Fw 190 D9..spanner570

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Time I added my contribution to the build list....

As you may have read this kit is bad, so like Gern I have chosen to build it into a diorama, not out of choice but I could not bring myself to build it to stand on it's own, so rough is it!

So, 'cos Gern has 'nicked' my idea! lol I had to do a rethink and have come up with an idea that I hope will work.........Like Dave's it does involve water, 'nuf said..

Two starter pictures and notice the stuff off the sprues, that's how I received it. No wonder a bit was missing!

Good luck to all,

Ron

View attachment 22647

View attachment 22648

FW 190 002..jpg

FW 190 001..jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
You'll do something good with it, i know you will Ron.

Good luck and ............... have fun, John

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Ron,

Just to try and make amends for 'nicking' your idea, I may have found your missing part for you! It looks like it's hiding away in the cowling - Part 2 - according to the second of your pics.

Am I forgiven?

Gern

PS You might want to post your new idea for your build before some other rotten scoundrel like me pinches it!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Hi Ron,Just to try and make amends for 'nicking' your idea, I may have found your missing part for you! It looks like it's hiding away in the cowling - Part 2 - according to the second of your pics.

Am I forgiven?

Gern

PS You might want to post your new idea for your build before some other rotten scoundrel like me pinches it!
Sorry in the delay responding Dave, you are right, it looks like part 3 has been incorporated into the part 2 moulding, great engine detail!

O.K. you're forgiven...look forward to seeing you on Sunday.

I take your point about posting my build intentions too, so boy's and girl's it will be Gern's 190 + a bit of time.

I thank you,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here is a quick update:-

Using a junior hacksaw and a modelling knife I have removed all the control surfaces from the airframe and the gun covers from the nose section, then after counting my fingers I filled and sanded any resultant gaps.

That is the story so far, not very interesting I know, but part of the build process.

Keep on truckin' everyone,

Ron

View attachment 22838

View attachment 22839

FW 190 004..jpg

FW 190 003..jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice butchery there. I hope the "resultant gaps" that you filled and sanded were on the model,not your fingers and that your count came to eight (plus two thumbs of course).

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Very nice butchery there. I hope the "resultant gaps" that you filled and sanded were on the model,not your fingers and that your count came to eight (plus two thumbs of course).Cheers

Steve
A bit of bad grammer from me there, well spotted Steve, so just in case anyone won't be able to sleep tonight worrying it was the model that I filled, not my fingers.....Blast, could've been a great opportunity to call for my bouncy nurse, where's that knife gone?

Ron

N

noble

The surgery looks like a success, will the patient survive her docktor ron?

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good greif man!

na seriously well cut up Ron. Its the sort of thing I could end up doing too, but I think that before I try any thing like that i should learn to build an aeroplane first!

Cant wait to see what you do with the flaps....lol.

Eagerly awaiting the next installment!

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Good greif man! na seriously well cut up Ron. Its the sort of thing I could end up doing too, but I think that before I try any thing like that i should learn to build an aeroplane first!

Cant wait to see what you do with the flaps....lol.

Eagerly awaiting the next installment!

Ian M
I haven't lost the plot Ian, honest.

It's just that both Gern and I found the kit so bad with no detail worth a carrot, that we were left with no option but to go off on a tangent with the build.

I hope it works out O.K. as I am (as usual !) altering and thinking what to do as I go along......I need a drink!

Cheers,

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Im really looking forward to seeing what happens to this one ron, I love something different like yours and gerns.Good luck with whatever it is youre planning , and ill see you sunday!! cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Im really looking forward to seeing what happens to this one ron, I love something different like yours and gerns.Good luck with whatever it is youre planning , and ill see you sunday!! cheers tony
Thanks Tony, great news that you will be at Cosford on Sunday. Safe trip mate.

Me and the present Mrs. Ron are camping Sat. night about 5mls North so we are dead handy so I can have a lie in.....I'll probably need one, the pub is only a few yards from the camp site.....

Bring it on!!!

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Last update before I head off to Cosford later this afternoon....

Two more pictures of the build. I have painted the 190 in a near enough, rather rough mottling. The reason being is that it will be well hidden by the weathering so getting it anything like accurate is not required. (What a cop out, you cry!)

Hopefully when I return, I will get stuck in to the decals and the 'Super Weathering'

Cheers boys and Carrie,

Ron

View attachment 22904

View attachment 22905

FW 190 005..jpg

FW 190..jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
See, you can make silk purse out of a pig ear. Thats looking nice Ron, can't wait to see it all done mate.

Enjoy your weekend too, don't forget we want pictures lol.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks John,

A couple of questions for the Flyboys I would like answering please:-

Apart from the control surfaces, was there any more fabric on the airframe?

Do you think the rubber wheels would disintegrate in 60 odd yrs. or would they be still inside the wheel wells as I guess the undercarriage would be in the up position for the belly landing?....OR, would the whole lot, legs and all be ripped out on impact?

Any thoughts anyone?

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Ron,that was the only fabric on the airframe. Tyres definitely survive long periods underwater as several recoveries show. Would the undercarriage be ripped off? I doubt it,it is attached to the wing spar and is a strong structure. Would the doors be ripped off? I'd say that's a possibility.A lot of ditched aircraft survive in remarkably good condition.

Landing on water ,wheels down, would be suicidal!

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Hi Ron,that was the only fabric on the airframe. Tyres definitely survive long periods underwater as several recoveries show. Would the undercarriage be ripped off? I doubt it,it is attached to the wing spar and is a strong structure. Would the doors be ripped off? I'd say that's a possibility.A lot of ditched aircraft survive in remarkably good condition.Landing on water ,wheels down, would be suicidal!

Cheers

Steve
Thanks for the info. Steve, I appreciate it.

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Ron ,I'm getting confused by all these Fw190s. You are doing a D-9 so, if it would be interesting,there is a chance that the flaps at least may have been wood. I'm not sure about the tail,late Messerschmitts had wooden fins. I'll try to check. Of course if you've already started hacking that's fine too.

Cheers

Steve

B

Backbreaker

Looking great Ron, having not started mine yet I'm picking up so many tips.

Can't wait to see what you've got up your sleeve, so to speak.

Joolz.