Dave Ward's Revell/ICM 1/72 Seehund

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Since I've joined the forum, I've done blogs on a jet ( Mig-21 ), and a F1GB Braun Tyrrell Honda, so for my next it's something that floats ( partly )seehund boxart.jpg
This is the reboxing of the ICM modelseehund sprues.jpg

The sprues aren't modified
icm logo.jpg

Different decals, and instructions, 2 finish options - none of which are the boxart!
This is going to be OOB, apart from the top hatch, which I'm going to replace with a clear astrodome from my spares box ( the kit part is solid ).
Construction will start shortly

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After finishing my F1GB entrant, it's onto this. It's a simple model, 40 odd bits, and I have made the major parts ( all 6 of them! )
major bits.jpg

There aren't any location pins on the parts, so careful alignment is needed. The weld seams on the hull look a little too prominent, so I'll try and knock the corners off with wire wool. Its interesting to see which colours are called out for the torpedos, both on the model and on the 'net - ranging from silver body. and red warhead to overall light grey. I think I'm going with gunmetal body, and black warhead.
I don't think this is going to take very long - I'll probably spend more time masking, than actually putting parts together....
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave .
Nice change of direction.Will watch .
John .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After adding a few more part - the hull is complete, apart from a few details ( propeller etc )hull complete.jpg
The plastic is a bit soft, and doesn't take a fine finish. Next step is to give an overall primer coat
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I primed, and let dry overnight. I looked through my paint collection for a suitable grey. I settled on MiG Medium Gunship Grey...................
basecoat .jpg
The torpedoes are primed overall black, I'll mask the warhead and spray the body gunmetal.
There are a few decals to add to the hull, so I'll give a quick overspray of gloss varnish and make ready for some washes. Nearly time to line up my next build................
Dave

A

Armorguy

Looking good Dave. Projects like this one can be big fun. Not too many parts and a straightforward build.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
OK, ready to dirty up the clean surfaces.pre weather.jpg
I'll leave off the torpedoes, as I figure those wouldn't be on the sub long enough to get weathered. I must remember this is 1/72, and not overdo the scale of washes, rust etc
I think that the next pictures will appear in the completed section. I'm torn between two models for my next build, neither of which have been blogged on this site.
Dave

A

Armorguy

You're right on the torpedoes Dave but I'd leave them on unweathered to add contrast to the sub itself. Now I'll take a look in the completed section because I like it. Well done.