December 1/72 not-a-GB - M3 Stuart Mk.1 diorama

G

Greg147

Hi all,

As mentioned in the aquisition thread, I've purchased a Stuart for this not-a-GB. I've got a early-Pacific war diorama in mind, and will be modelling this tank as destroyed after getting hit by Japanese AT weapons.

Here's a pic of the contents.

]

Not quite sure why I've been given a random horse with the tank. It can get added to the spare box, I think. Anyway, I've heard some bad things about this one (one review even starts with 'as soon as I opened the box, I remembered why I had never built this Stuart before now'), but as a wreck, I'm sure it will be fine. It's the only one on the market I can find anyway, and I'm fed up with making Shermans ;)

M

m1ks

Have I missed something?

Has a new GB non GB started?

Help!

G

Greg147

Unless I've completely misunderstood this post (which is entirely possible)

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/group-build-chat/11157-december-not-group-build-group-build.html

F

Fenlander

Nice one Greg, that fits the bill perfectly. Looking forward to seeing this one.

Yep you are right, the new Not a GB, GB started 01 Dec as per post.

M

m1ks

That's quite bizzare, this one didn't show up on my new / unread posts doodad?

Right then, I wonder what scale that DUKW is in my pile?

Don't think I have anything else to hand vehicle wise, just started a Harrier too, shame it wasn't a 72nd jet GB :smiling3:

F

Fenlander

Don't forget you can use 1:72 or 1:76 scale, it is just a bit of fun.

G

Greg147

Sunday's over, time for an update.

Here's where I've got to so far. Wheels and tracks are drying, and I need to add some more tools/cargo things. The base paint job is done, with extras like the machinegun and tools in need of colouring. Then I need to roughen up the damaged side a little.

I also did some work on the diorama base. It's actually more hilly than it appears in this pic:

The muddy bit in the background will be a protected AT position, with these figures manning the defenses:

I intend to make it look as if the Stuart was part of a much larger attack, in which the US failed to spot the concealed Japanese positions. By the time the enemy opened fire, it was too late to turn back, hence the Stuart making a break to leave the killing zone, getting taken out as it passed the enplacement. That's the plan, anyway.

F

Fenlander

The Stuart looks very nice Greg, this is going to be an interesting one.

B

Bunkerbarge

Interesting story line, a degree of tension in a diorama makes for a good scene and captures interest.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Greg

The Stuart looks excellent I'm impressed with the light and shade you've managed to get into the finish. Your choice of theatre is also a refreshing change from the more usual Western European Dios.

I'm looking forward to this and, if the start you've made is anything to go by, I think it will turn out to be a cracker.

All the best

Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi greg , looks a great little kit to me , a lot of these so called experts who rubbish kits online take things far too seriously, its supposed to be a fun leisure hobby!Ive always liked the look of the stuart, ever since i made the tamiya 1/35 as a kid , its just so cute (if you could ever call a tank cute!!!) Its looking excellent so far, looking forward to seeing it all shot up on the base, cheers tony

G

Greg147

Thanks for the comments guys. I think I've reached the only fustrating part so far; the tracks. It's difficult to get this type on anyway, but with this kit you're in danger of damaging the wheels if you pull them in the wrong position. Fortuantely, I've only got to do one side; the other I'm going to have partially blown off. I just hope I can hide the linking point well enough; I've had a good feeling about this kit so far. ;)