Starfix 1/48? Scale BF 109 G?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Now I'm not sure of the 1/48 scale as I've only ever built two models in this scale but looking at those and taking notice of the seat sizes this is not 1/48 but bigger than 1/72

Now to the kit , boy is this a mess lol it's rivets are large and on the whole body of the kit giving it a look more like it was made out of Lego ! I dry fitted the fuselage and noticed the starboard side is about 1mm bigger than the other so it looks like a lot filling is in store for me

View attachment 79791

I'm not going to add or alter anything in this build it will be OOB
image.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Told you they are bad.

These models, if got cheap enough, are ideal for young modellers to have a crack at and practice on. For a serious modeller, maybe a challenge so they may take it on.

Will be interesting to see what you make of it.

Just to add that Starfix were a Israeli company, now gone bust IRC.

Si:smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
Well you've got it out of the box and all the parts seem to be undamaged.So that's a good start in my book.What are the decals like?.I hear they give you stickers with these kits?.Saves all that messy dipping in water business!.Looking at the fuselage I'm going to stick my neck out and say I think it's supposed to be a G6.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Well you've got it out of the box and all the parts seem to be undamaged.So that's a good start in my book.What are the decals like?.I hear they give you stickers with these kits?.Saves all that messy dipping in water business!.Looking at the fuselage I'm going to stick my neck out and say I think it's supposed to be a G6.
Yes Dave all parts are in damaged and the decals are indeed stickers it will be interesting to see how they go on and tbh they don't look too bad View attachment 79793

\ said:
Told you they are bad.These models, if got cheap enough, are ideal for young modellers to have a crack at and practice on. For a serious modeller, maybe a challenge so they may take it on.

Will be interesting to see what you make of it.

Just to add that Starfix were a Israeli company, now gone bust IRC.

Good point about the young modellers having a crack not too sure many seasoned builders would like the challenge , you'd spend more than the kit on aftermarket add ons lol

image.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
First section in the instructions now washed and assembled I haven't bothered with the pilot as he is really to small for the aircraft I'd say he was more like 1/68 scale than 1/48

First Name
Dave
One good thing about a dark cockpit colour (RLM66?) and a thick canopy is you won't notice the lack of detail when it's assembled.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Ok wings are on and so is the port side tail plane , however the starboard side guide hole is way out of alignment so it looks like the tail plane is crooked , so I've filled it and will attach it and line it up correctly View attachment 79800

image.jpg

First Name
Mike
I'm not sure kits like this are ideal for young, inexperienced modelers, it might put them off the hobby for life. A newly-tooled Airfix kit like the Hurri or the 109 – simple kits that are accurate and go together well – are more likely to make the experience enjoyable and maintain their interest.

Alan, the Starfix kit is apparently close to 1/54 scale.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I'm not sure kits like this are ideal for young, inexperienced modelers, it might put them off the hobby for life. A newly-tooled Airfix kit like the Hurri or the 109 – simple kits that are accurate and go together well – are more likely to make the experience enjoyable and maintain their interest.Alan, the Starfix kit is apparently close to 1/54 scale.
Good point about the kids losing interest with kits like this.

The scale is what the person in the review said and I'd have to agree because it's not 1/48

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I'm not sure kits like this are ideal for young, inexperienced modelers, it might put them off the hobby for life. A newly-tooled Airfix kit like the Hurri or the 109 – simple kits that are accurate and go together well – are more likely to make the experience enjoyable and maintain their interest.Alan, the Starfix kit is apparently close to 1/54 scale.
Maybe in part in construction, but as a test bed for gluing, painting a cheapo kit like this may work better.

B

Bunkerbarge

It's always worth having an old kit hanging around as a paint hack for testing out air brush and painting techniques as well as paint compatibilities. I see what you mean about the rivets, it looks more like the Titanic!!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Well here she is complete and ready for painting , I've made no adjustments to it bar making things fit properly

Now I'm not an expert on the 109 but the propellers look a bit odd and the tail plane looks a little small to me View attachment 79815

View attachment 79816

View attachment 79817

View attachment 79818

View attachment 79819

To be honest it did fit together well and it was only the filing to level up the surfaces that was a pain , still it does look more like a cartoon version of a 109 than an exact replica
Now all I need to find out is what the colour of it was as it only shows you what it looks like painted and doesn't give any colour code but what do you expect for a total layout of £7 inc p&p :smiling3:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

First Name
Dave
Wow,that was quick.If I take my glasses off it does look like a 109.Seriously though I think whoever made the moulds must have used a photo rather than scale drawings for reference.For paint colours I would use RLM74 and 75 splinter pattern for the upper surfaces and RLM76 for the undersides and fuselage sides.Then a mottle of the 74 and 75 colours.

P

Paul Daniell

looking good matey.

Think once it is painted you will show no matter how bad the kit some modelers can make any bad kit look good.

D

dubster72

It could be a lot worse for £7 Alan! Although from some angles the nose looks really long, almost like a 190D.

Look forward to seeing the painting.

Cheers

Patrick

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hehe, this is awesome to watch. Doing a good job Alan. If nothing else this is a great opportunity to practice filling, sanding and protecting rivet detail. And rivets galore! Aside from the rather obvious issues with shape, the nose cannon covers are rather odd in that they join up.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys i love the humour

it is a rather odd looking thing ,

Thank you Dave for the paint numbers the only one I don't have is RLM74 it's gunship grey according to my chart so I wonder what colour I can mix up to get that colour

Thanks for all the replys this has been and interesting and puzzling build lol