Divers Boat Scratch Build

S

Sky Raider

Well guys as some of you who know me well will have noticed I haven't been around for almost 12 months now. This goes back to when I was made redundant in November and I gave up on building amongst other things.

I did find a new job in March and have finally got myself back into the hobby again. So here for your entertainment is my first project in months.

I have decided that I want to build a fast response divers boat. Having searched the market for a long time with no result I have decided to scratch build my own version. As with all of my projects this is going to take a while and I hope that you all like it. Pull up a chair and enjoy.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Day 1

You will see that I have cheated a little here and purchased the hull rather than make one. This was quicker than making a mould and fibre glassing, it was defiantly quicker and cheaper this way. I found a company on the net and the hull was an amazing £25.00.

The first job was to make a jig for the inflatable sides that fit on top of the hull.

View attachment 88499

View attachment 88500

View attachment 88501

View attachment 88502

View attachment 88505

Cheers

AndyView attachment 88503

View attachment 88504

Day 1 2.JPG

Day 1 3.JPG

Day 1 4.JPG

Day 1 5.JPG

Day 1 6.JPG

Day 1 7.JPG

Day 1.JPG

S

Sky Raider

Day 2

I needed to come up with something to simulate the inflatable sides on the craft and after much thought I decided to use 50mm down pipe from that well known DIY store. These needed to be formed to shape and were heated using a heat gun and bent around the jig. Both of these have been filled with sand to assist in the forming of the curves. I'm not too worried about any creases or kinks as these would add to the detail one I have applied the black heat shrink to give them the rubber look. I have the first one done, now onto the second one.

View attachment 88506

View attachment 88507

View attachment 88508

View attachment 88509

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 88510

View attachment 88511

Day 2 1.JPG

Day 2 2.JPG

Day 2 3.JPG

Day 2 4.JPG

Day 2.JPG

Day 2 1.JPG

Last edited:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Good to see you back and building Andy. Glad the work situation has worked out for you.

Look forward to seeing this project develop. Looks great so far!

S

Sky Raider

Hi Joe, thanks for the warm welcome, I must say I have missed all the old faces and probably some reunions to.

Andy

T

treyzx10r

Andy welcome back,congrats on the new Gig ! So glad to see you back and building again ,you've been missed! The new project is coming along nicely. I gotta ask did you ever get the B-25 in the air? cheers Trey

P

Polux

Welcome back Andy ;) I'm glad to know all is ok!!

That's a very interesting and original project, so I have my chair ready :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
HI Andy , yes we did wonder where you had got to, all clear now. Good to hear youve got a job again and things are taking a turn for the better -including getting back into building. The latest project looks fantastic , a complete scratchbuild ,should be a fascinating watch. Loving the downpipe inflatable sections, great to see you back mate , cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good to read you're sorted job wise Andy and even better to see you working your boat magic.

I'm sure the others are glad to be having a regular boat 'fix' from the maestro...I know I am!

I've bought 6 front row seats so I can stretch out whilst I watch the build.

Bring it on.....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome back!

Glad to learn all is well again.

Looking forwards to thiss one.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice to see you back mate

Will watch this if it's anything like your other builds it should be an outstanding build

C

Caledonia

Hi Andy welcome back. Are you doing a Gemini or Zodiac, In case you don't have details, you will find Diver surface demand panel details here. http://www.divexglobal.com/products-and-services look up P for panels.

Was involved in Saturation Diving Systems a number of years ago and we used Gemini in the early days for shallow diving but I think it is outlawed now for offshore commercial Diving, they use wet bells now. Cheers Derek

Last edited:
S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Andy welcome back,congrats on the new Gig ! So glad to see you back and building again ,you've been missed! The new project is coming along nicely. I gotta ask did you ever get the B-25 in the air? cheers Trey
Hi Trey,

Thanks for the warm welcome mate. I have missed you all to. It sure is good to be back at it and amongst you fine fellows. The B25 is flying mate but not by me. I put it in the model shop to make room for the SE5a and it was sold to a guy who fell in love with it. The P47 and the SE5a still haven't flown as yet. The Imara, Hunter and the Waveney Scout are still in dry docks. The Hunter is in the model shop up for sale, again to make room. The other two I will sail some time I assure you.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Welcome back Andy ;) I'm glad to know all is ok!!That's a very interesting and original project, so I have my chair ready :smiling3:
Hi Polux, thank you to for the warm welcome. Keep hold of that seat mate this is going to be interesting.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
HI Andy , yes we did wonder where you had got to, all clear now. Good to hear youve got a job again and things are taking a turn for the better -including getting back into building. The latest project looks fantastic , a complete scratchbuild ,should be a fascinating watch. Loving the downpipe inflatable sections, great to see you back mate , cheers tony
Hi Tony, Thanks mate. You are all making me feel worse for leaving... never mind im back now. Glad you like this one. there are lots to see as usual as we progress and I have some nice touches like the high powered outboard motor etc. All will be revealed in good time.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Good to read you're sorted job wise Andy and even better to see you working your boat magic.I'm sure the others are glad to be having a regular boat 'fix' from the maestro...I know I am!

I've bought 6 front row seats so I can stretch out whilst I watch the build.

Bring it on.....
Lol, how's my old mate getting on. I'm glad the gang are all here and especially my main man. Sure have missed you all !!! Good to have you in the front row Ron.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Welcome back!Glad to learn all is well again.

Looking forwards to thiss one.
Hi Ian,

Thanks mate glad your on-board with the rest of the gang.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Nice to see you back mateWill watch this if it's anything like your other builds it should be an outstanding build
Thanks Ian, your too kind mate. I will do my best to put on a great show for you all.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
I'll be watching this. Good start
Cheers Graham. The jaw dropping stuff is scheduled along with the drooling sessions as usual lol.

Cheers

Andy