Fishing Boat.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Hi Polux,

Titebond 1414 is good stuff to use. It has fast "tack" but still allows some movement for final adjustment. It's also waterproof. So if you did decide on the RC route it'll be ok for that.

When you start the planking make sure you clamp the keel to a board to keep it straight........... Small blocks of wood the size of the gaps between the bulkheads fixed to the board either side of the keel........ Otherwise you will get "Keel Twist".Then start your planking from the gunwhales down........ The first strake is the most important to get on and needs to run at exactly the same distance from the top of the bulkheads ........... Get that one on first and leave the glue to set well before you do any more .......... Plank down to the curve of the bilge and let that dry off well.............. Then you'll be ok to take it off the board, turn it upside down and start planking from the keel so the two rows of planks meet............ I hope I haven't made that too complicated..... Good luck matey.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
P

Polux

Great help and advice Peter!!!

Thank you very much to take your time to response and post the photos ;)

Regards

Polux

B

Bunkerbarge

Peter has it spot on, you need to secure the frames to a base to prevent warping during the build, in particular as the glue dries.

This is a very similar set up I did to build for the scratchbuild lifeboat and dinghy for the Ben Ain.

Some advocate starting planking at the keel, as I did with the boats because they were clinker construction, but some advocate starting at the gunwhale. You can see with Peter's that he has come from both and met with the closers in the middle. This is probably the best as it ensures straight and easy to fit planks at the keel and gunwhale and all the adjustments can be taken care of around the bilge.

Also as you can see from Peter's ensure you are happy with your pins or securing system before you start.

View attachment 114724

View attachment 114725

View attachment 114726

View attachment 114727

View attachment 114728

View attachment 114729

View attachment 114730

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
That's a cracking job on that lifeboat Richard.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Great help and advice Peter!!!
Thank you very much to take your time to response and post the photos ;)

Regards

Polux
Glad to help Polux ............. Anything else let me know.

P

Polux

Tank you very much Richard!!

With those great advices I cannot failed...:confused:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Amazing stuff, guys!!:cool::eek::cool: