Das Boot.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Wow another grand dio in the making Daniel, looking forward to see the start of it all.:smiling::thumb2:
For my Kommandowagen I had a spacing of 41mm between the insides of the railtracks and it was 1/35th too.
Good luck finding all the wanted pieces.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
One question for all of you! Any of you have built a train before? If yes could you please give me a measurement for the distance between the wheels! I like to know if a train would fit on the pier rails ! Thanks in advance regards Danny
In most countries the standard rail gauge is 4' 8 1/2", or 1435 mm. I think that was derived from Roman chariots!

Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Peter
Little bit of info you might be interested in...
Four foot eight and a half inches was taken from coal cart tracks. The chariot measurement was seven foot and a quarter inch, used for GWR broad gauge.....why wasn’t it just seven feet though, what does the extra quarter inch add???
Cheers
Tim

D

Daniel Horvath

Thanks for the quick response guys! Well I guess I have let go the train idea because the way i see this distance is definitely more the 41 mm :sad:BD2F610F-DBDB-45AB-922A-AED00EE55C88.png

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It appears we have very similar ideas when it comes to floaty things. I also purchased a U VIIc last year in1/87 scale. Think I'll sit on mine a while longer and see what develops with the 1/35 and 1/72 versions before attempting to make the leap.
Rick H.

D

Daniel Horvath

Hi there Rick i see so you let us do the learning curve first before you jump into it! Hope it all turns out well and you get the idea! Best regards Danny

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Daniel, looking at that I would say it is “crane” gauge rather than railway track. The design doesn’t seem correct for trains because the outer relief is superfluous.
Cheers
Tim

D

Daniel Horvath

Hi Tim thanks it is for a crane but the problem is that no company makes such a crane models in 1/35 i found one from u- models but its no longer in production! Guess thats my luck ! So that’s why I thought I can incorporate a train! But that ideas gone out the window!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Danny,
By the way where are you going to park this ''Behemoth'' once you call it complete?
Rick H.

D

Daniel Horvath

I have a spare room for my dioramas ! So it will rest with the others when its done! Thanks again for joining regards Danny

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi danny
Are there any plans about so you could scratchbuild one? You should be able to source the wheels easily enough....
Cheers
Tim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I would check out model railroad sources for quayside cranes in 1/48 & 1/72 scales (O&HO) for models that could be modified to suit. Usually just making bigger doors will work if the model is large enough. PaulE