Fenlander's 1/350 Revell Bismarck

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
OK, with the Triumph now, erm, triumphant.... it is time to izzy, wizzy, get back to the bizzy...

With the four 380mm main turrets done as far as I can at the moment it's time to move onto the six 150mm secondary turrets. Obviously smaller than the main turrets, they actually have more photo etch :sad:

First up though, replace the barrels.

View attachment 274069

Then the PE

View attachment 274071

And the result

View attachment 274070

Might be tricky to see but it's there lol.

Based on the time it took me to do these six turrets, I will be in my nineties when this is ready to launch:oops: but as far as the guns are concerned, that is the easy bit done. From now in, it gets tricky:eek:

Those turners and guns look so good ( even if your 90 ) it will look the bees knees.

Keep up the good work

Regards

Robert

F

Fenlander

Hi Graham looked at those barrels ( they look very nice indeed ) will they be a problem with weight if you wabtt I elevate them ( stress on the plastic joints??

I agree with you on the PE it pings and that's it unless you can find it

Regards

Robert
Nooo, it's not that heavy. The guns will be glued in place anyway as they need to be solid to make the blast bags. Most PE that pings will only turn up at all after the model is finished;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice work G man. Those brass barrels do look good.
As for the time factor. Relax we got a whole year .

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice work,Graham,do like the brass barrels,make a very big different,;)

F

Fenlander

After calling it a day yesterday, I went back to look at the PE I had tried to fold and fit, really small parts with unclear instructions. While looking at it, I considered it a featureless mess so the offending parts were removed.

Moving on, and to stop myself revisiting bits of PE not yet attached that really would add nothing, I decided to put these heavier guns into primer and then archive them ready for painting.

First job to make spray mounts for them.
DSC_0129.JPG

Then a coat of grey Stynylrez primer
DSC_0130.JPG

I als said that I would not be using the wooden deck. Well, after playing about with it I may have changed my mind. Big issue for me is that a lot has to be cut off the plastic deck to fit it. This means silly amounts of brass to put that detail back on so the jury is still out on this but, I have to admit, it does look good.
DSC_0131.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This means silly amounts of brass to put that detail back on so the jury is still out on this but, I have to admit, it does look good.
Think long and hard before committing to those Graham. AS you point out a lot of cutting bits off only to replace them with brass, which you love so dearly. Read the first sentence of your last post again....lol
I think some of the PE on mine is stupidly small and thats 1/200.

F

Fenlander

Think long and hard before committing to those Graham. AS you point out a lot of cutting bits off only to replace them with brass, which you love so dearly. Read the first sentence of your last post again....lol
I think some of the PE on mine is stupidly small and thats 1/200.

Mmmmm, I know.... I think people get the wrong idea about scale and the size of PE. Yes, the same part such as a catapult or crane will be smaller on a smaller scale but on the bigger scales they just find loads of tiny bits to do in PE that would not be attempted in the smaller scales. There are bits of brass for this thing that are fare smaller and more intricate than I had on the 1/700 Bismarck.

F

Fenlander

What a bugger of a day:mad:

OK, I know I am not firing on all cylinders due to a really heavy bronchial cough and not breathing or sleeping well but I am really struggling with the Bizzy.

This simple conversion of the funnel top took me over two hours. Cutting the plastic away was bad enough but the PE parts would just not stick using superglue even using spray accelerator, the bits just kept falling apart.

So, it has gone from this
DSC_0132.JPG

To this
DSC_0137.JPG

Next up was a short length of railings that need to go round the edge of a sticky out deck piece (I know all the nautical terms) that then slots into the main funnel piece, I assume it is the access deck to the two large searchlights on either side of the funnel. Got it roughly curved to shape, attached one end with a drop of superglue and took dog for a walk to give this anchor point plenty of time to harden. Came back and, after a cup of tea, picked up the part to anchor the next bend ( the idea is to anchor at specific points with superglue then run a bead of thin PVA to seal it). However, as soon as I picked it up, the railings part just fell off, not stuck at all. The PE has been cleaned with alcohol but it still doesn't stick.

Started again, this time using accelerator again, and finally got a single point stuck. Moved to the next point, added superglue held railings in place, sprayed accelerator and held for a few seconds more. Released my grip only to find railings stuck perfectly to my finger but not even touching the plastic. In separating the railing section from my finger, very gently, the railings broke at the 45° bend.

I said two very, very rude words, switched off the desk lamp and just walked away. Really, really peed off now. I have decided that I am definitely losing dexterity in my fingers and that this will be my last major PE project. Definitely will not be using all of it as I have said before but I will be using a lot less than I hoped I would.:sad:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If you CA is really being a pain, try cleaning off the area with IPA I am only to familiar with your problem I used almost 15 minutes to place one tiny little PE part where three legs had to go in locating holes. After that I to walked away!
The thing I hate most about so called super glue is that in our line, it sticks to plastic as and when. Skin on the other hand just has to get close to the darn stuff and it sticks! Grrrrr

G

Graham D

What a bugger of a day:mad:

OK, I know I am not firing on all cylinders due to a really heavy bronchial cough and not breathing or sleeping well but I am really struggling with the Bizzy.

This simple conversion of the funnel top took me over two hours. Cutting the plastic away was bad enough but the PE parts would just not stick using superglue even using spray accelerator, the bits just kept falling apart.

So, it has gone from this
View attachment 274410

To this
View attachment 274409

Next up was a short length of railings that need to go round the edge of a sticky out deck piece (I know all the nautical terms) that then slots into the main funnel piece, I assume it is the access deck to the two large searchlights on either side of the funnel. Got it roughly curved to shape, attached one end with a drop of superglue and took dog for a walk to give this anchor point plenty of time to harden. Came back and, after a cup of tea, picked up the part to anchor the next bend ( the idea is to anchor at specific points with superglue then run a bead of thin PVA to seal it). However, as soon as I picked it up, the railings part just fell off, not stuck at all. The PE has been cleaned with alcohol but it still doesn't stick.

Started again, this time using accelerator again, and finally got a single point stuck. Moved to the next point, added superglue held railings in place, sprayed accelerator and held for a few seconds more. Released my grip only to find railings stuck perfectly to my finger but not even touching the plastic. In separating the railing section from my finger, very gently, the railings broke at the 45° bend.

I said two very, very rude words, switched off the desk lamp and just walked away. Really, really peed off now. I have decided that I am definitely losing dexterity in my fingers and that this will be my last major PE project. Definitely will not be using all of it as I have said before but I will be using a lot less than I hoped I would.:sad:

I feel your pain. With railings just put a spot of glue on the ends and any bends. When it drys, thin down PVA, and use a brush to 'wick' the glue between the deck and the railings.

F

Fenlander

I feel your pain. With railings just put a spot of glue on the ends and any bends. When it drys, thin down PVA, and use a brush to 'wick' the glue between the deck and the railings.
Cheers Graham but that is exactly what I was trying to as I said in my post. I have always used the tack with superglue and fill with PVA. Fir some reason, I just cannot get this stuff to work with the superglue.