Doug's Airfix 1/72 Gladiator II (Finnish)

D

Doug Hughes

Here's my latest. It's been a long time in the building, though holidays have accounted for some of that time. It's the standard Airfix 1/72 Mk.II, though I've added seatbelts, and a gun sight (all but invisible), and replaced the very thick folded-down cockpit side piece with one made from plastic sheet and strip - the original looks like a piece of Tiger tank armour. The aerial mast arrangement is slightly different too.

The markings are as per an SBS sheet I picked up at Cosford in April. I opted for the simple scheme of white/black/silver/yellow/light earth/light green/dark earth/dark green(!) That was a lot of masking and we can expect to see a significant upturn in sales of white tack and Tamiya tape this year. The decals themselves stick very well, but are not really dense enough in colour. My references show this plane with wheels, but I'm afraid I couldn't resist the skis, and reckoned it was probably fitted with skis at some time. If I'm wrong, please don't disillusion me.

I started off rigging the plane with Uschi elastic thread and superglue, but had to stop before I'd finished one wire, as the air had mysteriously turned blue and I couldn't see any more. If anyone has a tried and trusted method of using this, I'd love to know it. The main problem was when gluing the second end having fixed the first - keeping my hand still enough to hold it until the glue dried, thus stopping it 'pinging' off and sticking itself somewhere else. Some accelerator might have helped, but with only two hands, I didn't fancy my chances. In the end, just to get the thing finished, I opted for stretched sprue and PVA glue - somewhat overscale and not the best colour, but better than nothing. If there's another biplane project, I'll think more carefully about rigging during the build - this might be better than leaving it all to the end.

Attachments

• P1010139.JPG
    P1010139.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 31
  • P1010140.JPG
    P1010140.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 28
  • P1010141.JPG
    P1010141.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 28
  • P1010142.JPG
    P1010142.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010143.JPG
    P1010143.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 26
  • P1010144.JPG
    P1010144.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010145.JPG
    P1010145.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 27

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Great build there Doug love the camo scheme and markings. Well done mate.
Cheers john

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Really Nice. I think the rigging looks great - in 1/72 that is certainly challenging. I think your assessment of the CA/Uschi thread is probably correct. What was probably needed was a touch of CA on the point to be glued, stretch the thread to it, touch with the accelerator and wait only a few moments (if you breath on it it works even faster).

That said, your finished Finnish Gladiator (see what I did there) is a quality build and the stretch sprue looks excellent

Cheers
P

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
You've done a great job Doug. I could never produce enough stretched sprue the same diameter to rig an aircraft as you have done here.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I really like the finish you've achieved on your Gladiator Doug, nicely done.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I really like the finish you've achieved on your Gladiator Doug, nicely done.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Love it doug , the rigging and finnish scheme look great, and it looks cosy with its carpet slippers on! I hear you with the rigging though , its a job i dont enjoy and often have the same problems with the ends not sticking and having to re do them . Cheers tony

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Nice build Doug, and nice to see a different scheme.
Rigging is what puts me off biplanes.