GB not GB 1/72 BoB entry, Airfix Spitfire

D

dm73

Your showing off now, building and driving. :smiling5:, just started mine last night but already in trouble, stuck more bits to my fingers than each other, didn't realise how small 1/72 kits were.

B

Bunkerbarge

A good test of your modelling skills then!

Always a shock to see the bits fall out of the bag of a 1/72nd fighter. Good fun though!

M

m1ks

Fuselage inners painted along with seat / base and pilot, didn't bother with any detail for the inner, as there is none to begin with and i'm modelling this one landing gear retracted in flight, (which is a rarity for me)

Briefly toyed with the idea of leaving the face unpainted, as per pic and have one of James Camerons Avatars flying, then I remembered it's supposed to be a BoB and I don't think weird blue aliens flew spitfires? :smiling3:

View attachment 20785View attachment 20786View attachment 20787

I confess I cheated, I actually parked before I satarted building :laughing:

View attachment 27814

View attachment 27815

View attachment 27816

spit72 1.jpg

spit72 2.jpg

spit72 3.jpg

M

m1ks

Update

Fuselage halves tailplane and wings fitted, glue drying here.

During assembly, (as is all too often the case), the wee fiddly little antenna thingummy, (see I know all the technical names), under the port side wing pinged gracefully from my tweezers across the room never to be found, (until i've completed the build and paint naturally), so a quick fiddle with a flat number tag from the sprue and a piece of stretched sprue and et voila, one scratch built thingummy wotsit.

A couple of smears of filler at wing roots and where the front and rear meet underneath, gaps weren't bad for an old airfix mould, (I reckon it's been rejigged a little to be honest, I don't recall everything fitting so well when i was younger).

The one real annoyance so far is the tailplane and rudder are twisted, (apparent in the top view pic below), slightly to the right, Initially when setting the wing dihedral, (I go for looks about right BTW, not that I measure angles or anything), I've pondered taking a hot air gun to it and try to twist it but then if I mess it up further i'll be really annoyed, might just go with it, the odd thing is it must have been same both sides of the mould as there was no twisting one side when gluing them, possibly a production line prob?

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's a nice little Spitfire you've got going there. I've seen the movie "The Battle of Britain" and there were definitely no blue aliens in it lol.

The thingummyjig that you broke and so elegantly fixed is the pitot tube,a device for measuring air speed.

Cheers

Steve

M

m1ks

\ said:
That's a nice little Spitfire you've got going there. I've seen the movie "The Battle of Britain" and there were definitely no blue aliens in it lol.The thingummyjig that you broke and so elegantly fixed is the pitot tube,a device for measuring air speed.

Cheers

Steve
That's clearly becuase James Cameron didn't direct!, I dread to think what might have occurred if Stanley Kubrik got his hands on it.

:bigmistake:

Ahh, so that's where the Pitot tube lives on these, I never really gave it much thought though i've glued numerous ones on Spitfires and Hurricanes, I always assumed they were related to the radio along with the washing line on the roof, which apprently double as a handy antenna, clever eh.

:laughing:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Some nice work on James May's Spitfire.

Have fun, John

M

m1ks

Thankyou, just finished sanding the wing roots and managed to lose some detail on one wing so will have to try and rescribe hopefully will prime them tomorrow.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Coming along nicely.

I like the scratch building on the pitot tube. I bet the original will turn up as soon as the model is finished, it usually does with me!

Ron

D

dm73

Thats coming on great, can't wait for the paint to start going on. My thingummy also shot off with a comedic richocet sound off the lamp in to the depths of the shed.:darn:

Darren

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've used an old Indian trick.....

My 109's thingummy, and other bits are to be buried in a field!

Ron

S

Spyderman_uk

Does anyone know where I could get decals for alternate serial aircraft?

I already have an Airfix Spitfire MK1 with the registration HA Z that came with the kit.

I have another kit I want to build and show alongside HA Z, but don't want it to have the identical registration.

Would like it to be from same squadron if possible.

I have looked at Hannants site and can only find decals for MKIX Spits. Also searched elsewhere, but only found for larger scales.

Thanks.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Coming along very nicely M1ks - looks flawless!

Cheers

P

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking good. Check Hannants again for sheets of code letters. They will do the standard RAF code letters in various colours for 1/72. You can stil use the kit roundels and other stencils. You'll get enough letters to build a whole wing of Spitfires!

Cheers

Steve

S

Spyderman_uk

\ said:
Check Hannants again for sheets of code letters. They will do the standard RAF code letters in various colours for 1/72. You can stil use the kit roundels and other stencils. You'll get enough letters to build a whole wing of Spitfires!Steve
Cheers Steve, I'll give Hannants another search after this weekend. Their search isn't the most intuitive.

See what I can find at Telford first!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Their search isn't the most intuitive.
Very diplomatic! I think it's terrible. I always end up plowing through dozens of pages and if I narrow my search I get no results at all.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Terry try some of these: Hannants - Plastic model kits and accessories=

Might be some thing there you could use.

Ian M

M

m1ks

Update, underside and retracts painted with Tamiya Sky, almost had a minor disaster, i'd just glued the canopy on then realised that i'd not glued the gunsight in, :emo2:, fortunately managed to pry the canopy off, fit the gunsight and refit the canopy.No pics as i'm sure you all know what Tamiya sky looks like :smiling3: