Clear Tamiya paint Q

M

munkster

Hello all - have just come to paint a spinner in gloss red but found I didn't have gloss red in my box but flat red. I do however have a jar of "clear" red.

Now, I'll be painting over gloss white, question is, if I paint over gloss white with clear red will the results be akin to gloss red?? Or even anything close to gloss?

Hope you kept up there! Any thoughts welcome, cheers, Rob

ps - all of the above is Tamiya acrylics by the way... and painting over gloss white because I'm attempting (!) a stripey spinner on a Spitfire. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
C

Caledonia

Hi Rob, I use clear red for navigation lights, it is a gloss but is fairly transparent, suggest you could paint with your flat red, then top coat it with the clear red for the gloss effect. Try it with a small hand brush on scrap plastic first to check. I find Tamiya's always dry darker. Cheers Derek

M

munkster

Interesting suggestion re: flat then clear, cheers for that.

Trouble is this option will require patience on my part and given I am desperate to get this Spitfire finished (not got a great deal of love for this kit) I may not be able to summon restraint :smiling:

Alternatively I can order some gloss red!!! Will ponder a while...

First Name
Mike
Or you can paint the spinner with the matt red and then apply a coat of gloss vanish/Future/etc.

M

munkster

Or you can paint the spinner with the matt red and then apply a coat of gloss vanish/Future/etc.
Yeah that did cross my mind but haven't found that the stuff I use (Lakeland floor polish, similar to Future/Klear as far as I can tell) makes it truly glossy but presume with the clear red on top it might give it a bit of a boost. Will probably give this a go tomorrow now!

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi munkster if possable could you post some pictures of your results so we all can see the result . Many thanks papa 695

M

m1ks

use flat red then any clear gloss over the top, i don't think the clear red over white will give the results you're looking for

F

Fenlander

If you have a flat red, try white first (or better, yellow) then flat red then clear red. That will have a good gloss.

M

munkster

No probs Ian - I have removed the masking and it's hardly an expert piece of work (so I'm not overly desperate to post up a pic!) but it'll do and the stripe effect works unless you're up close...

The main thing is however that the flat/clear red combo really seemed to work well - in my case over a GLOSS white base.

Last edited: