First Name
David
eduard ssw.jpg

Not that many sprues, not that many parts - crisply moulded, no flash
sprue 01.jpgsprue 02.jpg

No PE, no resin two finishes.....................finishes.jpg
The real difficult part will be the large sheet of decals
lozenge decals.jpg
Wings and tail covered in lozenge camo, and all those rib tapes, and rigging as well!!!
Construction will start shortly
Dave

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hey this looks one pretty familiar Dave:tongue-out3:.
As we're going to build the same kit for this GB, which marking scheme are you going for?
I'll go for the other one, same kits ok ,same markings in one GB:upside::smiling2:....

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice looking kit dave , those decals are going to be a challenge though! The wings and tailplane should be reasonably straightforward but those undercarriage struts might be tricky. Best get plenty of decal solvent in! , cheers tony

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Fernando,
well, I've got a bottle of Vallejo Ultramarine & Scarlet out, because I can't work out how to do a wood finish on the fuselage. I can do things like propellers, but a large surface like that, no. One of the difficulties will be deciding when to decal the wings. I think at this stage it will be the bottom of the top wing, the tops of the bottom wing, assembling and rigging, before the final lozenge decals on the top of the upper wing, and bottom of the lower wings! - It all may go wrong, if the decals don't work out, then this will be landfill!
Haven't managed any benchtime today - life got in the way of important things!
Cheers, Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Dave
Have a look at the Wingnut Wings web site, there’s a decent SBS on woodgraining....and quite a lot else to do with biplanes...
Cheers
Tim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks for that, Tim - I've seen some awesome results from Wingnut models - their FE2b is exquisite. 1/32 may be the next step, if 1/48 becomes too small for me!
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Will follow this Dave.
Those decals ........!
John.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Construction off and running. Fuselage sides, frames and other details added & primed. There's a fair bit of detail painting, and one or two tiny decals to add.fuselage inners primed.jpg
I wanted to try the lozenge decals.....................
lozenge trial.jpg
I needed to see how they reacted to Humbrol Decalfix, it can be a bit fierce. The decals seemed pretty tough, and flexible.......
elevator.jpg
Next, I'll add the rib tapes - looks tedious! The top wing is a LOT bigger, but doing the elevator will be a good work out for the method
Dave

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Fernando,
well, I've got a bottle of Vallejo Ultramarine & Scarlet out, because I can't work out how to do a wood finish on the fuselage. I can do things like propellers, but a large surface like that, no. One of the difficulties will be deciding when to decal the wings. I think at this stage it will be the bottom of the top wing, the tops of the bottom wing, assembling and rigging, before the final lozenge decals on the top of the upper wing, and bottom of the lower wings! - It all may go wrong, if the decals don't work out, then this will be landfill!
Haven't managed any benchtime today - life got in the way of important things!
Cheers, Dave
I know the feeling of doing the wooden finishes Dave, with Tim's tip I'll have a crack at the wooden variant, might be an interesting experience....:thinking:
I think I'll do the wings and struts completely with decals before final assembly and rigging to have the most room to work with them.

Great start on your plane:thumb2: and good luck with the rest of the decals.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Fernando,
good luck with your build sequence!
The temperature has hit 28C again here, and lassitude meant only a short time at the bench.
fuselage inner detail.jpg
Next is the control column etc. I'm not going to add wire to the 'stick', as indicated in the instructions - I can barely see the area before joining the fuselage, so will be invisible after assembly.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The cockpit controls added to the bottom wing, detail painted, and waiting for the seat.
The lozenge decals have been added to the uppersurfaces of the lower wing - before that I drilled 0.6mm holes ready for the rigging.bottom wing lozenge.jpg
Assembled the engine - primed and basecoated with aluminium. The firewall has a lot of detail - all going to be invisible! The elevator has had the tiny rib tapes added - I can barely see the difference.......
engine firewall elevator.jpg
I can't remember another model where I've added decals whilst the parts where still on the sprue. I got a bit carried away, and added the wheel cover lozenge discs - I should have painted the tyre first - oh well............
aileron lozenge.jpg
I think I can get away with brush painting the scarlet forward fuselage, but may airbrush the ultramarine section, I'll have to see how it goes
Dave

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Thanks Dave and nice way to decal the parts with them still on the sprues.:thumb2:
Good luck with the painting.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow that looks good Dave.
Did you have any trouble with the Humbrol ?
John.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Fernando, John,
I use Humbrol Decalfix, and it's a bit fierce, and it seems to make the decals want to stick to your fingers, so the less you have to touch them, the better - leaving them on the sprue just makes the handling easier. As usual, when you first apply the Decalfix, it looks terrible - wrinkles everywhere, but it evens out as it dries - pretty slowly, though - overnight at minimum. The Eduard decals are pretty tough, luckily!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Last night, I put on the upper wing lower surface lozenge decal. You have to be pretty accurate when placing the decal, as the moulded in rib details really hinders the movement afterwards.
After a night of drying, this is how it looksunderside lozenge.jpg
The small rib tapes will be applied over this.............
Dave

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave .
Don't think anyone could complain at that, it really looks fine.
John.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
You certainly don't believe in choosing the easy option :smiling5: Those decals and the rigging would give me nightmares. You look to have it all under control though. Deciding at what stage to add the decals must have needed some thinking about.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jim,
the instructions do not offer any guidance as to when to apply the decals - it would be possible to apply the decals after assembly is finished, but that would mean cutting the lozenge decals to fit them round the struts! All in all I think the logical way is to apply them partway through the assembly. I've finally decided to brush paint all the fuselage - it seems to be a waste to mix up some airbrush brew for such a small area
Dave