Finished - 1930's Aberdeen Steam Trawler - Star of Freedom

C

Caledonia

Finally got my Trawler finished after 14 Months. This model is dedicated to several deceased members of my family.

First of all to my Father who was a Trawl Skipper for most of his working life. During WWII he commanded an ASW Armored Trawler (Anti-Submarine Warfare) based at Leith, Mull, Milford Haven, Nigeria and South Africa. In his 70’s he ferried Trawlers to Hull and Grimsby. When the Trawler was returning from the fishing grounds they would radio ahead with details of the catch to the owners. If the fish price in Hull or Grimsby were better than Aberdeen, when the Trawler arrived in port the normal crew would have their shore leave and a skeleton crew would ferry the Trawler to Hull or Grimsby.

Second to my Fathers brother who was a Chief Engineer on Trawlers, sometimes sailing with my Father, he died prematurely.

Third my cousin on my Father’s side who was a ships carpenter and who died in his early 50’s from asbestosis contracted when he stripped out asbestos lagging etc when Trawlers were being refitted. He worked in Hall, Russell & Co. Ltd, the builder of this Trawler.

Finally I have also to dedicate the Model to the crew from Milford Haven who all lost their lives on this Trawler when it was renamed Robert Limbrick. this website for an account of the loss. A Kilchoan Diary: The Robert Limbrick

Here are some photos of the finished Model, hope you enjoy looking at them. If there are any Trawlermen amongst you, please accept my apologies for any errors, there are no drawings of the S.T. Star of Freedom, I could only go by the two photos I found and my memory of Trawlers when I was a child many moons ago.

The Kit review can be found here http://www.scale-models.co.uk/product-reviews/12060-side-steam-trawler-milford-star-1-48-caldercraft.html

And the build can be found here http://www.scale-models.co.uk/boats-ships/13004-1930s-aberdeen-steam-trawler-modified-1-48-calder-craft-milford-star.html

There are a lot of short falls with the kit even if you wanted to build it straight out of the box, shortage of materials, very very poor instructions and out of scale drawings, no rigging chord, no lettering or decals etc. etc.

View attachment 50218View attachment 50219View attachment 50230View attachment 50237View attachment 50231View attachment 50232View attachment 50233View attachment 50234View attachment 50235View attachment 50236View attachment 50220View attachment 50221View attachment 50222View attachment 50223View attachment 50224View attachment 50225View attachment 50226View attachment 50227View attachment 50228View attachment 50229

Forgot to add some of the Wheelhouse Interior photos before it was closed up.

View attachment 50256View attachment 50257View attachment 50258View attachment 50259

View attachment 52929

View attachment 52930

View attachment 52931

View attachment 52932

View attachment 52933

View attachment 52934

View attachment 52935

View attachment 52936

View attachment 52937

View attachment 52938

View attachment 52939

View attachment 52940

View attachment 52941

View attachment 52942

View attachment 52943

View attachment 52944

View attachment 52945

View attachment 52946

View attachment 52947

View attachment 52948

View attachment 52967

View attachment 52968

View attachment 52969

View attachment 52970

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

F3.jpg

F4.jpg

F5.jpg

F6.jpg

F7.jpg

F8.jpg

F9.jpg

F10.jpg

F11.jpg

F12.jpg

F13.jpg

F14.jpg

F15.jpg

F16.jpg

F17.jpg

F18.jpg

F19.jpg

F20.jpg

B74.jpg

B75.jpg

B78.jpg

B79.jpg

Last edited:
T

treyzx10r

:terrific:Wow what a stunning build Derek and a fitting tribute! Very nicely done Sir and a well deserved 5 stars. I really enjoyed watching this come together it was a real treat and worth the wait! Your attention to detail is top notch and the craftsmanship is outstanding! Whats up next on the building table?

C

Caledonia

Thanks Trey for your comments and 5 Star.

I am going to have a wee break from modelling for a few weeks and will be doing this thread which I started some time ago but the Trawler took over my life for the past few months.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/planes-helicopters/15307-sas-helicopter-modified-1-48-trumpeter-aerospatiale-as365n-dauphin-2-a.html

C

CDW

Brilliant Derek, just brilliant.

Very realistic looking model, if you popped that in the water it'd look like the real thing mate.

The stories and tributes give the build a certain extra something and gives it "life"...

Thanks for sharing, enjoyed the whole build.

P

Polux

I have been waiting many time to see it finished, and now I don't know exactly what to say....

Say great work and big 5 isn't enoufh!

Dedicate this ship to all, is a brillant detail.

Best regards

Polux

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Derek the work and detail gone into this build is clear for all to see a work of art and well worth the 5 stars plus. Great work mate

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your kind comments lads. You might be interested in a few details of a Trawlermans life.

They worked on a 14 day cycle. 12 days was fishing and steaming to and from the fishing grounds, they had one Saturday and Sunday off per fortnight.

They all had to buy their own food when at sea.

The Skipper and Mate did not get a wage, but got a percentage share of the catch. If the weather was bad and the fishing poor or non existant. The Skipper and Mate would end up in debt owing the Trawl Owners for the food, and no income. No minimum wage or human rights then.

Actors consider saying the word Macbeth on stage to be very unlucky, Fishermen considered the word Pig or any of its parts to be very unlucky.

Trawlers never left port on a Sunday - very bad luck.

Seagulls, the bird we all love to hate when they mess up our car, were considered to be the spirit of Fishermen lost at sea.

Finally a photo of a Trawler, no its not sinking, just entering Aberdeen Harbour in a gale. The point at which this photo was taken, is known locally as the 'Bar', this is where the fresh water from the river Dee mixes with the salt water and causes a highly turbulant area.

View attachment 50260

Hope you find the above of interest.

Cheers Derek

View attachment 52971

fortryan.jpg

Last edited:
P

phalinmegob

wow, a definate five star job there mate.we have a river dee very close to us and that has a very turbulant area were it enters the sea just behind hilbre island,whirlpools and such like.

First Name
Dave
Fantastic build Derek.Iv'e not built this type of kit myself but I know a hell of a lot of work goes into them.Looks superb.By the way, I hope you meant 'deceased' in your first paragraph!.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Derek you da man!

That my friend is bloody fantastic and I don't excuse my foul language :tongue-out:

The detail is fantastic, the painting is fantastic, the care for the detail reflects your commitment to this wonderful build.

Considering the life these men lived to put food on our tables, I think your dedication should extend to ALL the trawlermen that paid for our fish and chips with their lifes.

Fantastic work Derek.

Five stars is just not enough for that but I award them gladly.

Ian M

M

mobear

well well well Derek,it seems this boat is just flipping magnificent,i think ive looked at all the pics at least 6 or 7 times,mostly in disbelief,super build,5*s doesnt seem too justify the build and the story,thnx mate for this

mobear

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful , poignant , fitting ,priceless, moving. I cant really add anything else Derek , (you might have gathered that i like it alot!) 5 stars isnt enough , cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Well lads you are making me blush, thank you all for your OTT comments, they are each very much appreciated especially since this was a build close to my heart. Thanks for pointing out my typo Dave W, I don't know how to edit this after the 24 hr period of grace, perhaps a kind Moderator could oblige. Ian M you are of course quite right all Trawlermen should be included, but I would suggest all their Wives should be also, bear in mind these women had to bring up families almost single handedly, during a very difficult period between the world wars and after WWII. Thanks again.

Tony AKA yak face I am not forgetting its just over two years to your sad loss , my thoughts are with you.

Cheers Derek

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Derek,I come late to this one. That is a beautiful build. There's nothing much I can add to what has already been said. For me the model is an education and the back story you have given yet another.

I am in awe,a much over used and devalued word,but not in this context.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Well lads you are making me blush, thank you all for your OTT comments, they are each very much appreciated especially since this was a build close to my heart. Thanks for pointing out my typo Dave W, I don't know how to edit this after the 24 hr period of grace, perhaps a kind Moderator could oblige. Ian M you are of course quite right all Trawlermen should be included, but I would suggest all their Wives should be also, bear in mind these women had to bring up families almost single handedly, during a very difficult period between the world wars and after WWII. Thanks again.Tony AKA yak face I am not forgetting its just over two years to your sad loss , my thoughts are with you.

Cheers Derek
Thankyou derek , much appreciated , tony

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Hi Derek,I come late to this one. That is a beautiful build. There's nothing much I can add to what has already been said. For me the model is an education and the back story you have given yet another. I am in awe,a much over used and devalued word,but not in this context.

Cheers

Steve
Thanks Steve, I appreciate your comments. Cheers Derek

C

chris2681

Good job. I think its great that you could build something that has so much importance in your life. From reading I can tell you put a lot of love onto the build. I HAVE ONE QUESTION. Is the decking actually wood or is it plastic?

C

Caledonia

Hi Chris, and welcome. To answer your question, the deck is wooden overplayed with wooden strips. Have a look at the build log, Page 6, here is the link. http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/1930s-aberdeen-steam-trawler-modified-1-48-calder-craft-milford-star.13004/page-6

Thanks for viewing and your kind comments. Derek

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'm so glad this has popped up again. How I missed it first time, heaven knows!

Derek, this is one beautiful model. A real credit to you. The bit of history is a nice touch too.

Belated congratulations on a superb model.