Dave W's Phantom

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That airbrushed weathering came out well Dave. Not far to go now and Scat II will be alive.

First Name
Dave
The kit instructions say to paint the sparrow missiles white.Despite there being loads of stencils on the decal sheet,there are none for the missiles.Ive got a review of the new Academy F4B.So I've used that as a reference and painted the missiles as shown.Ive added the black bands from an old decal sheet in my stash.The Phantom is finished now.But I'm going to make a simple base for it before I post pictures of the finished build.

C

Caledonia

Looking really good Dave, look forward to your finished photos. Cheers Derek

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That really is a first class paint job Dave.

Peter

S

Stevekir

\ said:
....So I've used that as a reference and painted the missiles as shown. Ive added the black bands from an old decal sheet in my stash...../QUOTE]

I recently had to put a very narrow red band around an object about 2 cm in diameter. There was a decal but I thought it too delicate to succeed in getting it to lie accurately. So I stick some "Magic Tape" (like Sellotape) on to a plastic ruler, painted red enamel paint on it, let it dry, cut a very narrow band, pulled the band off and stuck on on the object. Then varnished. The sticking-on process was much easier to control than a long thin decal floating on water with a mind of its own.

What I like about this hobby is the opportunity to create ways of doing things.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Steve, that tape method is how I did the blue strips on my Sparrow missiles for my Phantom.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Clever idea Steve............I have some red pinstriping tape I bought from Halfords. It's about 8mm across.......... and would be ideal for that sort of thing trimmed down into thin strips, taking the gloss off with some fine abrasive it takes paint well and stays on .......... and it sticks "Like S*@$ to a blanket" ........... I have loads of it. f anyone wants some PM me and I'll chuck a bit in an envelope for you.

Peter

First Name
Dave
Isn't tape a bit too thick?.I wanted a painted on effect so went for decal.Easy to apply and can be moved into position.With tape I'd have to get it spot on first time.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
After a good varnishing the tape blends in Dave. I used Tamiya tape, it was good.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Isn't tape a bit too thick?.I wanted a painted on effect so went for decal.Easy to apply and can be moved into position.With tape I'd have to get it spot on first time.
Magic Tape is very thin, although about the same as Sellotape. Under an eyeglass it is possible to see its thickness which at 1/72 scale is oversized when compared to the (minute) thickness of two coats of paint in the original object. Looking at my model again (where the stripe is in an inconspicuous position) I agree that it might look too thick even to the naked eye in a conspicuous position and with the light in a certain direction. So perhaps not good for the upper side of a wing or fuselage, for example. As ever, experimentation is the answer.

Actually, I found it easy to apply by fixing one end then pulling the stripe taught on to the required line. It gives time to think, and to pull off and re-apply.

Last edited: