E Boat, Airfix, 1/72

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
ive only ever built a couple of floaty boaty things in my times, just not my thing......and i think its cos of the scales involved...to me 1/72 is pretty small so when you start talking in terms of 1/400 or smaller i struggle, just too small in my mind lol

so im going to be doing this for a WW2 ship GB elsewhere.............1/72 German E Boat.....for those that done know they were attack boats.......torpedos and mine laying

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-boat

kit is by airfix and i got it in their black friday sale for not a lot of money.......was a 'new tool' back in 1975 and is @450mm/nearly 18 inches long..........ive had to check to make sure this fits in my display case cos its so big!!

View attachment 102073

View attachment 102074

View attachment 102075

View attachment 102076

View attachment 102077

View attachment 102078

View attachment 102079

View attachment 102080

2cy2n2f.jpg

15yt8pt.jpg

21e21j4.jpg

2k2592.jpg

2e1si6c.jpg

zn252g.jpg

fneejn.jpg

14vihd0.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Goodness me that will be rather large at 1/72. Will watch with interest...

D

Dave Garrett

can i ask how deep and how wide is the hull when complete as it would go well next to my corvette in the local model boat lake

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
can i ask how deep and how wide is the hull when complete as it would go well next to my corvette in the local model boat lake
i will let you know when its at the stage i can measure it ;)

D

Dave Garrett

thank you the reason i ask is because i am in the middle of doing a working model 1:72 corvette and if the hull is big enough i might consider getting that kit and making that a working model

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
made a little progress...........the hull is a it of a pain since as well as the two halves and the blunt end theres also the hull lower cos you get the option of doing it as a waterline kit.................i added some sprue as crossmembers to add a bit of strength.....ive also done some filling, sanding and a waft of primer to see where i need to do some more since i took the pics

thats a 6 inch ruler so you can see how big this will be......will only just fit in my display cabinets

View attachment 102910

View attachment 102911

34j7u4o.jpg

mrzerq.jpg

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
im afraid that this one is on hold for a while

my heart just isnt in it at the moment.....all ive managed to do is glue four bits together and a bit of filling.....the last week i havnt sat at the bench once, just cant get motivated and i think its the subject matter. ive always wanted to build one of these but i know if i try and force it i shall bugger it up.....and that would be a waste

a couple of my last few builds have not come out as i would have liked, ive lost a bit of confidance, i need to do something easy and do-able......and this isnt it......so im going box it up and return again some time later on

D

Dave Garrett

hope you get back into it soon i get like that from time to time be a shame to quit for good but hope you find something else to fill the gap

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
hope you find something else to fill the gap
already on the bench lol

it really is a case of going back to something simple with a subject im interested in

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Happens to us all. Look forward to seeing the E-Boat built one day here.