first aircraft paint

D

dubster72

.....yes I did see the reference, and I hope the thread might be of some use to someone in the same situation as Edd.

Just going on my own experience, and over a large area, I've always found acrylics easier to brush apply than enamels......even for a newbie.

Let's leave it at that, or Edd will get confused as to what's what.:smiling3:

You were ever a newbie Ron? :p
Whilst I appreciate your concern for Edd, I'm sure he's smart enough to follow varying points of view.
And IMHO, the longer drying time of enamels make it easier to avoid brush marks.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thank you for your replies.
I have left the layers longer between coats now.
I didn't prime this one, but definiently will the next.

If I get a spray can primer, do I spray all the spruces with all the bits on? Or make up the model, then prime (this way, there may be parts that are painted already, I.e. Cockpit)

My order is going to be
Paint,
Gloss,
Panel lines
Decals,
Weathering,
Finish coat.

Is this the right way round for decals, panels and weathering? I wanted the weathering over the top of the decals. Also, do I need to gloss or Matt coat in between these layers?

Cheers again.
(I will update with photos as I go along)
Edd
edd I would
Paint
Gloss
Decals
Gloss
Panel lines
Gloss and then weather with a final coat of whatever gloss coat your after ie
Matt
Semi- gloss
Full gloss

E

Eddm87

I have tried a variety of acrylics, but personally don't find them as good as enamels. I like the fact enamels easily get rid of brush strokes. Admittedly though, I hate the long wait times!!

Here's a picture of how it's going so far
IMG_6975.JPG

A lot better, one or two more coats and it's time for glossing.
I do worry that the panel lines are getting hidden under the paint, but we will see.
Most the bombs are painted and are awaiting decals.
My colour scheme is all over the place, have started randomly painting things in a colour I prefer! Still though, for me that's the point of this model
Cheers
Edd

First Name
Alex
You mentioned about getting brush strokes appear with acrylics, well what I do is thin the acrylic paint with water (as it's water based) i find if you have a good prime coat, medium grey is pretty standard then you can get away with 2 acrylic coats, although with lighter colours like yellow, you can use a white primer and you will need 3 or 4 coats. When you are thinning enamel paint it is best to use a 'low odour' white spirit as opposed to standard white spirit, the reason being that low odour is less abrasive and standard white spirit is better for cleaning your brushes. Also if you have not thinned the paint correctly and end up doing too many coats or too many thick coats, you start to fill in the panel lines to the point that after the clear gloss coats and final clear coat (Matt, Satin or Gloss) you will struggle to fill in the panel lines with a colour wash. If you get into that situation then you can score down the panel lines with a needle or engineers scribe before you apply your gloss coat.

E

Eddm87

Just a wee update. Finished the build.
Excuse the terrible photos
IMG_7106.jpg IMG_7107.jpg IMG_7108.jpg IMG_7109.jpg

Definiently not a great build, however, learnt a ton, some of it looks really good, others... not so much, i.e. the one camo painted wing!

Oh well, on to the next!

First Name
Alex
Got to start somewhere right? The thing with model making is there is always things to learn and thats part of the fun. Heres a tip as i noticed you have a frosted cannopy. The cannopy frosts over when you fix it with poly cement or super glue because of the vapour given off by the glue. So to remedy that you can use 'tacky PVA' a opposed to regular PVA glue. It dries clear and doesnt give off any corrosive vapours. You can also buy cannopy glue but tacky PVA is a lot cheaper and can be easily picked up in hardware or craft stores. It will take a good 6 or 7 hour to dry but i find the results are good

First Name
Christos
I've got some good experience from the past using many layers of heavily diluted acrylics getting a very smooth finish with no brush strokes.
But when I tried the same with enamels of late it was a bit of a disaster.
Looks like using too much thinner also dilutes the previous coat so you aren't getting anywhere soon.
Acrylics dry out much quicker and, while much less resilient than enamels, they are a lot less sensitive to water than enamels are to white spirit and such.
Solution to the long drying times of the enamels is to build more than one project at a time:poop:
As for your first build, anything that is finished looks beautiful;)