Dave Ws Trumpeter 1/48 Mig-21MF

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm calling this finished........................
fin 01.jpgfin 03.jpgfin 02.jpg

It hasn't turned out as well as I expected, but when I make my next NMF jet I will avoid all the mistakes I made on this. Using an a/b for the NMF was a learning curve, Vallejo Metal Color works well.....................
The Trumpeter Mig-21MF is a good kit, simple construction, nice detail - no real options apart from the decals - NMF Russian, camo East German, Polish, Czech & Iraqi. The only thing I would change would be the two main undercarriage tyres. The nosewheel is plastic. the mains rubber, and I would prefer all plastic, just a personal preference.
Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hello Dave,
I've just completed a nmf myself and agree with you, the Vallejo metal paint works well. Your Mig came out nice in the end. I might be wrong but it looks like there were mercifully few decals on this on to place.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Colin,
I was a bit cautious about decals over the nmf, I thought that the Decalfix I use, might have a bad effect on the finish, so I only really used the Stars, and the bort number. There didn't seem to be any adverse effect, so next time I will use more of the stencil decals.
Dave

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice MiG David. Decalfix is okay on most finishes I find.

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hi Dave,, what aren’t you pleased with? I’m no airplane builder but it looks pretty darn good to me..

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Joe,
careful choice of photo angles hides the really bad bits! It's not that bad really, but I can see how much better it could be - watch out for the next nmf build ( I think a Su-7 ) :relieved:
Dave

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Very nice work Dave. I use Vallejo metal colour all the time for metal colours, I really do like it. I'ts a little more forgiving than Alclad.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Very nice result Dave.
Looking forward to see the SU-7.

Fernando