Dragon Panther II in 1:35

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
the tracks turned out great,will be looking forward to seeing some paint on this one soon, :D

S

Stands24

Working on the side skirt holders.

kbpFOBp.jpg

Then I sliced myself trying to bend the parts. :/

ikUyamN.jpg

PzXr1xD.jpg

After I attached the first bar, I realized it would be a huge pain in the anus to attach each bar without any sort of support. SO, I whipped out the styrene sheet! I cut off little tabs and cemented them to the hull, so they can provide a sort of platform to set the bar on to hold it in place while the super glue is applied.

G6kV53q.jpg

Worked like a charm!!

VKJLyOb.jpg
khPTtQs.jpg

More to come. c:

S

Stands24

Here is where I am at right now.

jBTBcnq.jpg

efqYMSL.jpg

However one of the hooks for the bars on the right side has disappeared into thin air without a trace. I have searched my entire room and it's literally gone. I don't know how. I am quite disappointed but I'll try my best to scratch build another hook with my Evergreen sheet.

S

Stands24

Holy Henschel... I am so utterly blind. I found the hook. Still attached to the fret. Lord help me.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice work with this Ryan ,looking good, :D

S

Stands24

Done with the bars. Now will try to add the skirts themselves.

fSFcfE1.jpg

FyyTtO4.jpg

I ran into a problem on the rear hooks. They are too close together so changing them around will take some time...

S

Stands24

This is current progress. The bars are done.

fSFcfE1.jpg

FyyTtO4.jpg

HOWEVER... After test fitting the side skirts, it turns out the hooks are in the wrong positions. I will have to move most of them up. Tearing off the lower parts from the super glue and stuff... Sigh... This will take a while guys, sorry.

Last edited:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
this is looking so good, Ryan ,and that dose happen with the holders some times, >:sad: :D

S

Stands24

Alright, FINALLY figured out the problem with the side skirts!! I bought the wrong set from Aber; they have two for the same tanks... I had to remove the super glue on the hooks I altered to accomodate my first set of skirts, and move them back into their original positions. Tedious, tedious...

4xxQlX1.jpg

Next came a test fit of the skirts on one side. PERFECT!

JSxTc5D.jpg

Then it was time to beat them up a bit and permanently attach them.

zoaUY7w.jpg

cGB1rCR.jpg

0xnrsEc.jpg

S0SxyCK.jpg

I'm so happy with them. They add a great sense of completion and it makes the tank look more full!

Next I suppose I will prime the tank and begin painting procedures. However, I'm not sure how to paint it... Should I do ambush scheme? A random tricolor hard-edge/soft/edge? What do y'all think? Personally I think a tricolor octopus would be cool but I dunno if that ever existed. Will consult a friend.

D

dubster72

As the tank itself never existed, the choice of camo scheme is totally up to you! How about a digital scheme? I've always fancied doing one on a Heer '46 vehicle myself.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good,Ryan,nice work so far,;)

S

steve5

really nice ryan , my , but their is a lot of P E in this kit ,and you are doing a great job of it ,

B

Builder

That is a beast of a kit there Ryan. Nice work on the side skirts there.

S

Stands24

Thanks you guys!! :D The comments mean a lot as a beginning modeler (somewhat). Even though I've finished a couple and worked on building several more, I feel like a puppy compared to a dog. Even if the puppy is fully grown in size, it has yet to mature and reach "doghood." ;)

I got a small update. I primed everything, but with difficulty. I have to prime outside because my brother doesn't want it in the house (fair enough) and the garage is full. It was very windy yesterday thanks to a big storm that rolled in. I was in the middle of priming when it began to drizzle rain!! Some drops got on the wet primer, forming bubbles and whatnot. Even the parts that weren't rained on had bubbles or bumps, probably due to the wind or humidity. This is Florida after all. :eek:

Everything all together.

cs0CxJd.jpg

Here is a close up on the areas I had to sand down due to bumps and bubbles. Thankfully the side skirts didn't have much wrong with them in the way of bubbles.

G5t7e1A.jpg

seZfRBT.jpg

The texture issues that persisted will be eliminated by the time I paint everything, I think. The gun barrel had a massive buildup on the end that has been nicely sanded down too, but it's hard to see in pictures because of the curvature of the barrel and the lighting.

So now my plans for camo schemes... I've decided to go with an octopus scheme, with a base coat of black to darken all the colors I will put on top. Here's my logic behind this: The octopus pattern was slated to be introduced in June of 1945. However only ONE vehicle was ever painted with it by war's end, that being the famous King Tiger of Kassel. It was built with parts presumably lying around the factory, and sent out to defend that very factory. Images are on Google, just search "Kassel King Tiger" if you aren't familiar with that tank.

Anyways, since Panther IIs "would" have gone into production in late 1945 or early 1946, it makes sense that this one be painted in octopus camo. HOWEVER, mine will differ from the Kassel KT in that I will paint it in a tricolor octopus pattern, not the bicolor as seen in the photos of that tank. I think I'll go with green base coat, then stripes/curves of yellow and red-brown, with green circles. I had two other ideas on how to make it a tricolor scheme, but ask if you want to hear them. c:

That's all for now, I will work on this as much as I can! I LOVE this tank! :p:cool:

S

Stands24

@steve5 Thanks bud! I felt like I did a messy job with the PE for the engine deck, as there is dried super glue residue everywhere! ): But upon getting to the side skirts and supports, I figured out how to apply them neatly! :D

@Builder Thanks man! ^_^ I had to be real careful with those hooks since they are so small. One part of a hook actually snapped off and I lost it, so I had to be extra careful. As for the skirts themselves, I hope I don't accidentally break them off! That would be a disaster. But true to life, as they were known to be flimsy and easily knocked off!

@monica Thanks Moni! Always a pleasure seeing you here. I think you'll like the camk I planned!

@dubster72 I don't think I'm anywhere near skilled enough for a digital camo yet, haha!

@Polux @col68 Thank you! ^_^

S

Stands24

Alright guys, here is a picture I made from three images from Google. I used it to test my four variations of octopus camo. Only the bicolor one was used in the war, but I wanted a tricolor since the bicolor looks too bland for me lol.

I feel kind of odd/special for creating a variation on a real-life camo to predict what they might have actually used as the war progressed (had it not ended in May 1945 in Europe). You know what I mean? Just a strange feeling, like I'm going back to that time and writing my own bit of history.

Sorry for the poor quality of the image editing, I was hurrying. xD The key explaining each variation is below the image. Please post your votes! I personally like 4 and 1.

mwqB92b.jpg

1: Green base
yellow stripes/curves
red-brown circles

2: Bicolor

3: Green base
yellow & red-brown stripes/curves
green circles

4: Green base
Yellow & red-brown stripes/curves
Yellow circles in red-brown areas, red-brown circles in yellow areas

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
that's a bit of a hard one,Ryan,I tend to go for 4,:rolleyes:

D

dubster72

I'd go for no. 1 Ryan. On 3 & 4 the red-brown seems to dominate too much.