1:35 Tamiya 35009 (1971) Panzer II F grey

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Hi everyone!

I finally completed this little baby, which was something I took on for fun, thinking I wanted the experience of working with this very old Tamiya kit, and see how the detail level is once completed. (One day, it'll have the company of a Dragon 1:35 kit with interior.)

I used conventional techniques, such as sponge chipping, dark grey wash of rivets and indentations, pigments for mud and soot, etc.

I also tried hairspray chipping for the first time, on the jack, but it did not chip as much as I had hoped. Maybe I waited too long before chipping, maybe I used too much overlay acrylic spray paint (Army Painter - maybe it is too strong for this?). I have no idea! Any advice would be appreciated!

On the whole, I am myself very satisfied with the look I achieved, as I feel it shows me that I have progressed in the weathering department, even if it may not be comparatively top tier or anything like that. That's not a problem for most of us, I think. As long as we enjoy ourselves... :smiling:

I had great fun both building, painting, and weathering it, and I found these old molds without any flash that I remember, and pretty much with only the expected mold lines on round surfaces. A pleasure, and a great little kit for its age! I would recommend it to anyone needing an easy build with around 50 - 100 parts.

One caveat emptor: The vinyl tracks are too short to create any sag whatsoever, and require heavy amounts of the right kind of glue. I used cyanoacrylate, which is also for resin, and had to apply about three times before it held the vinyl together when stretched hard around the wheels. Since the panzer II does not have side skirts, the lack of sag will be visible. From what I understand, this means the tank should only be built OOB as a practically new vehicle where the tracks are still stiff, not sagging, if you want to achieve optimal realism.

Pictures below.

Constructive comments and criticism always welcome - let me know what you think I could improve on my next tank build, would you? (I do not use oils or enamels, only acrylics.)

Happy modelling to you all!

IMG_0347.JPGIMG_0348.JPGIMG_0349.JPGIMG_0350.JPGIMG_0351.JPGIMG_0352.JPGIMG_0354.JPGIMG_0355.JPGIMG_0356.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
What a GREAT looking model Christian. I think the weather effect and Chipping is superb. A really well done piece.:thumb2:
Cheers. Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Christian.
Agree with Rick.
If your not happy with the hair spray have you could think of ...s-l640.jpg41635-med.jpg
I tried the hair spray, bit unpredictable, so now use these, there are other makes available.
I'm just a happy user.:smiling2:
I'm not knocking the hair spray method, but it takes time to master, these products take the guess work away.
John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
This was the first model I ever did exactly three years ago and you have done a damn site better job than I ever did. When I look at kits to do now I am heavily influenced by the after market tracks or Friuls available as you cant beat a nice bit of track sag:smiling5:

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Thanks, guys! It is very encouraging :smiling3:

I will probably check out the acrylic Mig products referred to by you, John. They look interesting, and I am wondering how they work.