Dave W's BAC Lightning

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great news Dave, I was a bit concerned that you might not be able to recover this great build. Onwards and upwards again!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great to see its risen from the ashes Dave! Nice work on the recovery, looking forward to seeing the silver , cheers tony

First Name
Dave
I've just sprayed the Alclad again and it's gone wrong...again.Dont know why as the gloss black base is as good as I can get it.Its a Pitty because where it's worked it looks very good.Although it's a bit too shiney.If it was ordinary paint I would say is bloomed.I will have to clean it off and start again.Think I will give up on the Alclad because I've had enough and want to get the model finished.

First Name
Dave
I've managed to remove the Alclad airframe aluminium with white spirit.And without removing the primer as well.The only casualty is a tailplane which I will have to glue back on.Ive got some Humbrol metalcote aluminium which I am going to try next.What can possibly go wrong with that?!!.Tune in tomorrow for another episode of 'Dave W's painting disasters'!.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Bloody hell! That is a real bummer Dave. I have no idea why it has done that, well actually I might. I would like to know if that happens if you try on a test object WITHOUT Vallejo Primer. I have a suspicion that is might be leaching through some how. I am also going on the premise that you have not been to heavy with the Alclad... I don't think so as where it has worked it has worked very well!

Bonus points of your perseverance!

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Bloody hell! That is a real bummer Dave. I have no idea why it has done that, well actually I might. I would like to know if that happens if you try on a test object WITHOUT Vallejo Primer. I have a suspicion that is might be leaching through some how. I am also going on the premise that you have not been to heavy with the Alclad... I don't think so as where it has worked it has worked very well!Bonus points of your perseverance!
I did try going over the bad spots with more Alclad after the first coat had dried.But it only made it worse.Ive seen some great finishes achieved with Alclad.So I've done something wrong.Dont know what though.Ive got three P47's in my stash,so I will try it again on one of those one day.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Crikey Dave, that Alclad is proving to be a difficult beast. Best of luck with the Humbrol Metalcote!

First Name
Dave
I've sprayed the model with Humbrol metal cote aluminium (enamel) and got a good blemish free finish.At last something is going right.Its nothing like as good as Alclad though which is disappointing.But at least it means I can finish the build.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
When it has had an over night dry, try buffing it lightly with a soft cloth.... ;)

Or try on a test piece....

Ian M

First Name
Dave
\ said:
When it has had an over night dry, try buffing it lightly with a soft cloth.... ;)Or try on a test piece....

Ian M
I used the same paint on an F15 and it buffed up really well.Trouble is I need to gloss clear coat it before applying the decals.So it's not going to look as good as I'd hoped.I may also pick out a few panels in a different metal finish to make it look a bit more interesting

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think that if you buff it up the decals will go down well with out a gloss coat, but as always try it out on some thing else first. o_O

I rather like the metal cote paints and have often pestered Humbrol to make more of them. Copper, brass, bronze etc. One day maybe.

The steel and gunmetal are just as good and polish up just as well.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
After leaving the model for a few weeks I've decided I don't like the Humbrol aluminium finish.Id sprayed two coats of Vallejo gloss varnish over it for decaling purposes and it's made the aluminium look dull and unrealistic.So I've sprayed Alclad gloss black base over the varnish and am going to have a third attempt at the Alclad!.After discussing it with a mate I've realised where I went wrong.Ive been spraying too heavy coats of the Alclad on.So this time it's going to be several very light coats.

First Name
Dave
I've put two light coats of Alclad airframe aluminium on the model and so far it's ok.Fingers crossed!.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think I would stop while the going is good mate. looks fine to me.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I think I would stop while the going is good mate. looks fine to me.Ian M
I've just had a good look at the model.There are a couple of small areas I'm not happy with.But I think I will leave it at that .Ive got some Alclad Chrome that I would like to do the air intake ring with.But I'm not sure about masking this stuff.Ive got some Alclad Klear Kote which I will spray on before applying the decals.