Enamels + IPA works?

K

karoliens

Have anyone tried thinning enamels with IPA. Since from now I will be airbrushing mostly vallejo model air paints I thought I should try mixing revell enamels with IPA. I used IPA which is high purity and is intended for electronic repairs.
I read that it definetly should not work with enamels but I have not noticed anything negative except that it dries quite quickly. I used 3:2 ratio and it mixes well.
I even painted small part for my model kit using this concoction.
Why there is opinion that it is not good to use IPA with enamels? What should I have expected using this combo?

First Name
Dave
I use white spirit to thin enamels. Never thought of trying IPA. Ive got 10 litres of the stuff in my garage. So i will give it a go. The quicker drying time could be an advantage over white spirit

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The issue is that most IPA contains water and this is not miscible with the solvents in enamel paints.

I'm assuming by your description that you are using the 99.9% IPA. I've never tried it, but if it works for you, then fine.

I use white spirits or cellulose thinners to thin enamels, drying time is not an issue for me.

Cheers

Steve