First tank - Tamiya Jagdpanther Sd.Kfz.173 (Late Version) 1/35

J

Jens Andrée

Ok, this is technically my second tank although I count this as my first since the first one, which I built last week, was a T34/76 that was used to get started and get into the whole world of building scale models again. It's now pretty much banged up, burned and rusted, from being hit. It served a purpose to get going.

Anyhow, this is not about a broken T34 - this is about the Jagdpanther!

When I two-ish weeks ago decided to get into tank building I quickly made a long list of tanks and armoured vehicles I wanted to build.
Upon finding a local-ish hobby store with a descent selection of manufacturers and models the list grew even longer and I decided to limit my initial purchase to three models. One to make all the initial errors with and then two proper tanks, and like so many before me I chose a Jagdtiger Sd.Kfz.173 and the Tiger Sd.Kfz.181.
I'd seen some people using photo etched parts but they were out of these parts where I ordered and I wasn't going to wait for parts to arrive. I wanted to build right away!

From what I'd read Tamiya had reasonably well detailed models with not too many parts to assemble. Personally I love the assembly part of the build so in the future I will get one of those really detailed models, complete with interior and hopefully engines etc.

Documentation was pretty ok after I'd read it a couple of times in order to understand how it worked. It wasn't 100% obvious initially and the fact that this kit obviously share sprues with the sibling Panther Sd.Kfz.171 took some time to realise.
I didn't want to assemble the wheels prior to painting so they are unmounted until they are painted. I also didn't glue the main gun to the upper half, nor did I glue the barrel to the rest of the gun assembly to make it easier to paint - and because I was afraid I was going to do something I'd regret later. Better to avoid gluing some major parts in the beginning until I get more experience. Much easier to glue than to un-glue something... No ctrl-z in real life.

Here are the parts prepped for a priming and this is where I've got an internal debate whether I should prime them with rotbraun (which I don't have at home) or if I should stick to the original plan to prime everything with black and then add a white highlight layer before the real colours? This is not going to be a banged up model. In fact I want to build it almost factory new, in the correct camo pattern for the period - but some minor weathering from whatever normal dust and scuff-marks a tank would receive on its way to the battlefield.
I will try to do some minor chipping to begin learning the technique, but in this case less is more I think.

Interior will be white and only some selected parts will be detailed with colour.

jagdpanther2.jpg

jagdpanther3.jpg

jagdpanther4.jpg

I think I'm going to sleep on this and decide tomorrow about priming!

A few observations so far on the Jagdpanther is that it lacks an antenna, but the mount is there. (see last picture) Should be easy enough to create an antenna by melting, and drawing out, a piece of the sprue. I read about this somewhere I think?
Two holes were missing, but this could be due to Jagdpanther and Panther sharing parts. I opted to cut the pins rather than drilling the two missing holes.
Side armour plates are not meant to be one piece, but from a manufacturers point of view I understand this. I will cut mine apart before assembly and painting so they can be slightly askew/irregular. I've debated whether to leave them off, but a almost factory new December 1944 Jagdpanther would have the side armour on so I guess they're staying.
The commander has got a belt. None of the pictures of the German tank division uniforms I've got has got a belt, but that doesn't mean someone put a belt on? Minor detail I guess...
Included tracks... Oh dear. I love to not have to assemble link by link and then doing some über complex glueup this early - but the soft polymer tracks this kit came with isn't as nice as the rest of the kit. It's also way too tight and this also made the choice for the side armour easier to make.
Wouldn't most tanks in late 1944 and early 1945 have Zimmerit or had they abandoned this by now? This tank will be without zimmerit for sure in order not to make this a very long project...
Also I'd like to add wires where appropriate since it's missing from the headlight and the commanders headphones, but perhaps I should ignore such things on my first builds in order to learn?

This kit doesn't seem to need any putty or filler - unlike the T34, but some parts required more sanding than others - but all in all it was very little touching up to do! I will buy more Tamiya kits for sure.

I hope I don't make too many mistakes on this my first proper build, but I believe in learning from my mistakes and we'll se how much I've learned when I call this done?!

D

dubster72

Jens, definitely leave the barrel & mantlet assembly off until you've painted the hull - it's much easier that way!

Zimmerit was discontinued in September 1944 so you're ok leaving that off.

J

Jens Andrée

Jens, definitely leave the barrel & mantlet assembly off until you've painted the hull - it's much easier that way!

Zimmerit was discontinued in September 1944 so you're ok leaving that off.
Great!

I wasn't sure if and when they discontinued zimmerit, but towards the end Germany even run out of most paints and were forced to use primer as primary colour so I guessed zimmerit would've ceased at some point.
It's not something I'd like to attempt just yet...

D

dubster72

Great!

I wasn't sure if and when they discontinued zimmerit, but towards the end Germany even run out of most paints and were forced to use primer as primary colour so I guessed zimmerit would've ceased at some point.
It's not something I'd like to attempt just yet...

Well the whole thing about German supply problems is a matter of some conjecture. The evidence of tanks in combat wearing just primer is...kinda nonexistent!

Certainly there was a period when Olivegrun was used as the basecoat instead of Dunkelgelb, but that didn't last too long.

Imho it's perhaps better to say that the quality of paint declined sharply from early 1945, rather than supplies dried up.

J

Jens Andrée

Well the whole thing about German supply problems is a matter of some conjecture. The evidence of tanks in combat wearing just primer is...kinda nonexistent!

Certainly there was a period when Olivegrun was used as the basecoat instead of Dunkelgelb, but that didn't last too long.

Imho it's perhaps better to say that the quality of paint declined sharply from early 1945, rather than supplies dried up.

I certainly took my information regarding German tanks were painted with primer only towards the end from what I read in a book without checking facts first. 1945 was a really long time ago and pretty much all we've got are black & white photos to go on, and lots of speculation...
I'm certainly an amateur on the subject.

Regardless I ended up priming my Jagdpanther in XF-69 Nato Black and it will now receive a white coat on selected panels, in order to create some minor shading if I manage to to the top coats thinly...
Good practise with the airbrush though ;)

J

Jens Andrée

Whilst trying to get hold of photo etched parts for my Jagdpanter - which I failed to I might add - I've been practising various techniques on my "destroyed and burned out T34/76" and also built a Tamiya Tiger I, which I managed to find PE parts to.

Both these are now primed and yesterday I received a big box of colours, i.e. I made an large-ish order of various Tamiya jars for all of my current, and planned, models. I also ordered some panel liners, washes and some more weathering stuff to practise with and to learn a few basic techniques before I try it for real...

I've also tried to dilute my Tamiya paints with 20-25% cellulose thinner and what a difference it made compared to my Vallejo thinner when airbrushing!!!
It comes out as a really fine mist, no splattering, and it dries really fast!
The downside is that I get a headache every time I paint but I'll have to arrange for better airflow around me.
My painting skills just went from zero to beginner! :smiling3:

I've also tried to research the paint schemes that were (supposedly?) used during the various campaigns and I've tried to compile a basic list in order to be as accurate as I can be, but since the camo pattern often was applied by the tank crew themselves I suppose there were some "artistic freedom" involved and that there might not be any exact strict rules...?
I've stocked up on the various colours that were used by the Germans so at least that's correct.

Since I've decided to use the figures after hearing your opinion I've also bought a few different flesh tones. Honestly I've got no clue on how to attack this but I've seen some youtube videos that gives some insight so we'll see how it goes... Worst case scenario will be covered with "tactical weathering" I think, i.e. "dirty faces" from tinkering with the tanks... :p

One problem I have discovered whilst starting scale modelling again is the Tamiya extra thin cement. I mean it's excellent and a joy to use - but it screws with my eyes really bad and after a while I can't see anything...
I know it's the same thing with air circulation but to be honest I do most of my modelling, and everything else, in my bed. I was in an accident 7 years ago which gave me a fractured pelvic and a handful of damaged disks in my lower spine. This put me in a wheelchair for the better part of four years. After extensive surgery, and another major one in the near future, I'm mostly bedridden due to the fact that I can't really sit and in order not to drop all of my creativity I started doing things in my bed - just to do something! I haven't got a wife any longer, just my two boys, so I can do whatever I want, which is nice, but using solvents in the bedroom isn't the best idea I've had so far, that I can tell you... hehe...
I need to get the mancave, aka the game room, sorted ASAP so I can start doing all my modelling work there and to maintain a better ventilation.

Sorry, no pictures this time but I will rectify that next time!

And thanks for all the help and encouragement so far!!!

D

dubster72

If you're ok with using cellulose thinners Jens, try Mr Hobby Aqueous paints. They're a synthetic acrylic just like Tamiya & spray just as well when thinned with cellulose.

But do invest in a spray booth (or build your own) & a spray mask!

J

Jens Andrée

If you're ok with using cellulose thinners Jens, try Mr Hobby Aqueous paints. They're a synthetic acrylic just like Tamiya & spray just as well when thinned with cellulose.

But do invest in a spray booth (or build your own) & a spray mask!

Spray booth will be built as soon as the "mancave" has had it's final lick of paint and the furniture is in place.
One end of the room will be dedicated for build & paint and a ventilated (fan assisted) spray booth will be a permanent fixture for sure!

Will look at Mr Hobby Aqueous paint in the future if they're available in Sweden? If not the Tamiya seems to work really well. The only complaint I've got so far is the 10ml jars they come in...
Not exactly the easiest thing in the world to fill the airbrush with and certain colours, like primer etc, run out really quick.
Vallejo paint bottles are much easier to use when airbrushing imho, but I'm sure I'll work something out at some point to make this easier...

Always wanted an airbrush but never got one and it's as easy as to paint as I thought it'd be! Just don't move to fast or you'll end up with random psychedelic blob-patterns on your trousers! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dubster72

Spray booth will be built as soon as the "mancave" has had it's final lick of paint and the furniture is in place.
One end of the room will be dedicated for build & paint and a ventilated (fan assisted) spray booth will be a permanent fixture for sure!

Will look at Mr Hobby Aqueous paint in the future if they're available in Sweden? If not the Tamiya seems to work really well. The only complaint I've got so far is the 10ml jars they come in...
Not exactly the easiest thing in the world to fill the airbrush with and certain colours, like prime etc, run out really quick.
Vallejo paint bottles are much easier to use when airbrushing imho, but I'm sure I'll work something out at some point to make this easier...

Always wanted an airbrush but never got one and it's as easy as to paint as I thought it'd be! Just don't move to fast or you'll end up with random psychedelic blob-patterns on your trousers! :D

I don't know about their availability in Sweden, but the colour range is far more extensive than Tamiya. Same tiny 10ml bottles though :sad: