Dilemma time.

0ne48thtel

As a lot of you will know I currently have a famo on the bench with a view to putting it on a dio. I have seen them built all hooked up with a load on but very few of them being loaded unloaded. So my dilemma is this I am wanting to do it being unloaded at a field workshop so have plans to build a barn/country workshop. I am not sure though what to have the floor made of.

Do I?

1. Leave it as dirt

2. have it as concrete

3. cobble it

I am going to make the building out of wood with a slate roof but am stuck with the above.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received to help with this dilemma. I should add this dio is being done on two boards so hey can be stand alone pieces if needed.

Last edited:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I think if it is going in front of like a shed,it would most likely be cobble stones,leading to a path or,to a dirt road,

all depending on were,as some farm building would still only have dirt,in front, ;)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I reckon any of the three options would be ok terry. I suppose it depends on what the building ends up as - if its more like a barn then i would say a dirt floor with straw on it but if its a workshop with a tiled roof then perhaps a cobbled or concrete floor might be more suitable . Hope this helps , cheers tony

First Name
Jimbob
Like the others it really depends on where your basing the diorama if its northern France most definetly dirt inside the barn and most probably cobbles outside hope this helps

Jim

F

Fenlander

I would go with cobbled track and compacted earth inside as said above.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I would have it look like a solid white clean floor, so it just looks like plastycard. Even I could make that.

Seriously though I would have it compacted dirt floor for a barn with straw

N

noble

If its a barn look for pics online but I would say wood, especially if it is going to contain heavy machinery.

Scott

0ne48thtel

Thanks for the help folks I am going for a cobble floor (think it is going to take a while).

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Thanks for the help folks I am going for a cobble floor (think it is going to take a while).
How about the A4 sheets of plastic card that railway modellers use Terry , i know they do ones with roof tiles embossed on , maybe they do a cobbles one too , might be quicker than making all the cobbles individually!

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Jimbob
Skaters plastcard do a sheet of o gauge cobbles this would only slightly under scale which could be disguised with clutter, straw etc or if your really masochistic you could always roll out days modelling clay and do them freehand!

Jim

F

Fenlander

Now wrong with a pack of split lentils from the supermarket. Works well for round cobbles just glue them flat side down and then a grout.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I would do Grahams way or jim,s as I do all my as single stones,but would be faster,

roll out the clay to about 6mm ,in high,then cut in strips of about 7mm,width,

then a length of 9mm ,as this is only thin will dry fast,or put in the oven for a bit,once dry

put in a container and shake it about for a bit to chip the edgers,and your done,

hope this helps, ;)

Dustbin

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Will the Famo be getting unloaded inside or outside the building ? The reason I ask is because of the available light inside may make the floor virtually invisible and will then mean the type of floor immaterial ! You could always go for some interior lighting as well

Paul