's not exactly PnP though! To begin you've gotta fill it with oil & then it has a maximum duty cycle of 15 minutes - no problem for me as I fill the tank in advance & if I need more air, run it just one time.

However the price was £260 delivered, so it's not a cheap option.

F

Fenlander

I use this one that I got from John, out of stock at the moment but it is a superb little compressor. Every one I have had up to now has failed around the tank or pressure release not working. This has no tank so less to go wrong. I used to believe these types were no good because of the pulsing air flow that I had read about. Total nonsense, it doesn't pulse at all and provides constant air at the pressure I dial in, always set air pressure with the trigger pressed down to get a true operational pressure as it will drop from static air pressure when you start to spray. Best compressor I have owned to date.

http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/mini-airbrush-compressor-as-18a.html

First Name
colin
I have to agree with you Graham I have a similar compressor to yours I haven't had a bit of bother with it.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
I use this one that I got from John, out of stock at the moment but it is a superb little compressor. Every one I have had up to now has failed around the tank or pressure release not working. This has no tank so less to go wrong. I used to believe these types were no good because of the pulsing air flow that I had read about. Total nonsense, it doesn't pulse at all and provides constant air at the pressure I dial in, always set air pressure with the trigger pressed down to get a true operational pressure as it will drop from static air pressure when you start to spray. Best compressor I have owned to date.

http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/mini-airbrush-compressor-as-18a.html
Cheers Graham sounds like an interesting option and at £59:99 a great price. Many thanks cheers John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Could you not buy an air hose on a reel and run it down to the downstairs place.