Depth charged, shot at, rammed and sunk!...A U boat's fate.

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
Here are the pictures of my finished wreck of U 444. She was sunk off the West Coast of Ireland in March 1943. I took the photos at dusk, which gave them a sort of grainy, misty look, which I think makes them look all the more spooky.....
I had thought of removing some of the deck plates, but decided to leave well alone and quit whilst I was ahead!

I have tried to modelled her as I would imagine she might look like deep down in the North Atlantic where very little marine life would be present, deteriation was slow and resting in pitch black silence for 70 odd years.

When along trundles an R.O.V........

View attachment 119220

View attachment 119221

View attachment 119222

View attachment 119223

View attachment 119224

View attachment 119225

View attachment 119226

View attachment 119227

View attachment 119228

View attachment 119229

View attachment 119230

View attachment 119231

View attachment 119232

View attachment 119233

View attachment 119234

I hope you approve of my stab at a deepdown wreck. It's been fun trying to get the model something like I imagine she would look like.

Thanks for looking at the rather too many pictures......

There is a brief build thread for this.

All comments and suggestions which I could incorporate into the next one (if there will be) would be gratefully received.

Cheers all,

Ron
I think you have copied some pictures from an underwater research channel. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Gregg

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I dig the filtered photo's to mimic photographs at depth - really cool effect!!:cool:

Well captured!! :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks everyone...

No filters Gavin, just good old blue and white household emulsion paint mixed to a shade that suited, then sloshed on the model with a 1" paint brush.

Cheers,

Ron

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
looks amazing bud truly just like of a documentary

First Name
Richard
Great job Ron

did you use a blue filter to make the pictures? oops got the anwser thanks

Again great job

C

Caledonia

Great build Ron, below is a photo of U352 off North Carolina in shallow water, comparing this with your one only confirms you were spot on with the colours. Derek

View attachment 109050

U352.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks again for all the great comments on my sub build.

Derek, thank you for posting the picture of U352. I had a look at her career....For anyone interested, she only survived for 8 months before being sunk by depth charges in May 1942. 15 submariners were lost.

Found in 1975, the wreck is a German war grave.

I had always presumed a wreck at only 100ft down would have had a bit more 'growth' on it. Perhaps my sub colour should have had some black added, as I wanted her to appear much deeper and darker. There is a cracking shot of U352's other side with the hull rotted away. This was something I was going to do, but now I've seen the images, I'm going to have a crack at it.

Thanks again chaps and to you to Derek for planting the seed!

C

Caledonia

Here is an idea for you Ron if you have deep pockets, modules of U-Boat compartments, one or two might be useful if you want to show the pressure hull breached. Derek

http://www.cmkkits.com/en/ships/index.php?from=20

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
They look superb, but the full interior hull sets would set me back around £450!

Let me know how I would explain that amount gone from my pocket money!

C

Caledonia

\ said:
They look superb, but the full interior hull sets would set me back around £450!
Let me know how I would explain that amount gone from my pocket money!
As I said Ron one or two Items might be good, the bow section at the torpedo compartment is a regular failure point for example. Anyway just to let you know these modules exist. Derek

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
As I said Ron one or two Items might be good, the bow section at the torpedo compartment is a regular failure point for example. Anyway just to let you know these modules exist. Derek
They are often on E-Bay, & can sometimes be purchased far cheaper as prospective builders change plans.

I recently just missed out on the mine layer conversion that went for about a tenner!

Gregg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Apologies Ron matey . I've only just seen this one , it was posted up while I was on me jollies ! Absolutely fantastic work , totally realistic and extremely skilfully done not to mention perfectly photographed . Can't wait to see what you come up with next! Cheers mucker , Tony

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Great looking wreck Ron with great pictures top work alround mate