Dave W's Phantom

S

Stevekir

Duh! The background looked like it was artificial. At least I was able to detect quality. I was right in saying it looked like it was flying!

First Name
Dave
Made a bit more progress.Dirtied it to look a bit war weary and sprayed some gloss varnish on.Ive started applying the decals today.There are a lot of stencils to go on.So it will take a few sessions to get them all on.Im not impressed with the Print Scale decals.Every one of them broke up as I applied them.But I managed to piece them together.The kill markings (two red stars) were way too big when compared with those on a photo of Old's next to his Phantom.Luckily there were some on the Revell kits decal sheet.Im relieved the Revell decals are up to there usual high standard.Once the decals are all on I will give it another coat of varnish and paint the panels around the engine exhaust area.And I'm busy making a aileron out of plastic card to replace the one I lost.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That's looking top notch Dave. The salt chipping has worked out well. Hehe Steve, that's funny mate, because at first I though the same thing.

S

Stevekir

On chipping, a have a recent Flory Models movie using masking fluid. After priming, add some alluminium-looking paint to the area to be chipped, dab a small piece of coarse sponge carrying masking fluid on to those areas, (making random spots), paint as usual (airbrushing seems best) then when dry rub off the masking fluid.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The only trouble with that Steve is the masking fluid under the paint can a), be hard to find b), Be a porker to get off again. I tried this on my Rolls Royce armoured car and it was a pain in the bum. For me at least.

Salt for me. Another way is the hairspray trick. This allows you to chose where to chip the paint after the fact.

Not one to be used with acrylics but water can be used to good effect under an oil based paint, like enamles. Problem is it only really works on flat surfaces....

Ian M

First Name
Dave
I'm still adding stencils to the model.There are a lot on the decal sheet.Ive also made,fitted and painted a replacement right aileron.Luckily the Phantoms ailerons are a simple design to copy.Just two pieces of plastic card and a bit of sprue at the forward end did the job.Ive also painted the wheels and other bits and pieces.Still need to paint all the metal panels around the exhaust area.Will do that after Ive put a coat of matt varnish on.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Absolutely superb stuff Dave. A bit of chipping and wear always does it for me.

Peter

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Been watching from the sidelines Dave and your Phantom is looking great.

Tony.

First Name
Dave
Haven't done a lot of model making lately.Been doing a lot of gardening in the evenings.But I've managed to paint the bare metal areas on the rear fuselage.Im also still applying the stencil decals of which there are a lot.Im worried about them silvering so have been putting them on with wet Klear.Still got some stencils to put on the underside.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Dave. I will hopefully get some time soon to complete my Phantom too.

First Name
Dave
I've finally finished applying all the stencils to the model.Next job is to do a bit more weathering and apply a matt clear coat.Then fit the undercarriage,underwing stores and stabilator halves.Ive still got to clean up and paint eight missiles.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dude, there are more letters on that toom than in a letraset factory!!!

Looking good Dave.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Dude, there are more letters on that toom than in a letraset factory!!!Looking good Dave.

Ian M
That's not all of them either!.I left a lot of the smaller ones off.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
lol

I left more off than I put on mine. White on white..... waste of time

There are lots of the buggers though aren't there!!!

Ian M

First Name
Dave
A bit more progress.Ive added some dirt and stains to the model with the airbrush.I used some Tamiya smoke to get the effect I was after.Now I'm glueing on the undercarriage parts.