Eduard 1:48 Lysander Profipack

R

Rupert Carss

Hello chaps,
I've been dying to have a go at this kit for ages.
The pack is a quality product and great value at around 25 pounds. It's a Profipack so it's got resin, PE and even some film parts (?!). The plastic is crisp and detail is sharp although large pieces like wing and fuselage do not have locator pins so gentlemen, careful with that positioning.
5 decal options available here and the decals are superb.
Well, pass me the pliers, it's time to crack on!20171029_110753.jpg

Attachments

• 20171029_110858.jpg
    20171029_110858.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 14
R

Rupert Carss

PE parts looking good.

Attachments

• 20171029_111040.jpg
    20171029_111040.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 12
R

Rupert Carss

Going for this variant...

Attachments

• 20171029_111105.jpg
    20171029_111105.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 15

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Love this aeroplane, if interested on the history of the plane, current edition of fly past has a writeup and photos on it.

Looking forward to seeing this kit built

R

Rupert Carss

The cockpit cage is a bit fiddly. Read the instructions VERY carefully then do it in a slightly different order to allow you to paint all the interior green bits first. Fuel tanks and seats can be added later.

Engine requires patience as the cylinders are all separate. Also a little scratchwork for the vertical rods on the cylinders. A fair bit of sanding also needed to fit the engine into the cowling.

R

Rupert Carss

Engine!
Sprayed with Revell silver which mixes great with Vallejo thinner and shoots fantastically for a metallic acrylic. Engine bell painted with mid grey and once dried, washed with thinned Vallejo black. Will try and darken down some of the plumbing and another oil and spirit wash with black brown at later stage...20171029_162812.jpg

R

Rupert Carss

Cockpit section.
You just gotta love the PE seatbelts. They just make the office pop. Not much in the way of weathering, just a little bit of a mettalic drybrush here and there to suggest a little bit of wear.
I have dry fitted this section to the fuselage and there will be some sanding to do to get a good fit. However, this level of detail in a kit invites one to have an open canopy. 20171029_190548.jpg

T

Tony

This is taking shape very quickly.

Agree with you those seatbelts - they really do add some nice detail to this area.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A Lysander, lovely. I've built a 1:72 and a 1:32, both a touch on the basic side. This 1:48 is probably the best. Cockpit looks great.

R

Rupert Carss

Thanks guys.
Put a few hours in on it today but going to be busy for a few days now so hopefully will do a bit more later in the week if I can.
The piece that holds the wings on that is part of the cockpit roof is a bugger to get straight!

Colin, I bet the 32 scale model Lizzie looks great. You got pictures?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks guys.
Put a few hours in on it today but going to be busy for a few days now so hopefully will do a bit more later in the week if I can.
The piece that holds the wings on that is part of the cockpit roof is a bugger to get straight!

Colin, I bet the 32 scale model Lizzie looks great. You got pictures?
Sure have, it's a build I posted on this forum some years ago. Like I say, it was a bit basic, but with a 'greenhouse cockpit', I was able to add quite a bit of detail.
Lysander 7.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0525.JPG
    IMG_0525.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 3
R

Rupert Carss

Sure have, it's a build I posted on this forum some years ago. Like I say, it was a bit basic, but with a 'greenhouse cockpit', I was able to add quite a bit of detail.
View attachment 289639
Leading edge slats?
Poseable flaps?

I'm missing out!
Great looking model. I love the subtle shading on the wing ribs and the interior green under the slats. Right up my street.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Leading edge slats?
Poseable flaps?

I'm missing out!
Great looking model. I love the subtle shading on the wing ribs and the interior green under the slats. Right up my street.
The flaps are part of the kit. The slats I had to make. I read that the slats were automatically deployed at low speed, hence, on the ground with the aircraft stationary, they would be deployed.
This was the first time I had sprayed a large area black. I had read to add a touch of red paint to the black, so I did. Mixed it up and it still looked black. So a touch more red. No change, so a bit more red. In the end I gave up adding red to the mix and got on with spraying. My Lysander was purple.......

R

Rupert Carss

The flaps are part of the kit. The slats I had to make. I read that the slats were automatically deployed at low speed, hence, on the ground with the aircraft stationary, they would be deployed.
This was the first time I had sprayed a large area black. I had read to add a touch of red paint to the black, so I did. Mixed it up and it still looked black. So a touch more red. No change, so a bit more red. In the end I gave up adding red to the mix and got on with spraying. My Lysander was purple.......
Yup the autoslats work like that. Just like on a Tiger Moth.
Shame the Eduard kit doesn't have them. That would be the icing on the cake.
I know not of this red black issue of which you speak. Black is like... none more black.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I know not of this red black issue of which you speak. Black is like... none more black
That's because black is considered to be too black. It needs a little something else in it - not as much as I put in it, but just a touch.