Fleet Air Arm Corsair II - Tamiya 1/32

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The Corsair has to be one of the best carrier fighters of WW2 though initially it was rejected by the USN as unsuitable for carrier operations. It was the British FAA that developed the techniques and skills to land these on carriers safely so it is appropriate to build my Tamiya Corsair F4U-1a as a Corsair II of the Royal navy with the clipped wings needed for them to fit inside the smaller British carriers.

But first - my work area has had some modification. Having switched to spraying MRP paint my spray booth was no longer adequate so I decided to invest in a new Bench Vent booth. There are a lot cheaper solutions but I decided on this one after looking at reviews, yes it is a lot more expensive than some, several times more expensive and I just told myself that it will last years and just costs the same as two of the Tamiya Mossies.....

Here is what my work area looks like now after my 'between project' deep clean and modifications:
IMG_2514.JPG

A few close-ups:
IMG_2515.JPG
You can see my 'bottle shaker' handy and ready for use to the left. I use the foam board, a large white one under the whole painting area and a black one where most of the spraying will happen. The latter will be swapped (or turned over) after each project while I hope the white board will last for several projects.
IMG_2516.JPG
For good measure here is the build area with the new project out and ready. I will be making a few more modifications to this area in coming weeks to increase the number of MRP paints it holds, reducing the Vallejo and some new drawers.

While I am at it, how about a few more close-ups...
IMG_2517.JPG
My right lower display shelf with a couple of Tammy Mustangs (1/32 as are all my models) and my Birdcage Corsair.
IMG_2518.JPG
My left lower shelf with a couple of Spittys, a Mk VIII will be joining them which will be the build after I finish the Corsair.
IMG_2519.JPG
A pair of Zeros with at the back a Frank on my top right shelf with a glimps of part of my stash.
IMG_2520.JPG
Opposite left to shelf, my Mig 3 and the HK Models Mossie with another glimps of my stash...
IMG_2521.JPG
The left side of my stash shelf.
IMG_2522.JPG
The right side of my stash shelf.
IMG_2523.JPG
While I was stood on the chair a look down at the build area...
IMG_2524.JPG
And, another look down at the spray area

Now over to the build about which this thread is all about.
I have not yet started cutting plastic but I have been preparing the for it.
IMG_2525.JPG
I labelled all the sprues for easy identification. OK it takes a bit of time but save a lot of time later....
IMG_2527.JPG
I have a Techmod decal set and a Montex mask set. I was unimpressed with the Techmod decals I used with the Spitty IX as they splintered so I am expecting to use a mix of masking for the main marking and the decals. I think I will build the top of the three Techmod aircraft you can see under the mask pack. The national insignia are somewhat different to the similar ones in the masks but I think they will work, they are the right size, I just do not spray the yellow and red using white for those areas instead.

As for the fabric seatbelts - I have failed with these every time just having not got on with them. But, I will try again and have a Eduard Steel set available if needed.

I will start cutting plastic tonight.

Paints will be MRP of course, using Dark Slate, Extra Dark Sea Grey and Sky for the main colours. I will assume that the interior was painted in US colours and their primers were used.

What am I trying out new...
I will use the MRP Silver primer and will not black base this build. I will be using chipping solution, doing a 'double chipping', first Yellow Chromate Primer chipped over the silver primer, that will be sealed then I will chip the camo colours over the yellow chromate.... I am hoping for a very realistic chipping effect. I will not overdo it or the weathering in general, bearing in mind this aircraft operated off a carrier, HMS Victorious. AKI Chipping Fluid will be used.

I am also thinking that I will equip the aircraft with the centre line bomb that comes with the kit. Yes it is USN ordnance but as the RN were working closely with the USN it should not 'jar'.

Last edited:

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looking forward to the build.

I use a sheet of foamboard under the spraybooth, but I have some old desk pads (60x40cm) i got from a rep and i use sheets from that to protect the foamboard and replace regularly.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Like your office Barry and you like your birds big!:cool::rolleyes:;)

Looking forward to this Corsair build!:D

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I had an hour session last night and just got this far...
The office is a model in itself...
IMG_2529.JPG
My sub-assemblies will be led by what can easily be painted and I intend to prepare all the parts needed that are to be pinned between the cockpit sides before I have a painting session - so there is a long way to go just for that stage.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A good start Barry, there's some great detail in that office.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Some more progress
The seat
IMG_2536.JPG
I will have another go at these having picked up some tips.
IMG_2530.JPG
I applied the decal to the ip rear
IMG_2531.JPG
From the front
IMG_2533.JPG
It fits into the front of the ip with the dials showing through first
IMG_2534.JPG
Below I painted the back of the transparency over the decals as it helps make the dial detail pop from the front.
IMG_2535.JPG

Hopefully I will get more progress over the weekend.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The initial set of sub assemblies are ready for painting.
I cemented some elements to one side of the fuselage and used masking tape to attach the other half to make sure they dry in exactly the right position
IMG_2538.JPGWhen dry I removed the tape and the fuse halves are ready for paint.
IMG_2540.JPG
Here are the rest of the sub assemblies ready for painting.
IMG_2539.JPG

I will spray the appropriate base colour direct onto the plastic. If I have time I will even be able to start masking to spray the next colour and/or start hand brushing the details in the same session given how fast MRP dries to its robust finish.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I should add that again I did not get very far with the fabric seat belts and they are binned in favour of the Eduard Steel set.

I think I might still have a set or two of these tucked away with some of my stash and I will give them a go. Maybe I will get at least one set made up.

One thing I will never do is waste my money on buying fabric seat belts again whether Edward, HGW or whatever. Life is too short.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have not updated for a few days but I have been getting on with detail painting components for the fuselage internals.

A few pics of where I am at.
I used MRP of course, Vallejo for detail brush work and AKI True Metal wax metalisers. I sprayed a thin coat of MRP semi gloss over the parts to protect the paint from the washes. The True Metal being vulnerable to the enamel washes.
IMG_2548.JPG IMG_2549.JPG IMG_2550.JPG
Once I have done the washes I will spray a matt coat before dry brushing Uschi metal powders to create the wear and some more localised washes and pigments.

An update on the work area. I have remodelled it slightly adding more MRP sized paint holders and replaced the paper towel holder with a new drawer unit.
IMG_2545.JPG

One more pic for fun.....

a business contact called around for a 'one to one' network meeting as he wanted to see my models. Our networking group are having a competition for 'unusual' one to one photos and this is the pic I took to enter. The caption 'David should have gone to Pybus Opticians' - this firm are members of our group hence substituting them for the well known chai and the owner is the current chairman.
IMG_2547.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Good stuff Barry. I wish I could do a build log as good as you do. I just can't keep the momentum up. Must try harder.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well I have progressed the weathering. Not quite finished, just a bit of silver pencil work to do.

The ip
IMG_2551.JPG
And some more.
IMG_2552.JPG
IMG_2553.JPG
I will start pulling the pit together soon.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
silver pencil
Silver pencil. Do tell. I love it when you throw something new (well to me anyway) into the modelling arena. I bought one of those chrome pens you mentioned recently. Very impressed with that.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
LOL Colin. A prismatic silver pencil, nicely sharpened is good for creating metal chips and scratches. The Uschi powders are also good for that and also creating worn painted metal look. I find using both in combination quite effective.

I will post some pics when I get the chance but it might not be until Monday or Tuesday.

K

Kairasp

Good model Barry, wish I can make models like you. :sad:. See my Corsair below. All in 1/48.

Attachments

• DSC04309.JPG
    DSC04309.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC04310.JPG
    DSC04310.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC04311.JPG
    DSC04311.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC04312.JPG
    DSC04312.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC04313.JPG
    DSC04313.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 22
First Name
Dave
I should add that again I did not get very far with the fabric seat belts and they are binned in favour of the Eduard Steel set.

I think I might still have a set or two of these tucked away with some of my stash and I will give them a go. Maybe I will get at least one set made up.

One thing I will never do is waste my money on buying fabric seat belts again whether Edward, HGW or whatever. Life is too short.
The first set of fabric seat belts i bought i ended up binning. The instructions said to screw them up into a ball. Then i tried threading the buckles on and the belts delaminated.I probably miss read the instructions and should have put the buckles on first. The next set i didnt screw up(!) and i managed to put them together. But they were so fiddly and time consuming i havent bought any more. I use the standard Eduard belts. I have yet to try the steel ones.