Dragon's Panther A Late, Normandy (3. Panzerkompanie I/SS-PzRgt 12)

A

Armorguy

Hello friends, this one was finished recently but I like to share with you how things went during build, painting and weathering stages.

This is the kitbox art :
1.jpg
As most modelers do, I clean up the wheels first.
2.JPG
The Atak Zimmerit set is very complete but I want to create battle damaged Zimmerit. Magic Sculp is perfect for this job.
3.JPG
The Atak Zimmerit looks great once glued on. I used CA glue. It's fragile and it needs to be cut loose from the sheet with a sharp blade.
5.jpg
The front armor plate is here completed with the product.
7.jpg
The lower and upper hull glued together, now it can be dressed up.
8.jpg
I use the kit parts, no aftermarket bling is involved. Adequate cleaning is, in my opinion, the key for effective paintwork and weathering.
10.JPG
Slowly it starts to look like a Panther...the wheels and Schürzen (skirts) are dryfit. The bling you see are photo etched kit parts.
11.JPG
The turret looks impressive with the Zimmerit on.
12.JPG
Friul tracks are my favourite after market tracks, they come in handy for a perfect sag. Don't mind the fuel drums.
13.JPG
Now it's ready for the airbrush !
15.jpg
I prefer to paint the wheels black first, I then mask the rubber parts and spray on different shades of dark yellow.
17.JPG
I like to start with dark shades and to build up lighter mists of paint. It's a bit time consuming but I don't want to mess up this important part of the paintwork.
19.jpg
It still looks a bit pale. Richer semi transparent thin mists of yellow will follow. It's a patient job but big fun. In fact I just love painting above building.
24.jpg

26.jpg
A big step forward then...the camouflage is on now. Tamiya Clear is applied and the decals are on (also protected by a layer of Clear).
27.jpg
Only one wash (ultramarine blue + burnt umber) makes a big difference and it's so easily done with brushes, cotton swabs and tissue.
32.jpg
I apply the same wash onto the other parts. Btw I mask my wheels with the orange thing you see in the right corner below.
34.jpg
I use Humbrol enamels to paint the tools, spare tracks...I finish them with pigments dabbed in to create rusty surfaces and metal effects.
37.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Guy,
Many thanks for showing your build and paintwork, it's always interesting seeing how different modellers build and finish their models
regards Jim

A

Armorguy

Thank you Jim, that's why I like active modeling sites so much, we can learn everything from eachother.

These images show the turret and rear deck after a series of washes, filters and dust pigments.
38.jpg
The fuel and oil spills and grease stains are easily made in a dusty surface created with pigments.
39.jpg
Micro painting makes things look more interesting and I keep doing this until I'm completely satisfied, I just KEEP fiddling around.
42.jpg
The skirts need to be carefully detailed.

45.jpg
47.jpg

51.jpg
The 34mg is an after market one.
54.jpg
Guys, next time I'll describe in detail how I finish and weather things. If you have a question please ask.

Best regards ! AG.

Last edited by a moderator:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Lovely work, that’s an impressive finish ...and some great photos.
Do you use a photo booth or dedicated lighting?
Si

First Name
Wouter
Ha, good to see the kittycat appear here Guy. Lovely to see the W.I.P. again too!

Cheers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Guy
Very interesting and a great Tiger. Good that you have mixed the home made zimm with the Atak stuff and got such a fine result.
Jim

A

Armorguy

Richard, Jim, Wouter, Scottie, Steve, Si, thank you guys.

Si, I'd like to purchase a photo booth soon. Most of these photos however were made with bright daylight with the tank placed on a white paper sheet.

First Name
Lee
Nice looking kitty you have there AG. Weathering nice subtle.

Regards Lee

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great work,Guy ,real like,how your done this one,and the added detail,always helps a lot with ,theirs,build,
love it :smiling::thumb2:

E

Evan James

Guy it's a beautiful model, made with professional skills, the tones you've chosen are in scale and very realistic. I love it.
ev