Dreadnought

• Thread starter Deleted member 5496
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5496

Great name from the Royal Navies early last century battleship. Dreadnought the name of the first of the battleship line to be given to the first of the Royal Navies new submarines.

A bit bizarre. Dreadnought strove to keep herself above the waves. The new Dreadnought below in the depths.

Laurie

First Name
Gwyn
Wasn't the navies first nuclear sub which was built by the americans called Dreadnaught?

D

dubster72

Wasn't the navies first nuclear sub which was built by the americans called Dreadnaught?

It was called Dreadnaught, although it was built here by Vickers. The US link is that it used an American nuclear reactor.

D

Deleted member 5496

Actually.

Dreadnaught USA, an experimental rock band based in New Hampshire, USA .

Sorry.

Laurie

Look at that it rhymes

Sorry Laurie

D

Deleted member 5496

Bit of info. Did not realize all of this.

The MoD said nine Navy vessels had previously been named Dreadnought.

Perhaps the most famous was HMS Dreadnought, commissioned in 1906, which transformed naval warfare.

The name became used at the time to describe a new era of warship design.

Other Dreadnoughts included one that sailed with Sir Francis Drake to battle the Spanish Armada in 1588, and another that was present with Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.

Britain's first nuclear-powered submarine, launched 56 years ago, also shared the name.

Laurie

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
So there you go Laurie! Your entry for next year's 'Battleship GB'!

D

Deleted member 5496

So there you go Laurie! Your entry for next year's 'Battleship GB'!

Er no Dave despite my years Dreadnoughts were during my Father's time. At the moment I am well seated in Afghanistan (model wise) and expect another 2 years there.

Laurie