Dave W's BAC Lightning

First Name
Dave
This is my kit for the sig build.Not sure what markings I'm going to do it in yet.But it will definitely be a natural metal finish.Ive got a few extras for it. Namely a resin ejection seat and a PE set for the wheel bays.Not sure how difficult It's going to be to fit the PE.We shall see...

C

Caledonia

Nice one Dave, my favourite Aircraft. It's a good kit so you will enjoy building it. Cheers Derek

First Name
Richard
Nice one Dave,

definitely following this build

Cheers Richi

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Glad to see you join in the fun Dave.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
Thought I'd make a start on this whilst I wait for the paint to dry on my TSR2.I decided to start with the wings as I wanted to see if the Airwaves PE was any good.The PE designed for the undercarriage bay sidewalls is a very good fit.Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the PE intended for the ceiling of the U/C bays.As you can see from the photos it is not big enough to cover the area.It matches the cut out in the lower wing.But as the walls of the bays are molded further apart than the edges of the cut outs,there are gaps when this part is fitted in place.Very disappointing and for that reason I can't recommend this set.You would think the people who design these would do a test build to make sure they actually fit the model before putting them on sale to Joe and Josephine public.A small problem I have come across with the Airfix kit is the fit of the wing halves.If you just glue them as they are there will be a step up to the aileron on the underside.A small plastic card shim will sort this out though.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have also tried an Airwaves set, for another aircraft and I too was very disappointed, I stay well away from them now.

Live and learn. A good school but rather expensive lessons. If there is a resin alternative, I tend to good for them. Easy to fit as well (most of the time).

Ian M

First Name
Dave
I got some decals through the post from Hannants today.Im probably going to do the 74 sqdn aircraft with the black fin.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Te he SNAP!

they do look good with the black against the silver.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
I've assembled the intake ducting,cockpit and engine exhausts.Then I've glued these assemblies into the right fuselage half.Ive also added some pieces of lead sheet to keep the nose wheel on the ground.Im going to use the kit supplied instrument decals and will add them to the cockpit next.

First Name
Gregg
Looking good.

There are several good photo's in this months 'Flypast' magazine that may be of interest Dave.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Looking good.There are several good photo's in this months 'Flypast' magazine that may be of interest Dave.
Just so happens I bought 'Flypast' yesterday.I was attracted by the Lightning on the front cover

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Dave. Minimal filler I see, a nice change for you :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Looks good Dave. Minimal filler I see, a nice change for you :smiling3:
Most of the parts fit quite well on this kit.Although I did have a bit of trouble getting the cockpit tub to sit right.

First Name
Dave
I've spent the last two evenings painting the Quickboost resin seat.I must say it is a superb molding.Ive done my best to paint it using photos off the web.As for the model,it's almost at the painting stage.I need to replace the gun sight plastic with a piece of clear plastic.Then I will mask and fit the windscreen.Ive applied a bit more filler to the spine and will need to rescribe a few lines.This is a great kit of a great aeroplane and I'm really enjoying building it.Highly recommended.