Eugen Lorcher's FW190... Anyone Here Built It?

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

I have Revell's 2015 1/32 FW190F-8 waiting in the wings (heh...get it? waiting in the wings...) and I want to paint it in the scheme that Lorcher's plane was in when he made a break for it with his fiance stashed inside. I dig the story, hence my interest in building one.
This will be my first time doing a metal finish and would like to see some pics if possible.
I have asked my friend, Google, but he is being stingy with anything other than some decal sets and some pics of some 1/72 scale toy that was released at some point.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There are a couple of photos in Volume Three of Smith and Creeks's Fw 190 series on page 945. They show the wrecked aircraft with various souvenir hunters posing on it. They don't show anything not to be gleaned from the EagleCals (Jerry Crandall) profile on their decal sheet.
One photograph shows part of the top of the starboard wing. It was camouflaged, but it is impossible to say how.
The wreck has early been used as a target, presumably by bored GIs, a not uncommon occurrence.
Cheers
Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think that the decal sheet is your best bet for how it looked. But the price makes me think you could find the required markings elsewhere. Good looking butcher that.

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Thanks guys.
With my recent renewed interest in aircraft, I found this one and thought it would be fun to do.... and obviously unique!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
aa34316_focke-wulf-fw190a-eugen-lorcher.jpg

This is Corgis diecast version, how they got the colour scheme I have no idea but may give you some ideas.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
For what they are worth, here's a couple of pictures taken post war. I think this is when Lorcher returned to the site, the fellow in the first picture looks a lot like him.

IMG_1845.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG

Here is Lorcher in front of what is supposedly a different aircraft.

08f2bab36598d43f.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Found one ,more image of the aircraft. It shows a straight rather than wavy demarcation to the upper surface camouflage. I'm not convinced that the undersides of the wings are unpainted either.

Black_3_Lorcher.jpg

I believe that the WNr. of Black 3 was 588717, Arado (ARW) built, which you can put on the fin.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Good stuff guys.
Steve, I had read somewhere else that the demarcation on the wings was straight as opposed to wavy. This photo seems to bear that out. So, if the underside was painted, what do you reckon it would be? The usual RLM76? And would it have been just the underside of the wings painted with the underside of the fuselage left metal?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
From what I have read it is only the top/side surfaces that are painted. Lower fuselage and undersides bare betal. Not sure if the underside of the tail wings elevators where painted.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
IF the undersides of the wings were painted they would have been RLM 76. There are a lot of assumptions made about this aircraft.
Cheers
Steve

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Thanks again, volks.
I think I will play it safe and go with the scheme as outlined on decal sets for the sides and upper surfaces, and using convoluted logic, I will go with bare metal underneath and on the sides as illustrated on the decal set. Then, red oxide primer on the tail control surfaces and rudder.